Cruise Critic Community
celoplyr

Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

Congratulations to all who scored such a great deal -- I sure wish I'd checked the boards that night and found it before the prices went back up.   Now that it's resolved and they're honoring the lower prices as booked, I wonder how that costly mistake might affect prices going forward.  I wonder if this will hinder "sales" on beverage packages or discounts for a while to make up for the lost revenue from this error on their part.  I guess time will tell.....

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Like I said earlier,  not really for nothing. Cost me almost $700 for one and around $250 each for the other two.

I'm like you, lounge generally works with a few supplements outside loung hours or area.  

But Tito’s instead of NA. 

39 minutes ago, kennc said:

100%

RANT COMING, you have been warned.

I am humored by the general sense of self importance, power, knowledge and entitlement of the posters complaining the loudest.

For the record, I saw the rate and knew that if you see it, book it.  I might not be there in a few seconds.  You can always cancel later.  I did.  I knew and know it can be cancelled pursuant to the agreement I entered into voluntarily with RCCL.  The same type of agreement we ALL enter into with ALL commercial cruise lines.  I am waiting to see if we save a few dollars.  

If we do, great, if not, so be it. 

"This is where (sic) royal is in deep poop."  

"Where the excrement really hit the rapidly spinning cooling device"

The legal department is in crisis control (paraphrasing an earlier opinion).

Those complaining about a decision that hasn't even been made yet, please do yourself a service and do a google search on this "PR nightmare."  There are exactly two reports, one on Royal Caribbean Blog and one on Cruise Radio (whatever that is).  Both of these reports make this whole affair seem pretty mundane, innocuous and irrelevant, pretty much, "move along, nothing to see here." 

This despite that a poster "alerted" CBS News of this "developing story."  Apparently CBS News, nor any other news or internet  entity find this to be particularly newsworthy.

Not seeing "deep poop" or stuff hitting the fan in the real world.  

As to the "legal department", since Royal is clearly and unambiguously within their right to NOT honor purchases made at this rate, I am sure the "legal department" is business as usual.  Zero legal consequences for RCCL if they cancel every last one of the packages purchased at $18.  You may disagree and you can opt to seek arbitration against them (another term of your contract), but I would put your chance of success below 0%.

My guess as to what is really happening;

PR department probably monitoring internet and social media to see how wide spread the "outrage" is and any press coverage of it (or more accurately, lack thereof) and reporting back to the money people.

Another real word fact on this issue,  tomorrow is the 4th of July.  Likely to see some bad news dumps today as "PR 101" mandates it is best to dump bad news before a Holiday when no one is paying attention.  By next Monday, no one will care what a cruise line did last week.

Ultimately, I believe, it is the money people who will guide the final decision. It is the accountants deciding the relative costs of their various options so they can determine the best BUSINESS decision. 

Read "BUSINESS decision" to mean dollars (present and future) lost or potentially lost.  It may be honoring the purchases is the best option, and all the loud criers in here will feel that their voice was heard (it will not have been, despite what RCCL's PR department puts out in a statement).  It may be cancelling them all and making a good will gesture is the best option (even if it really isn't much of a gesture  - 30% off).  It may be something different, but it will be a pure business decision.

RCCL is filling their ships and ordering more, their stock is up tremendously, their profits are outstanding.  That is what a business is supposed to do, even if it sometimes seems like they are neglecting, hurting, offending, minimizing customers.  Whatever the outcome of "Beverage PackageGATE," it will not have a significant effect on RCCL's business.

I have had plenty of disputes with RCCL over the experiences of me and my family.  I do not post about it, I take it up directly with them and am satisfied with the outcomes.  For now, we will continue to sail with them.

As a customer, I put on my big boy pants and make decisions that work for me and my family, understanding how the real world works, like it or not.

But, you do you. 

I hope all of us that purchased it, get the package at $18. 

Happy sailing.

Stock down from the one I posted yesterday

Screenshot_20190703-133430_Google.thumb.jpg.91624e5845f8334ac3823877cd5737cb.jpg

Looking forward now to the many posts still yet to come, this is great entertainment. Congrats to those who got the good price...though I am not impressed with the begrudging tone of the response email and shifting blame to an intern. IMO they still sold a service at a price they quoted, it would been much more classy had they merely said right away it was their mistake and they would honor it. It's costing them a bit of profit is all, not crippling the company.  

Now a related question.  This will only be my 2nd drink package cruise.  Can I take my Freestyle cup, fill it with Coke Zero and stop by a bar and ask for a couple of shots of Captain to be added?

I just got the email they are honoring the $18.00 a day beverage package. I want to say thank you Royal for doing the right thing. I will be a loyal RC customer. Good call!

Woo hoo!

Dear Guest,

Well, this round’s on us.

On Monday, July 1st, 2019, from 4:00 PM to 1:30 AM EST, we posted incorrect pricing of $18 USD per person, per day, for Deluxe Beverage Packages. Given that we typically price these packages at about $55 USD per person, per day, it was the (messed up) deal of the century.

This was a BIG mistake! It might have been bad code, a random computer glitch — or maybe we just need to reinstate our intern typing test.

Any which way, it was our error, and we’ll own it. Enjoy your deep, deep discount — while we go drown our sorrows.

Happy 4th of July!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

4 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Now a related question.  This will only be my 2nd drink package cruise.  Can I take my Freestyle cup, fill it with Coke Zero and stop by a bar and ask for a couple of shots of Captain to be added?

Others may chime in on this but I don't think they will.

6 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Looking forward now to the many posts still yet to come, this is great entertainment. Congrats to those who got the good price...though I am not impressed with the begrudging tone of the response email and shifting blame to an intern. IMO they still sold a service at a price they quoted, it would been much more classy had they merely said right away it was their mistake and they would honor it. It's costing them a bit of profit is all, not crippling the company.  

Maybe one shot. 

this will be our first cruise in 10 years and our first time ever having a drink package, we would have never purchased the package normally and now we get to test it out and see if its worth it for us to book it on future cruises....excited for our cruise, only 449 days to go, need to start preping my liver

If someone sees a "too good to be true" on Labadee Cabanas for 2020 cruises, be sure to let me know.  Our first 9 days cruise would get real special fast!

That is great that everyone gets to keep there discounted package! Enjoy. 

52 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

I swear you act like this is going to have a long term impact on royal. The “PR nightmare” that everyone is throwing around doesn’t exist. I’ll say it again, if carnival can survive the poop cruise and still make billions in profits I’m sure royal will survive this. All the people huffing and puffing about never sailing royal again are just blowing hot air. Sure a small percentage may really stop but the majority will continue to give royal their money. 

But it please alert the press. This clearly is more important than real news and should be a top story. 

What I find amusing is the amount of people that are now saying well we are only mad because of the poor communication. Yeah sure. You and everyone else would still be here complaining even if they had said right away that it was a mistake and wouldn’t be honored. But people will do and say anything to get something for free. 

I don't think 168$ is free. do you?  How do you feel about Royal charging me 200% on a solo cruise?  "Being greedy" are they, getting free stuff LOL.  Where's my free stuff?

BTW, I just returned to cruising again after 16 years and I am not loyal Royal or to any other cruise  line.  I just want to be respected as a customer, not being diddled around like I am some naive schmuck.

In fact I am going on a HAL cruise for my birthday in November.

7 minutes ago, BillOh said:

You can get a shot no problem and then pour it in yourself. Not sure the limit or if they'd be willing to do multiple shots for you or if you'll just have to wait a bit between each pour

38 minutes ago, karena1 said:

OMG Royal Caribbean you are the best!  Just got my email.  I booked this discounted package on 8 cruises for next year, so a very happy person right now!!

That is a fantastic savings for you. So nice. 👍

8 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Yes, but you have to be creative about it cuz you can only get 1 shot at a time.  so you'll have to get one from 1 bar and either walk away and go back or stop at the next bar and get another one.  it would be far easier to just get them to make the captain and coke zero for you.  you can then pour it in your cup and order a second one to also pour into the cup 🙂

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

You can get a shot no problem and then pour it in yourself. Not sure the limit or if they'd be willing to do multiple shots for you or if you'll just have to wait a bit between each pour

I was thinking along those lines, I walk a lot on a cruise. I can fill the cup with plenty of ice and hit 4 bars in 20 minutes probably.  

32 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Undoubtedly a fair percentage that I wouldn't even speculate on will change their plans or reservation in some way and the "deal" won't be transferrable.  

I would have to say you are right, but I think that is fair as well. 

Edited by Mikew0805

If your cruise is booked through a travel agent, the travel agent will receive the notification email. 

11 minutes ago, rhuntington3 said:

Others may chime in on this but I don't think they will.

You may order a double shot and add it to your tumbler yourself if they do not combine it for you.  I have done this with coffee and Bailey's

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

16 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Come on.. I think they were being humorous.