Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Well, this round’s on us.

On Monday, July 1st, 2019, from 4:00 PM to 1:30 AM EST, we posted incorrect pricing of $18 USD per person, per day, for Deluxe Beverage Packages. Given that we typically price these packages at about $55 USD per person, per day, it was the (messed up) deal of the century.

This was a BIG mistake! It might have been bad code, a random computer glitch — or maybe we just need to reinstate our intern typing test.

Any which way, it was our error, and we’ll own it. Enjoy your deep, deep discount — while we go drown our sorrows.

Happy 4th of July!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iWillSailAway said:

I didn’t purchase it, but I am pulling for you guys. And I think the case to honor it might be stronger than what initially looked. 

First, for every person who bought at an exceptional value to them there is at least another person who otherwise wouldn’t have bought did so just because the price made sense.   So the total revenue might not be all that different. 

Second, because the price is low and easy to get your money’s worth the heavy drinkers are less likely to go totally crazy.  The moderate drinkers will just use it like a refreshment package with benefit.  So the alcohol consumption may not be all that much more.  

In addition, if Royal admits glitch the only fair thing to do for each purchase is to revert back to whatever sale price it was at.  Royal might not have that system readily built in.  It would mean a round of over flooding their call centers.  

Not to mention, the much easier path to positive PR if they choose to honor it. 

We will see. 

Looks like they took your line of reasoning!   😅

Edited by Sailor Taylor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joier said:

I just asked on another place if the new email for 30% off the beverage package was a good deal. I’ve never bought one. 

As mentioned in your other thread, pricing is unpredictable (ignore the 30% off marketing). You can buy now and if the price goes down, cancel and rebook.

8 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

"It might have been bad code, a random computer glitch — or maybe we just need to reinstate our intern typing test."

I wonder why they put this nonsense in the e-mail. Of course they know exactly what has happened. If not they'd shut down the web site until they did to prevent further "glitches". A computer is very unlikely to say $18 when it should have been $55. My guess is that it's either a human error, or a deliberate test to learn a lot at rather low costs. The amount of data gathered must be huge.

They're playing to their audience with a humorous email. If they were a technical firm with several technical clients they would have done a full RCA with the details they could safely release. But for the average member of the public? Does it really matter if it was a typo, a mistaken database query, a bad code push, etc? I'd be interested, but that's because I'm a software engineer so I'm interested in those details.

Basically they're just trying to lighten the mood and get their guests away from the anger and frustration being vented on social media and to a happy, excited, fun place.

• Like 8

Hmm, I should design a shirt that says, "Forgive me, I have the $18 drink package" and sell them. It might save me from making a few apologies walking back to my cabin.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Basically they're just trying to lighten the mood and get their guests away from the anger and frustration being vented on social media and to a happy, excited, fun place.

I agree, and think they did a great job.  I think everyone should be applauding Royal now for how they stepped up and took care of all of this.  I totally expected it to go the other way and be canceled, so how they handled it is a wonderful surprise.

Edited by karena1
  • Like 5

Don't have a clue how many were sold but the first ones available were for cruises starting in Feb 2020.  I would think that a good number of the ones booked will end up getting cancelled due to folks changing and/or cancelling their bookings for whatever reason

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

Now a related question.  This will only be my 2nd drink package cruise.  Can I take my Freestyle cup, fill it with Coke Zero and stop by a bar and ask for a couple of shots of Captain to be added?

You can ask for a shot and then add it yourself.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, julsb6 said:

Yes, but you have to be creative about it cuz you can only get 1 shot at a time.  so you'll have to get one from 1 bar and either walk away and go back or stop at the next bar and get another one.  it would be far easier to just get them to make the captain and coke zero for you.  you can then pour it in your cup and order a second one to also pour into the cup 🙂

Most bars don't have the Coke Zero, if I am not mistaken.  While I don't like Diet coke, its ok with the Captain. 

For those who have not received the email yet: check your junk/spam folder.

My email came in an hour ago, and went straight there. Just found it.  I am sure they are sending these in bulk, and many spam filters automatically flag any emails with lots of recipients.

I agree with other posters that this was the smart (and ethical) thing to do on RCL’s part.

We have never purchased a beverage package before (and have taken many RCL cruises). Now we have purchased six 7 day packages.

I think many folks may be like us ... so this may well turn out to be profitable for RCL. I hope so!

Jan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Don't have a clue how many were sold but the first ones available were for cruises starting in Feb 2020.  I would think that a good number of the ones booked will end up getting cancelled due to folks changing and/or cancelling their bookings for whatever reason

Don't know about some, but for sure I know-unless it is an emergency-we don't ever cancel our cruises, that is why I always book non refundable deposits and then carry trip insurance.

2 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Most bars don't have the Coke Zero, if I am not mistaken.  While I don't like Diet coke, its ok with the Captain. 

depending on the bartender and how far away the machine is, they will go get something they do not have for you.  but either way, the end result is still only 1 shot at a time.

1 minute ago, jcross2 said:

We have never purchased a beverage package before (and have taken many RCL cruises). Now we have purchased six 7 day packages.

I think many folks may be like us ... so this may well turn out to be profitable for RCL. I hope so!

Jan

We always buy the package, even though we are D+.  So I got it for 4 7 nighters and 4 3 night cruises so saved a ton of money on this one.

2 minutes ago, julsb6 said:

depending on the bartender and how far away the machine is, they will go get something they do not have for you.  but either way, the end result is still only 1 shot at a time.

You are probably right, but this maybe one case where a generous tip on day 1 may allow some relaxation of procedure.