Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lovetotraveltx

Ladies Dinner Wear Question

Recommended Posts

We will be on QM2 in August, crossing from New York to SOU for the first time. First time on Cunard. On the non-gala evenings are nice pants/trousers with a dressy shirt OK for the ladies, or do you need a dress every night? Also, will I be uncomfortable if I do nice cocktail dresses versus a long gown on Gala Evenings? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We will be on QM2 in August, crossing from New York to SOU for the first time. First time on Cunard. On the non-gala evenings are nice pants/trousers with a dressy shirt OK for the ladies, or do you need a dress every night? Also, will I be uncomfortable if I do nice cocktail dresses versus a long gown on Gala Evenings? Thank you!

Everything sounds good xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear what you would be comfortable wearing to a fine restaurant and you will be o.k.. Cunard positions itself as a 'dressy' cruise line so the dressier you are the better, even on non formal evenings. You won't be uncomfortable with a cocktail dress on a formal evening, and you will find many ladies wearing them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have three Gala Nights on my voyage... I love to dress up- that said, two of those nights I will wear shorter cocktail (sparkly) dresses and on the third I will wear a long gown

 

On the smart nights, I will wear dresses... but I like wearing dresses more than pants... so that is just my personal choice... like BigMike911 said... just think of what you would like to wear to a really nice restaurant.

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has a Simple Black Dress that she wears on non-gala evenigs, set off with different jewelry each night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Thank you. Any examples of what you mostly see/wear to non gala evenings?

Some items I am bringing for the “smart” nights

Black dress

Burgandy wrap dress

Printed dresses with interesting details (example below of a printed belted wrap dress I am packing)

Dressy skirt and top separates 

etc...

All with jewelry to make the outfit look polished and beautiful

 

 

 

 

3643A3AA-DB4E-4B66-A034-269567AA02A9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Cunard website there are photos of what they deem suitable dress wear. Having just returned from my first Cunard cruise in 4 years I noticed a lot  of casual wear on smart attire evenings and quite frankly wouldn't worry about it. Trousers and T shirt, scruffy dresses, trainers and slippers all worn! Men still have to wear jackets though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have travelled many times with Cunard. Men have always to wear collared shirt and jacket in the  evenings for the main Restaurant. You also mention scruffy dresses and trainers, once again, I have also found lady’s  always seem to make an effort to look good at dinner.🍷🥃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

Luckymal I was quite shocked by what I saw, but it was a minority. One lady was nicknamed "bag lady" by some fellow cruisers. On the photos of menswear on the Cunard site there is one of someone wearing a jumper and jacket, can't quite see if there is a shirt. First night on board men did not have to wear a jacket. https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

I would never advise anyone to dress down, just don't over worry.

Edited by Cathygh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luckymal said:

Men have always to wear collared shirt and jacket in the  evenings for the main Restaurant.🍷🥃

People might have to clutch at their pearls, but I don't think a collared shirt is strictly required on Cunard.

 

separateslooks4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the problem is that the guidelines given in the Daily Programme differ to the website. The Daily Programme on Saturday 29th on QE said "Smart trousers with a shirt and jacket for gentlemen" but you could be more casual in the Lido, Pub, Garden Lounge, Casino & Yacht Club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gent in the photo is wearing a shirt.

 

I've seen people turned away for lack of a jackets but if be surprised to see so done turned away for lack of a collar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

People might have to clutch at their pearls, but I don't think a collared shirt is strictly required on Cunard.

 

separateslooks4.jpg

This 'outfit' is suitable for a beach outing. Nowhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two different questions:

 

1) Does it conform?

2) Should it be worn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

This 'outfit' is suitable for a beach outing. Nowhere else. 

Geez !!! You would die of heat stroke on a beach outing in this !!!!!!!   This is the acceptable look for evening casual in the under 40’s today . Our twin sons are 34, both at the top of their game in their respective careers in the Uk and America . Very smart look. Love it or hate it, get used to it. It’s here to stay 

Edited by fizzy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

Geez !!! You would die of heat stroke on a beach outing in this !!!!!!!   This is the acceptable look for evening casual in the under 40’s today . Our twin sons are 34, both at the top of their game in their respective careers in the Uk and America . Very smart look. Love it or hate it, get used to it. It’s here to stay 

 

I don't know what beach you are thinking of, but it's clearly not one in southern England. More likely die of frostbite.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahah !!!! That’s true ! Down here in Bournemouth it isn't too bad !! But i  can say for a fact you wouldn't see this attire along the beach !!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2019 at 9:46 AM, fizzy1 said:

Geez !!! You would die of heat stroke on a beach outing in this !!!!!!!   This is the acceptable look for evening casual in the under 40’s today . Our twin sons are 34, both at the top of their game in their respective careers in the Uk and America . Very smart look. Love it or hate it, get used to it. It’s here to stay 

Hopefully your sons have better taste than wearing trainers and trousers half mast ( in the evening)  I'm all for this sort of look my self (with no socks)  however,  I'd be ditching the trainers for a pair of Gucci loafers.   

Edited to add;     If their hair is that length they might want to be ahead of their game and tie it up in a 'Man Bun'.... now we are talking style 😉

Edited by Bell Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We  frequently travel with Cunard and  for me smart casual is a cocktail dress - lace, silk or grosgrain.  Maxi dress or an evening jumpsuit.  

 

Gala dress is long.  Silk or chiffon if we have flights on cruises from Southampton including world cruises beaded dresse are taken. I also wear evening shoes and take an asortment of evening bags. As these can make or break an outfit.

 

Unknown-2 copy 3.jpeg

Unknown copy 3.jpeg

 

Unknown-1 copy 5.jpeg

Unknown copy 11.jpeg

Edited by Elephant1151
blurred photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

We  frequently travel with Cunard and  for me smart casual is a cocktail dress - lace, silk or grosgrain.  Maxi dress or an evening jumpsuit.  

 

Gala dress is long.  Silk or chiffon if we have flights on cruises from Southampton including world cruises beaded dresse are taken. I also wear evening shoes and take an asortment of evening bags. As these can make or break an outfit.

 

Unknown-2 copy 3.jpeg

Unknown copy 3.jpeg

 

Unknown-1 copy 5.jpeg

Unknown copy 11.jpeg

Gorgeous !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 3:46 AM, fizzy1 said:

Geez !!! You would die of heat stroke on a beach outing in this !!!!!!!   This is the acceptable look for evening casual in the under 40’s today . Our twin sons are 34, both at the top of their game in their respective careers in the Uk and America . Very smart look. Love it or hate it, get used to it. It’s here to stay 

Do they actually wear sneakers (trainers)  with out socks in the evening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...