Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
rl787

Has the dress code eased slightly in the MDR?

We are just looking to start cruising with Seabourn again after a break of 4 years. When we last sailed normally in the MDR I would wear a jacket, sometimes with a Tie. I do think generally dress has relaxed slightly so would smart trousers with a shirt and stylish classic sweater / cardigan be acceptable these days? I do still believe on Formal nights a dark suit with a tie is appreciated.

Jacket is optional in all venues for 'Elegant Casual' evenings. The current dress code specifies a 'collared dress shirt or sweater'. 

Jacket or suit required for Formal in the MDR. Other venues Elegant Casual applies.

That said, on my last SB cruise there were a lot of varied interpretations of the dress code...

Just off the Ovation for 15 days. Most evenings in the restaurant, people were fairly dressed. Probably 30 to 40 percent of the men had a sportcoat on. Not many ties. We found it enjoyable to people watch, as many of the women were very elegant. Didn't see many people that dressed down. 

Our our recent cruise (Kobe to Vancouver), men's dress was all over the map in the MDR in the evening.  There was everything from coat and tie (my husband many nights) to Hawaiian shirts (and this was a cold weather cruise).  We saw ski sweaters!  If you take a navy blazer and perhaps another sport coat, you will be among the best dressed--which is not a bad place to be if that is your inclination.  Have a wonderful time. 

You are fine with your current plan, r1787, as long as you did not capitalize Tie because you like those really wide ones from the 70’s😊.

You will be one of the pax wesport and I would like to “ people watch.”

Where is your cruise? Some seem to get a but more casual casual ( as opposed to elegant casual) when weather is very hot or very cold, dress code notwithstanding, but most people comply with the dress code without problems.

People watch...........no one looks at me......I am a rotund Danny DeVito double...............however you may look at Mrs 787..........she is Christie Brinkley's more attractive younger sister. 

55 minutes ago, rl787 said:

People watch...........no one looks at me......I am a rotund Danny DeVito double...............however you may look at Mrs 787..........she is Christie Brinkley's more attractive younger sister. 

If you dine in the MDR wearing shorts (and these were short shorts!) and a Nike vest as I saw in December, I expect people will look at you 😉

23 hours ago, Isklaar said:

If you dine in the MDR wearing shorts (and these were short shorts!) and a Nike vest as I saw in December, I expect people will look at you 😉

Maybe they should look at their own judgement and control issues instead of what others are wearing.

35 minutes ago, wripro said:

Maybe they should look at their own judgement and control issues instead of what others are wearing.

Maybe they should.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:09 AM, Isklaar said:

Jacket is optional in all venues for 'Elegant Casual' evenings. The current dress code specifies a 'collared dress shirt or sweater'. 

Jacket or suit required for Formal in the MDR. Other venues Elegant Casual applies.

That said, on my last SB cruise there were a lot of varied interpretations of the dress code...

I found the same...a lot of variations.

I know that some people here really hate the dress code threads.  They need to skip this thread.  I will say what I have finally figured out.  Elegant casual means different things to different people.  For some, a Hawaiian shirt IS elegant and casual.  For others, it is a foreign mode of dress.  Some are used to wearing jackets whenever they go out to dinner in their regular everyday lives---others seldom wear a jacket at all, so the idea of a jacket fitting a casual designation would not occur to them.  All SB passengers are not cut from the same cloth and do not have the same life experiences; thus, the different interpretations of elegant casual.  And yes, a Hawaiian shirt is collared and for some is a dress shirt.  I remember when my husband had a legal case in Hawaii which entailed frequent trips to that lovely place.  He said that all the lawyers (except when they were in court) wore Hawaiian shirts for all of their meetings.  He acquired some of his own so that he would fit in.  He would arrive home very very early in the morning from his long flights and I would awake with a start at the sight of him in these shirts.  None of these shirts have accompanied him on any of our cruises.  In fact, I doubt that they are still in his closet.  That is not to say that anything is wrong with Hawaiian shirts--they just don't fit our idea of elegant casual.  We are all different.  

SLSD, you are spot on when you say people have different interpretations of elegant casual. There are many kinds of Hawaiian shirts, and for many of us on the west coast, a dressy Hawaiian shirt (think a bit more muted pattern, perhaps silk or a silk blend) is considered quite elegant and appropriate to wear for dressy occasions in warm weather.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I did not mean it as a discussion thread but more what people have observed. We are due to go on our next trip soon and as it is 4 years since our last Seabourn cruise which is quite a long time for trends to change slightly I was just wondering if the dress code has softened. Up to my last cruise I would always wear a jacket or sport coat every evening if we were dining in the MDR. For this trip I may drop the jacket on some evenings and wear a formal shirt and classic trousers with or without a sweater or cardigan that will still look smart. Personally I would never wear a Hawaiian shirt either on Seabourn or even in Hawaii. We Brits in general don't do casual well!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sunshineocean13 said:

SLSD, you are spot on when you say people have different interpretations of elegant casual. There are many kinds of Hawaiian shirts, and for many of us on the west coast, a dressy Hawaiian shirt (think a bit more muted pattern, perhaps silk or a silk blend) is considered quite elegant and appropriate to wear for dressy occasions in warm weather.

I appreciate that you understand what I am trying to say.  I had a personal epiphany one day and finally understood why there were different interpretations of elegant casual.  I don't know why it took me so long to get it.  I know I live in a total bubble in our area of Dallas---and everyone interprets elegant casual in pretty much the same way.  I understand that elegant casual is different in California.  I follow some blogs written by  (sophisticated) women from LA and San Francisco---and marvel that they wear denim jeans so many places that they go.  It's just a different place, a different aesthetic and style. 

Edited by SLSD

SLSD, Yes, and the Pacific Northwest and Seattle are even more casual. We're really upping our game when we go on Seabourn!

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

I know that some people here really hate the dress code threads.  They need to skip this thread.  I will say what I have finally figured out.  Elegant casual means different things to different people.  For some, a Hawaiian shirt IS elegant and casual.  For others, it is a foreign mode of dress.  Some are used to wearing jackets whenever they go out to dinner in their regular everyday lives---others seldom wear a jacket at all, so the idea of a jacket fitting a casual designation would not occur to them.  All SB passengers are not cut from the same cloth and do not have the same life experiences; thus, the different interpretations of elegant casual.  And yes, a Hawaiian shirt is collared and for some is a dress shirt.  I remember when my husband had a legal case in Hawaii which entailed frequent trips to that lovely place.  He said that all the lawyers (except when they were in court) wore Hawaiian shirts for all of their meetings.  He acquired some of his own so that he would fit in.  He would arrive home very very early in the morning from his long flights and I would awake with a start at the sight of him in these shirts.  None of these shirts have accompanied him on any of our cruises.  In fact, I doubt that they are still in his closet.  That is not to say that anything is wrong with Hawaiian shirts--they just don't fit our idea of elegant casual.  We are all different.  

Another reason for everyone to mind their own business and stop worrying about what others are wearing. If a Hawaiian shirt is elegant casual to some that's just fine. At Downtown Abbey a tuxedo was considered elegant casual when they used to wear white tie and tails to dinner. Let's never forget Bob Dylan....the times they are a changing!

3 hours ago, wripro said:

Another reason for everyone to mind their own business and stop worrying about what others are wearing. If a Hawaiian shirt is elegant casual to some that's just fine. At Downtown Abbey a tuxedo was considered elegant casual when they used to wear white tie and tails to dinner. Let's never forget Bob Dylan....the times they are a changing!

Wripro, that was the whole point of my discussion--to say that elegant casual is in the eye of the beholder.  Fine with me.  

21 hours ago, SLSD said:

Wripro, that was the whole point of my discussion--to say that elegant casual is in the eye of the beholder.  Fine with me.  

And I was agreeing with you.