Radiance vs. Sunrise

Sizzlechest

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am kinda surprised that both the Sunrise and Radiance will be sailing out of NY for the summer next year. But i do agree, Carnival should bring back the Horizon that was here last year or some other top of the line ship.

Back in the day they would have a Spirit-class ship (we sailed both Legend and Miracle) sailing the 8-day Caribbean cruises while Triumph/Victory (and later Glory) sailed the 4 and 5-day Canada cruises. In the fall the Canada cruises switched to 7-day itineraries. For a while they tried Splendor and they scheduled year-round cruises. Didn't work. But I do miss the short Canada cruises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Back in the day they would have a Spirit-class ship (we sailed both Legend and Miracle) sailing the 8-day Caribbean cruises while Triumph/Victory (and later Glory) sailed the 4 and 5-day Canada cruises. In the fall the Canada cruises switched to 7-day itineraries. For a while they tried Splendor and they scheduled year-round cruises. Didn't work. But I do miss the short Canada cruises.

Didn’t work is an understatement 

44 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

i loved the splendor cruises in the winter months..8 day cruise for only 400 per person for an inside cabin..helll yea!!

just curious - what didn't work about sailing year round out of NYC? Other lines do I believe still. We love sailing out of NYC/NJ but have avoided it in the winter due to it being a flight in cold weather vs a drive in warm weather. If we're already flying, may as well head south with the birds is how we look at it. That being said, if there was a really neat itinerary or new ship to check out cheap, we'd head on over. We did the Pride cheap in the winter out of Baltimore and it was nice.

Edited by lottiegreen56

6 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

just curious - what didn't work about sailing year round out of NYC? Other lines do I believe still.

Norwegian still sails years around out of NYC.

The main issue of sailing out of the winter months is the weather is cold for the first few days and last few days on the trip back to New York reducing the amount of outside activities . The seas can be a bit rough causing for a bumpy ride.

What i think killed Carnival year round sailing was the itinerary. it was an 8 day cruise that went to port canaveral, nassau and freeport. A horrible itinerary i think. Carnival should of done what Norwegian does in the winter months and that is the longer 12-14 days down to the Caribbean

47 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Norwegian still sails years around out of NYC.

The main issue of sailing out of the winter months is the weather is cold for the first few days and last few days on the trip back to New York reducing the amount of outside activities . The seas can be a bit rough causing for a bumpy ride.

What i think killed Carnival year round sailing was the itinerary. it was an 8 day cruise that went to port canaveral, nassau and freeport. A horrible itinerary i think. Carnival should of done what Norwegian does in the winter months and that is the longer 12-14 days down to the Caribbean

There are several factors, some of which you mentioned.  The biggest two are weather and itineraries.  Carnival is ssslllooowwwlllyyy branching our of their”locked in” ways of the past of set itins.   But the real answer is profit.  They feel they get the best out of both worlds.  They can satisfy a large market putting a ship in New York seasonally and then move to a warmer climate during colder months.  They much prefer to sail a ship where they can maximize the profits.  We have sailed on the Pride for NYE out of Baltimore but I was reticent to do so and we were lucky with the weather.  Three sailings later they two terrible days each way....

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

They can satisfy a large market putting a ship in New York seasonally and then move to a warmer climate during colder months.  They much prefer to sail a ship where they can maximize the profits. 

It's relatively easy for someone in the NYC area to "hop a flight to Miami Beach" (to use Billy Joel's words from "New York State of Mind") and get out of the cold winter weather in a matter of hours rather than two days or so. Our neighbors did a NCL cruise during Christmas week a few years back and their sons posted photos online of a snowball fight on the Lido deck.😃

• Like 1

We used to sail on the Miracle and Splendor out of NYC during the winter months. The same port stops were not exciting, but it was really nice to have a great vacation without having to fly south. Driving into Manhattan from South Jersey was so easy and so much cheaper than flying. The main pool area on Lido was covered, so we could sit around the pool in shorts and t-shirts. We really miss doing that. We know not all the ships have the retractable roofs. Does Norwegian really fill their ships during the winter so it's profitable for them? Why so different for Carnival?

52 minutes ago, mar214 said:

Does Norwegian really fill their ships during the winter so it's profitable for them?

my guess is YES because Norwegian has some of newest ships sailing during the winter out of New York like the Norwegian Bliss

Also during the summer months, Norwegian has their newest ships sailing out of New York like the Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Encore and  Norwegian Joy

I do not understand Carnival logic of sending medium refurbish ships to sail out of New York

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

my guess is YES because Norwegian has some of newest ships sailing during the winter out of New York like the Norwegian Bliss

Also during the summer months, Norwegian has their newest ships sailing out of New York like the Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Encore and  Norwegian Joy

I do not understand Carnival logic of sending medium refurbish ships to sail out of New York

Actually fairly easy to understand....... How many ships does NCL have supporting the US?  How many does Carnival have?  Where would you put the ship that can demand the best price, NY at 85% capacity for part of a year and 50% for the rest of the year or down south where you can demand premium full sailing 12 months a year?

Edited by jimbo5544