Cruise Critic Community

Can you tell me if you can share with others in the evening rather than just for two.  First time in Aqua 😀

1 minute ago, Bornforthis said:

Can you tell me if you can share with others in the evening rather than just for two.  First time in Aqua 😀

Yes, although the majority of seating is 2 tops, you should have no problem sharing.

Yes, you can certainly share if you have some other Aqua folks in mind.  But it is not the norm to share tables in Blu, with strangers.  The number of larger tables (larger then a 2 top) is limited and they are often used for small groups that indicate they want to dine together.  One reason (out of several) that we are no longer fans of Aqua Class is we do not enjoy being stuck at 2 tops for an entire cruise.   

Hank

We enjoyed having different people to talk to every night, and if you hit it off with someone you can certainly coordinate to sit together.

when we have gone to Blu at a busy time, we have been asked if we would share a table with others or if we preferred to wait for a separate table.  We have shared sometimes with very nice people. 

Many of the tables for two are very close to other tables for two, so you can easily talk to your neighbors if you/they want to.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, you can certainly share if you have some other Aqua folks in mind.  But it is not the norm to share tables in Blu, with strangers.  The number of larger tables (larger then a 2 top) is limited and they are often used for small groups that indicate they want to dine together.  One reason (out of several) that we are no longer fans of Aqua Class is we do not enjoy being stuck at 2 tops for an entire cruise.   

Hank

However the tables for two are very close to each other.  Sometimes almost attached.

We often see 2 or 3 tables put together in Blu for people who wish to sit together.  As you walk in to the restaurant (on Eclipse anyway) there are some large round tables.

On one cruise there were 5 couples (including us) who didn't know each other prior to the cruise.  We sat at the same 5 tables abreast, not always the same table, and throughout the cruise we got to know one another quite well.  On the last night the waiter placed all 5 tables together and we sat as a group of 10.  It was very special.

But seriously hear that the tables are so close together it is hard to believe they are seperate. One of the reasons we did not enjoy Blu. We prefer a table actually for two, despite being married for 46 years we enjoy each others company, planning the next day talking over the last day and that without people on adjoining tables butting into our conversation, as happened too many times.

On S class ships in particular, there are a number of tables for two you can sit at without having others practically in your lap (with the possible exception of Reflection, which has crammed extra tables into the same space due to more AQ  cabins on that ship).  We decide where to sit based on our mood.  Want to chat with our neighbors?  Ask for a seat in the section by the window.  Can't guarantee your neighbors will want to chat, but 9 out of 10 times they do.  Want some privacy?, ask for that and there are several to choose from.  Based on timing, you may need to wait, but you can get your preference.  On M class most of the seating is side by side, although most of the seats seem a little further apart than the close S class ones.

then the S class must be close, we were on M and a cigarette paper comes to mind.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

However the tables for two are very close to each other.  Sometimes almost attached.

Very true, especially on the S-Class ships.  But that does create its own issues.  One has to carefully feel out the neighboring tables to discover who wants to be social and who wants to stay inside their own 2-top cocoon.  We have run into to both types of folks and you can see that issue by just reading the posts on this thread.  There are some folks who want to be left alone at dinner which is something we respect.   On the Eclipse (and I think some other S Class ships) there is a wall in Blu that separates two parts of the restaurant.  There are holes/tunnels through the wall which are just part of the décor.  But on some cruises our table has been positioned so that we are on one side of the wall and can see another diner on the other side of the tube:)  On one occasion I got into a great discussion (through the tube) with a guy about football :).  Go figure.

Hank

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We often see 2 or 3 tables put together in Blu for people who wish to sit together.  As you walk in to the restaurant (on Eclipse anyway) there are some large round tables.

On one cruise there were 5 couples (including us) who didn't know each other prior to the cruise.  We sat at the same 5 tables abreast, not always the same table, and throughout the cruise we got to know one another quite well.  On the last night the waiter placed all 5 tables together and we sat as a group of 10.  It was very special.

We cruised with another couple in Blu and every evening our waiter pushed two 2-tops adjacent to the portholes together for us (we were always among the first 3 or 4 couples to be there when Blu opened each evening.)

On 7/3/2019 at 12:00 AM, Hlitner said:

One has to carefully feel out the neighboring tables to discover who wants to be social and who wants to stay inside their own 2-top cocoon.  We have run into to both types of folks and you can see that issue by just reading the posts on this thread.  There are some folks who want to be left alone at dinner which is something we respect. 

Hank

And some folk who don't take the hint when you don't want company. So if you want to be on your own, Blu is a risky business of hit and miss and being allowed and not allowed to have privacy. (Though privacy is impossible because you can hear the conversations on next table anyway)

8 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

And some folk who don't take the hint when you don't want company. So if you want to be on your own, Blu is a risky business of hit and miss and being allowed and not allowed to have privacy. (Though privacy is impossible because you can hear the conversations on next table anyway)

We have had more privacy with a table for 2 in the MDR.  On our last cruise, I measured 11. inches between tables.  That is not a lot.  One time, I asked a question and someone at the next table answered it.  

17 minutes ago, keesar said:

We have had more privacy with a table for 2 in the MDR.  On our last cruise, I measured 11. inches between tables.  That is not a lot.  One time, I asked a question and someone at the next table answered it.  

There is a reason many of call lines like Celebrity "Mass Market."  They are for the masses :).  These lines do the best they can cramming the maximum number of cruisers into a relatively limited space.  In various dining venues this usually manifests itself with tables being a bit close together along with a limited number of 2 tops.  As the mass market lines keep trying to find ways to increase revenue they tend to find ways to squeeze even more folks into that same confined space.  The Reflection crammed an additional 150 souls into essentially the same size ship as its smaller Solstice Class cousins (the Reflection did add a few thousand tons...most of which were related to additional cabins).  

Folks cannot have it all :).  If you want more space you need to consider the luxury lines where the overall space ratios are often 50% or more better than the mass market lines.  The Silhouette has a space ratio of about 42.4 tons per passenger.  Consider that the Seabourn Soujourn has a space ratio of nearly 72 tons per passenger!  These space ratios are a good indicator of the overall spaciousness of a ship.   You want more privacy you simply have to pay more money and go on the more spacious ships.

Hank

I think if you grew up cruising in the MDR where you were at a large table, the idea of camaraderie with your dinner companions comes naturally, and you don't mind talking to your neighbors in Blu.  If someone is stonefaced when asked a simple question, we back off.

But if Blu or a Suite is your first experience, the thought of chit-chatting with your neighbors is quite foreign...after all, you wouldn't do that sitting in a restaurant at home.

You just have to know what you want, what they want, and reconcile the two.  But know that the dynamic changes nightly.  One night you'll be next to "leave us alones", the next night you'll be next to chatty cathies.

9 hours ago, warmwinds said:

I think if you grew up cruising in the MDR where you were at a large table, the idea of camaraderie with your dinner companions comes naturally, and you don't mind talking to your neighbors in Blu.  If someone is stonefaced when asked a simple question, we back off.

But if Blu or a Suite is your first experience, the thought of chit-chatting with your neighbors is quite foreign...after all, you wouldn't do that sitting in a restaurant at home.

You just have to know what you want, what they want, and reconcile the two.  But know that the dynamic changes nightly.  One night you'll be next to "leave us alones", the next night you'll be next to chatty cathies.

I have been in many cruise lines MDR and at large tables, but last month with P and O in the MDR we had a table for two and plenty of space around us, as Keesar says, and we paid considerably less than when in Aqua.

It is not just about mass market, it is about greedy cruise lines like Celebrity who think they can charge high prices and give  poor service and quality. Aqua is a complete ripoff. As I have said before get a good balcony cabin, not AQ, and then spend the difference on speciality restaurants, rather than the overcrowded, and for me, poor quality menu in BLU. Though that still says t o me that Celebrity want to charge high prices and then get you to spend extra money eating in a decent restaurant.

In Blu on Reflection, there were 5 tables of two from the windows to the aisle.  On the other S-class ships, there have been 4 tables in the same area.  It is more difficult to serve meals with so little space between tables on Reflection.

This was done to accommodate the number of cruisers in Aqua Class.

Staff in Blu have always been hard working and accommodating.  We have enjoyed breakfast as less crowded and more relaxing for all.

2 hours ago, keesar said:

In Blu on Reflection, there were 5 tables of two from the windows to the aisle.  On the other S-class ships, there have been 4 tables in the same area.  It is more difficult to serve meals with so little space between tables on Reflection.

This was done to accommodate the number of cruisers in Aqua Class.

Staff in Blu have always been hard working and accommodating.  We have enjoyed breakfast as less crowded and more relaxing for all.

had one breakfast in BLU and then ate elsewhere. Food was rubbish and very very very slooooooow

Our Caribbean price has dropped quite a bit since we booked it. AQ is now the original price of our Verenda. I told my DH I will book AQ if the price between the two is $200. Ideally $150.

We are on the Summit which means the PG value will be severely limited

We are sailing AQ for the 1st time to AK on the millennium in 2020. I picked the cabin for the location.

We have never had a bad meal or poor service in BLU.  Of course we realize it it not for everyone, but to call the food rubbish is your opinion only.  The men and women working in BLU will do anything to  please even the fussiest diners.

Like many of you, we disliked the tables so close to each other. We love to talk to others, and prefer to start eating at the same time as the next table. This is unlikely in Blu. On Edge, the dining room Blu is very closed in. No view. No daylight or evening light. Better in other ships.

1 hour ago, Pentlands said:

had one breakfast in BLU and then ate elsewhere. Food was rubbish and very very very slooooooow

Sounds like you should go back to P&O as you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Sounds like you should go back to P&O as you enjoyed it.

What is sure I will not be going back to Celebrity, I outline what would be my strategy with cabins, if I were foolish enough to do so.

Sorry to post something which clearly you don't like, but did you know one is allowed  to do that, we are not all sychophants.