Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
babs135

Should We Watch?

Recommended Posts

Wednesday 10th July, 9pm on Channel 4 the programme  :  When Cruises Go Wrong.

 

And yes, of course I'll be watching 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Give it at least a bit of a view to see what it is like.

Besides, sometimes it is good to see what possible scenarios you may encounter while cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no idea what it's going to show, but of course booked it as soon as I saw the programme in the weekend papers...

I wonder whether it's going to be clips such as the infamous Fred O ship battling the winter storms to get home... that seems to appear on social media all the time. 

Possibly the Viking trouble... and of course Concordia.

Or else interviews with Brits who've lost their luggage; had no marmalade for breakfast; ran out of Black Sheep ale...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it may be more passenger related incidents that go badly rather than ships having issues, but then maybe it is cruises in bad weather events. I hope you guys will tell us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jo has it figured :classic_biggrin:

 

A few months back, a company called True North Productions used Cruise Critic to make contact with cruisers for a programme about "cruising".for an up-coming Channel 4 programme.

I had a couple of long phone chats with them - very friendly guy but despite his insistence that it was about cruising in general it became clear that they were only looking for negatives. For instance he kept asking me if I'd experienced a ship with noro-virus despite my telling him that I'd not even heard about any significant out-breaks in recent years.

So it's a pound-to-a-penny that noro will be in the programme :classic_rolleyes:

 

Reminds me of the sewerage problem that plagued Thomson Dream for months after Thomson had bought the ship from Costa. That was massive grief, true "cruises from hell" .

BBC Watchdog sent in an undercover team to film the mayhem - but they were waaaaay too late to respond and by the time their team had joined the ship the problem had been resolved. They should have scrapped the piece - it was comical to watch their pathetic way-too-late efforts to find fault. :classic_rolleyes:

 

I was sorely tempted to tell the guy about the couple who were left behind on Devil's Island. And the guy who was so drunk on the last night that when he woke up the ship was on its next cruise. And the Russian dissident who stowed away on a ship in St Petersburg.

And anything else that I could dream-up :classic_biggrin: 

 

Because bad news makes better TV  than good news, expect an interesting programme - but if I'm right it'll be just an over-dramatised re-vamp of old news, so take it all with a pinch of salt. 

 

Check the end credits.

I betcha it'll include True North Productions.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jocap said:

I've no idea what it's going to show, but of course booked it as soon as I saw the programme in the weekend papers...

I wonder whether it's going to be clips such as the infamous Fred O ship battling the winter storms to get home... that seems to appear on social media all the time. 

Possibly the Viking trouble... and of course Concordia.

 

I thought it might be about the recent incident of the MSC Opera that crashed into a dock in Venice last month and also hit a riverboat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you may all be right, some rehashed old news events, some (bad)  cruising stories from passengers and anything else that may put cruising in a bad light. 

While I don't particularly like these shows highlighting faults and such, I don't mind them making cruising more unpopular with the masses as it keeps the prices down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to this programme? I checked and double checked I'd set it- and then on the day couldn't find it in the listings.

Did anyone catch it? Has it been shown? 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jocap said:

What happened to this programme? I checked and double checked I'd set it- and then on the day couldn't find it in the listings.

Did anyone catch it? Has it been shown? 🤷‍♂️

 

 

This coming wednesday 10th June according to Babs.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrifying weather and emergency evacuations caught on camera.

Everything from bad weather to illness, and shipboard crime to full-on collisions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, John Bull said:

 

 

This coming wednesday 10th June according to Babs.

 

JB :classic_smile:

I could put it down to old age, but I think I'm just thick...🤥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Ray66 said:

Terrifying weather and emergency evacuations caught on camera.

Everything from bad weather to illness, and shipboard crime to full-on collisions

Classic scare mongering program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, John Bull said:

 

 

This coming wednesday 10th June according to Babs.

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

 

July, surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

 

 

July, surely.

 

I could put it down to old age, but I think I'm just thick...

 

JB :classic_rolleyes:

(with apologies to Jo :classic_biggrin:)

Edited by John Bull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 12:32 AM, Ray66 said:

Terrifying weather and emergency evacuations caught on camera.

Everything from bad weather to illness, and shipboard crime to full-on collisions

Yes, the Viking cruises trip to Norway in March where they were caught in a storm and all engines stopped. Everyone wearing their life jackets and some helicoptered off as it was too bad to use the lifeboats.

 

The MSC ship in Venice which hit the pier and a river cruise boat.

 

Noro virus on one ship, drug smuggling on another. Drunk passengers on a ship in Australia. Crew throwing plastic bags of rubbish overboard, and a Carnival ship discharging pollution for years for which they got fined.

 

Most of these things have appeared on the news recently and you can also find them on youtube.  So nothing new really.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Yes, the Viking cruises trip to Norway in March where they were caught in a storm and all engines stopped. Everyone wearing their life jackets and some helicoptered off as it was too bad to use the lifeboats.

 

The MSC ship in Venice which hit the pier and a river cruise boat.

 

Noro virus on one ship, drug smuggling on another. Drunk passengers on a ship in Australia. Crew throwing plastic bags of rubbish overboard, and a Carnival ship discharging pollution for years for which they got fined.

 

Most of these things have appeared on the news recently and you can also find them on youtube.  So nothing new really.

Must have been international visitors on that Australian cruise.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mildly entertaining prog. The fist fights were a bit 'OMG' (never seen any in 12 years of cruising) and as for the (former) ship's doctor saying "if you even look at someone who has norovirus you will get it......."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Mildly entertaining prog. The fist fights were a bit 'OMG' (never seen any in 12 years of cruising) and as for the (former) ship's doctor saying "if you even look at someone who has norovirus you will get it......."

I suppose that would be a case of 'If looks could ill'☠️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I though it quite a lazy production.:classic_rolleyes:

Very little that I'd not seen before here and there, much of it imported from the US,, and cobbled-together.

And it's hardly "when cruises go wrong" to include things like cruise ships causing pollution.

 

But in fairness it was clear that these mishaps were exceptions rather than the norm - cruisers featured were clearly very very happy cruise bunnies until the  noro / breakdown / whatever occurred.

(And am I right - had the couple struck down with noro been on the ship for only a day?  Since noro has an average incubation period of 33 hours, was it they who brought it aboard?)

 

No doubt we'll see various bits again, just once or twice or a hundred times, on different "cruises from hell" type programmes.

But as I head toward senility, in the not too dim-and-distant future I will doubtless be thrilled to see it all "for the first time":classic_biggrin:

 

BTW, I was right - tiny little line at the end of the credits  "True North Productions"

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Channel 5 are at it now! A one and a half hour programme on Wednesday 14th August at 9pm - When cruises Go Horribly Wrong & Other Travel Nightmares.

A cruise ship is caught in a dangerous storm off the coast of Norway.

 

So that's the Viking Sky cruise incident in March yet again (yawn).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Channel 5 seems to be the cruising channel nowadays. Thanks for this- I'll watch, though the blurb says it includes the worst aviation disaster in British aviation history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Ray66 said:

 

Noro virus on one ship, drug smuggling on another. Drunk passengers on a ship in Australia. Crew throwing plastic bags of rubbish overboard, and a Carnival ship discharging pollution for years for which they got fined.

 

That was Princess that was dumping sewage - and despite the fines I was on Princess last year around Japan  - I had an aft balcony - and they were still dumping sewage !!! If I ever see it again I will make more effort to find out who to report it to.  I imagine they do it in International waters.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ray66 said:

Channel 5 are at it now! A one and a half hour programme on Wednesday 14th August at 9pm - When cruises Go Horribly Wrong & Other Travel Nightmares.

A cruise ship is caught in a dangerous storm off the coast of Norway.

 

So that's the Viking Sky cruise incident in March yet again (yawn).

 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ray66 said:

Yes and the Viking Sky incident was all that was shown of "cruises going horribly wrong". The rest of the programme was about flights going horribly wrong. :-)

Next Friday there's a programme on Channel 5 "the world's most luxurious cruise ship" - Regent Seven Seas Explorer.

Very sad to read the news today of the Australian entrepreneur who fell to his deathfrom the Symphony of the Seas.

 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ray66 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...