Cruise Critic Community
marti2282

Unexpected upgrade!

We’re sailing in a couple of weeks on the Solstice. I was poking around my reservation on the Celebrity website a few of weeks ago, and saw a panel that said “let’s get you upgraded.” I had read about bidding for an upgrade, but we’ve never bid. We reserved an aft Sky Suite, so were very happy with our cabin. I ended up making the minimum bids on a Penthouse suite ($690 /person) and on a Celebrity suite ($455 /person). Never, NEVER did I think we had a shot... Well — got an email this afternoon — we were upgraded to the Celebrity suite.

First, I’m really surprised that a minimum bid was accepted and secondly, we didn’t get the offer to bid via email. AND I was under the impression that these were awarded just a couple of days prior to sailing.

Was as going to keep it a secret and surprise my husband. That lasted about 45 seconds!

So happy for you!  That is wonderful news - You will love your Celebrity Suite!!

Where I your booking did you find the let’s get you upgraded panel?

34 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

Where I your booking did you find the let’s get you upgraded panel?

Under “Manage your vacation” scroll down to under Dining Packages and click on this panel.  Reads a little differently now, but the link goes to the upgrade option.

689EED32-ED77-4FDF-94A8-E44256E74ED0.png

Enjoy your upgrade!  I think you did the right thing in telling your husband because he now can look forward to this as well.

Congratulations on your upgrade!  I am curious - how does the price you paid for the upgrade compare to what it would have been had you booked it originally?  I am asking because on several of our recent cruises, the upgrade bids were about the same price as the cabins when we first booked, and in fact sometimes higher!  I'm also curious as to whether you are a regular Celebrity cruiser?  It is unusual to get an upgrade accepted so quickly, so far ahead, and at the minimum bid. 

Congratulations and Enjoy!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, marti2282 said:

Under “Manage your vacation” scroll down to under Dining Packages and click on this panel.  Reads a little differently now, but the link goes to the upgrade option.

689EED32-ED77-4FDF-94A8-E44256E74ED0.png

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out. 

Edited by Highpeaklad

15 hours ago, marti2282 said:

We’re sailing in a couple of weeks on the Solstice. I was poking around my reservation on the Celebrity website a few of weeks ago, and saw a panel that said “let’s get you upgraded.” I had read about bidding for an upgrade, but we’ve never bid. We reserved an aft Sky Suite, so were very happy with our cabin. I ended up making the minimum bids on a Penthouse suite ($690 /person) and on a Celebrity suite ($455 /person). Never, NEVER did I think we had a shot... Well — got an email this afternoon — we were upgraded to the Celebrity suite.

First, I’m really surprised that a minimum bid was accepted and secondly, we didn’t get the offer to bid via email. AND I was under the impression that these were awarded just a couple of days prior to sailing.

Was as going to keep it a secret and surprise my husband. That lasted about 45 seconds!

You will love it!  Congratulations

13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Congratulations on your upgrade!  I am curious - how does the price you paid for the upgrade compare to what it would have been had you booked it originally?  I am asking because on several of our recent cruises, the upgrade bids were about the same price as the cabins when we first booked, and in fact sometimes higher!  I'm also curious as to whether you are a regular Celebrity cruiser?  It is unusual to get an upgrade accepted so quickly, so far ahead, and at the minimum bid. 

If we had booked the Celebrity suite, it would have been about $1200 more per person vs $455, so very pleased with what we paid.  That's one reason I was sure we wouldn't get the upgrade. AND our sailing has had suite "sold out" for some time.

We are Elite with Celebrity and usually sail with them once a year.

2 hours ago, marti2282 said:

If we had booked the Celebrity suite, it would have been about $1200 more per person vs $455, so very pleased with what we paid.  That's one reason I was sure we wouldn't get the upgrade. AND our sailing has had suite "sold out" for some time.

Wow, you really did get a visit from the upgrade fairy!  I was curious about your experience with Celebrity as in the 'old days' (pre-move up program) it seemed like cruisers new to Celebrity were the ones always getting the unexpected upgrades.  Glad to know there is still hope for us loyal cruisers with the new program.  Maybe one day we will get visited by the fairy as well.  Can only hope.  Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, marti2282 said:

Nice job and congrats.  You will love the Celebrity Suite on Solstice.  We did a 16 night Aus and NZ cruise in a Solstice CS a couple of years ago.  Loved it!

On 7/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Suite Susie said:

Anybody have any idea how we would access this in the UK?

Seems to be exclusive to US guests. I`ve tried to access an upcoming European cruise via the US site using a VPN but it eventually loops back to UK when I input my UK reservation number. 

11 hours ago, govanguy said:

Seems to be exclusive to US guests. I`ve tried to access an upcoming European cruise via the US site using a VPN but it eventually loops back to UK when I input my UK reservation number. 

On the Celebrity Move Up Tracker thread; you can see on the spreadsheet that some people have bid in Sterling Pound currency (vs. USD) and have won their bid.  You can explore the thread more below, if interested in viewing

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, govanguy said:

I'm pleased to say we were sent an email re Move-up on Friday, so we do get them in the UK.  Pretty expensive, but we've put in a minimum bid for a RS.  We are currently in a CS.  

i am in the Uk and got the make a bid email today. I booked friday and signed up for the emails today. Our cruise is in 50 days.

I just bid the minimums on next 2 grades up as we're in an inside. wouldn't let me bid on anything higher than aqua/concierge (£280 min pp for aqua/£200 conceriege). Does it depend on what you originally paid?

18 minutes ago, burnoutbabe said:

i am in the Uk and got the make a bid email today. I booked friday and signed up for the emails today. Our cruise is in 50 days.

I just bid the minimums on next 2 grades up as we're in an inside. wouldn't let me bid on anything higher than aqua/concierge (£280 min pp for aqua/£200 conceriege). Does it depend on what you originally paid?

They claim that it is random.  Personally I doubt that, but who knows.  As far as I know, no one really knows the criteria for who gets the email offers (some who are signed up for emails never get them for some reason), or how the actual 'winner' is chosen - presume it is the highest offer but not sure.  If anyone ever finds out the real formula for this it would be interesting.  So far I am of the belief that anyone who says they know probably doesn't really (but I don't know that for sure either!)

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

They claim that it is random.  Personally I doubt that, but who knows.  As far as I know, no one really knows the criteria for who gets the email offers (some who are signed up for emails never get them for some reason), or how the actual 'winner' is chosen - presume it is the highest offer but not sure.  If anyone ever finds out the real formula for this it would be interesting.  So far I am of the belief that anyone who says they know probably doesn't really (but I don't know that for sure either!)

IMO no formula, as you can go on the move up site without any invitation, we did twice.  Bottom line the highest bid wins.  Of course moving from a sky suite to celebrity suite bid is much less then moving from a balcony to a celebrity suite.