Cruise Critic Community
ajtaylor29

New to Crystal - dining questions!

We're taking our first Crystal cruise in September (Symphony to Alaska), so excited to be seeing Alaska again and experiencing luxury cruising on board Crystal! I'm starting to read and learn more about the ship and can't wait to try all of the dining options. However, i'm having trouble deciding how to handle making reservations ahead of time. Can i wait until we board and then decide on which nights to try the specialty dining or will everything book up before the cruise? I still have a couple of months to decide....I want to try them all, but it also sounds like all of the included dining options are great too! Any advice for me? Also, is there someplace i can see menus (for specialty restaurants)? Thanks in advance for your help!

I would make a reservation at each of the restaurants sooner rather than later as many have probably booked already.  Book at Silk, Umi Uma and Prego.  No reservations are needed for the Brazilian Restaurant.

If you wait till you board you might not get your desired choices.

Once on board though you could check on changing one or more and if the date/time is not available at least you have something.

Just spread them out.

I'll post menus in a moment.

Keith

Umi UmaUmiUma..thumb.jpg.ba61f4e2643777604695794a064b3ff6.jpg

Prego.

Prego.thumb.jpg.6e9754cf1b867bbf63c2711de6cf04c5.jpg

This is an example of Silk.  It could be somewhat different when you are on board but it will give you an idea.

Silk1.thumb.jpg.8a05c11dd34e29098cbcafc822d0d035.jpgSilk2.thumb.jpg.0739f7839af080126820409474c7594c.jpg

Keith

Book now - don’t wait. Once final payment is made you can book using the PCPC website - others most certainly do so 

These recent threads from those cruising on Symphony have menus posted

Hi!

If you like caviar and lobster I would suggest that you look at your itinerary and don’t book anything on the first night at sea, I believe this is usually when these items are on the menu for Waterside. Beyond that I like to mix it up a bit so I recommend leaving a day or two in between specialty restaurant reservations.

The food on Symphony this past week was excellent everywhere. Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Hi!

If you like caviar and lobster I would suggest that you look at your itinerary and don’t book anything on the first night at sea, I believe this is usually when these items are on the menu for Waterside. Beyond that I like to mix it up a bit so I recommend leaving a day or two in between specialty restaurant reservations.

Great tips, thank you! 

I traditionally book Nobu (UmiUma) on embarkation night. Let them get all the kinks worked out in the dining room. Definitely don't book alternative dining on formal (BTO) nights if you have any. If you discover you messed up and the Maine lobster with truffled risotto is being served on a night you have reservations, see the maitre de and ask for it to be served another night.  Guaranteed you won't go hungry. Be sure to try the carpaccio and mushroom soup in Prego and White fish with jalapeno and lobster tempura in Nobu. 

Stickman's recent blog has a treasure trove of menus, enjoy. I'll be on the July 30th sailing, I'll try to restrain myself and leave some goodies for you.

On our recent Tokyo to SF cruise the only lobster dinner was last night at sea but since we are from Maine that wasn't a big deal.

After we boarded we called to make additional dinner reservations and might have to not do our #1 time but got days we wanted.   All depends upon how full the cruise ship is.  With the addition of dining locations in tha last couple of years I think it is somewhat easier to get reservations.

ajtaylor....If you tell us what voyage you are on (date would be helpful) we could give you a couple of recommendations on dates for specialty restaurants.

If you cruise does have a black tie optional night it will be reflected on the calendar which you will see when you sign into PCPC for your booking.

Keith

17 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Hi!

Funny, I did book  Umi Uma,s the first night. Find the MDR to crazy.  I eat about every 5 to 7 days in Umi Uma's. Thecaviar is just ok- nothing like the kind i pay  for.

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

Funny, I did book  Umi Uma,s the first night. Find the MDR to crazy.  I eat about every 5 to 7 days in Umi Uma's. Thecaviar is just ok- nothing like the kind i pay  for.

Hi Robin,

Is that caviar that you pay for on a Crystal cruise? If so... which one do you enjoy?

8 minutes ago, C-sea said:

Hi Robin,

Is that caviar that you pay for on a Crystal cruise? If so... which one do you enjoy?

To be honest I think the included is to blah for me. Like more zip-larger eggs-more black/gray. Crystal has a caviar menu  in my cabin. i almost  got some twice.   i would ask my butler or if in the MDR the head waiter. But the more expensive tends to be better.

On Azamara they have some at $125 a pop. Not only is it very good i use up my OBC with it. i only use blinis wiyh it or jsut eat with a spoon. the added things ruin it.

Someone here i am sure has the menu. i do  not.

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

ajtaylor....If you tell us what voyage you are on (date would be helpful) we could give you a couple of recommendations on dates for specialty restaurants.

If you cruise does have a black tie optional night it will be reflected on the calendar which you will see when you sign into PCPC for your booking.

Keith

Keith, we're sailing Sept. 10th from Vancouver, 7 nights. I'm pretty sure i read that we have cruise casual every night....which is great for us!

What is PCPC??? The only interaction i've had so far on the Crystal website was to fill out all the boarding information, but i didn't find a lot of other information on that site. Maybe i'm missing something?!?!

Thank you for any and all recommendations!

PCPC

priority CHECKIN planning center

where you filled out your precruise info.   You also reserve dining there

under tab YOUR TRIP click on specialty dining.

One our last cruise we decided to dine in Prego on embarkation night - first time we've done this as we normally go to Waterside. I think this will be a new tradition for us. Waterside on embarkation day can be a little crazy in the evening. We found Prego easy to get a reservation for the first night and we had a lovely relaxed dinner which we lingered over far more than we would have in the dining room. A great way to start a cruise.

3 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

Keith, we're sailing Sept. 10th from Vancouver, 7 nights. I'm pretty sure i read that we have cruise casual every night....which is great for us!

What is PCPC??? The only interaction i've had so far on the Crystal website was to fill out all the boarding information, but i didn't find a lot of other information on that site. Maybe i'm missing something?!?!

We are on the same cruise with you and we are first time Crystal Cruisers...I think only cruises over 7 nights have Cruise Elegant nights. We're planning on Cruise Casual for every night...Hope that's right, lol! Really looking forward to this cruise and meeting everyone!

3 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

There are a couple of ways to get to PCPC which is the Priority Check-In & Planning Center.

This is a quick way:

https://checkin.crystalcruises.com/?_ga=2.167640120.785283564.1562149372-102986272.1558802802&_gac=1.204662436.1561884973.EAIaIQobChMIrIeZ8eqQ4wIVBLXACh2omAhaEAAYASAAEgLOhPD_BwE

Once there enter you first and last names as they appear on the booking and your booking number.

It is here where you will see the calendar (in your case each night is Crystal Casual) and where you can book the specialty restaurants after you have paid in full.

Some suggestions.  Although not a Black Tie Optional night expect that you will have a really good menu (including fresh lobster) on the second night  September 11 which is a sea day.  I would plan for Waterside for that evening.

WIth seven nights I would book either Prego or Umi Uma for the first night.  Just pick the one where you can get the time you desire.

On third night since you have a late night in port maybe this is the night to go with Silk.

On night four try Prego if you didn't go there night one or Umi Umi if you didn't go there night one.

On night five which is a day to sail Glacier Bay I would go back to Waterside. 

For day six I would look at the Waterside menu the night before to see what it looks like.  If it looks great go back to Waterside.  If you are not thrilled with it go to one Prego or Umi Uma.  As such after you board I would try to get an additional reservation at Prego or Umi Uma.  You could keep it if the night six menu doesn't appeal to you or you could cancel the reservation if it does appeal to you. 

Night seven.  If you want to give the Churrascaria (Brazilian Restaurant) a try this is the night I would do it.  Often it is the least crowded on the last night of the cruise. 

I do think it's nice to try each specialty restaurant but also nice to visit Waterside a few times.

Keith

8 minutes ago, chrismelpig said:

We are on the same cruise with you and we are first time Crystal Cruisers...I think only cruises over 7 nights have Cruise Elegant nights. We're planning on Cruise Casual for every night...Hope that's right, lol! Really looking forward to this cruise and meeting everyone!

This is correct. On seven or less days all Crystal Casual nights.

Keith

Also if a late port night I  would eat in port and have great fresh local seafood. Never had a bad meal in AK. Only great ones.

On our cruise they changed the BTO night which was supposed to be on the sea day.  It was rough seas, so they moved it to the next night.

6 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

On our cruise they changed the BTO night which was supposed to be on the sea day.  It was rough seas, so they moved it to the next night.

How unusual - why would BTO night be impacted by rough seas? I've heard of performances being postponed but not BTO night.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

How unusual - why would BTO night be impacted by rough seas? I've heard of performances being postponed but not BTO night.

Just a guess but if it was really rough maybe it was the impact (difficult for people to stand at the cocktails) on the associated Reception that is held on BTO night? Still seems very unusual though

It would be interesting to know at what point they decided to make the change - I feel for the kitchen as I’m sure a lot of preparation goes on for BTO menus - I guess a 24 hour deferral wouldn’t be an issue for them 

Edited by Stickman1990

And there is the assumption that women wear higher heeled shoes on BTO night...