What time to be on deck to see the arrival to Kotor?

I've read that sailing into the port in Kotor is supposed to be beautiful and we want to be up and about to see it.  We're supposed to arrive at 7:00 to wherever we are dropping anchor to tender. What time should we on deck? (Emerald Princess July 27 sailing from Rome.) Thanks!

Yes, plan to see the sail in or out of Kotor.  

Remember, arrival at 7am ...  will only be beautiful if there is light.

We sailed into Kotor in October, and it was pretty dark on the sail in around 7am.  Could not see much.  But, on the way out, it was beautiful.  We left at 4pm.

It was very scenic for about 45 minutes after leaving Kotor...industrial from there to the sea.  Keep that timing in mind.

Edited by PelicanLvr
  • Like 1

If you look at the map the sail in includes a narrow and past several towns, the whole process for us ( Star 6/24 ) was a good hour to hour and half, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I didn't find it that beautiful, but worth a few minutes at the narrows and a one of the older small towns, YMMV

• Like 1

We sailed in August last year. The sail in we were up early to see the view. Even in August the light didn't do it justice. The sun wasn't high enough. Our sail out however was fantastic. Clear sky some great photos to remind us. The top of the ship seemed more crowded than our sail into or out of Venice a few days earlier.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses.....   I'll probably be there for both sail in (sunrise @ 5:35 AM ) and sail away.....photo ops everywhere.  Personally, morning is my preference but we'll be traveling with our young adults kids so evening may be better for family shots!

Edited by LMADAMS91
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, ducklite said:

I would recommend 90 minutes.  It's a wonderful view.  Keep an eye peeled starboard and you'll see the old Soviet sub bases carved into the side of the mountain.

Hubby and brother would love this-how far in? 

On 7/14/2019 at 12:29 AM, LMADAMS91 said:

Hubby and brother would love this-how far in? 

First one:
42°25'49.4"N 18°34'52.7"E

Then you'll see the abandoned warships

Second One:
42°25'40.0"N 18°35'24.4"E

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, balanceok said:

Do we need to be up on deck or with the view from our balcony be enough??

I guess that's a matter of personal preference.  The views from the balcony were pretty enough but we always prefer to be out on the open deck where it seems you can truly take in the grandeur of the port.  Kotor is a gorgeous sail in and out.  Maybe if you're arriving early, I'd stick to the balcony for sail in (take in the beauty in the comfort of your pjs and a morning coffee) and then head up to the deck for the sailaway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, skiorcruise said:

The old sub bases - I assume the Starboard reference is for the sail in, Port when departing?

Yes, but keep in mind that depending on the time of year and time of day that you'll be departing, you might not see them on the way out.  They really blend into the cliffs.

• 3 weeks later...

July is great to visit Kotor! I would suggest be on the deck at 6, with a nice cup of coffee and delicious breakfast. The magnificent scenic cruising through the Bay of Kotor takes about an hour. Enjoy and make sure you take a lot of photos 🙂

Toward the end of July it may not be as light early in the morning as it would if it were early July, but like others I would say allow 90 minutes. I'll be there in early June and the days are longer then so hoping for some pretty views on sail in. I missed most of the sail in the last time I was there but will definitely get up early enough next time!

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lovely chapel on an island, just inside the entrance to the fjord.  Fishing boats bobbing alongside it.

The cliffs at the entrance have ancient forts on both sides. No idea if they are Byzantine, Venetian, Ottoman, or any of the other occupiers