Cruise Critic Community
Morgsmom

Bringing Wine onboard (check in) in Europe

(no flames please)... So hubby is thinking of bringing a case of his favorite wine with us for our upcoming cruise departing Amsterdam.   If we check it and send to the room what is the possible outcome?  They send him to the "bad boy" room to claim it? Ask that he pay corkage on it all?  Roll their eyes?  

What experience do people have with bringing on (or attempting to bring on) more than 2 bottles (for a 12 night cruise).   Just trying to determine a realistic scenario so that we can prepare.  Thanks in advance.  

My experience is that they confiscate all but two bottles and you will get the rest on the last night if the cruise.

I’ve seen posts about trying to bring a bottle or so abroad beyond the allowed 2 bottles/SR, but not a case. What will happen is, they will take it to the ‘badboy’ Room and call you down to identify the wine and they will hold it in storage until the end of the cruise and will then let you have it back. 

Good luck on what you do when you end the cruise with a case of wine. 

Den

Celebrities policy is you can bring 2 bottles per stateroom on board on embarkation day only and if you wish to drink it in one of the restaurants you will have to pay a corkage fee per bottle

but if you drink it in your stateroom there is no corkage fee

Suggest the following if you want to bring on more than your two bottles.  Put a bottle or two in each checked case. Carry additional bottles in your carry on. X normally use shore based security so the two never meet up. I normally put my wine in my checked luggage as its too heavy to carry around the ship. Never had to go to the naughty room yet. With around 86% of passengers having a drinks package of some description these days the days of rum smugglers is now pretty much non existant. One can now even get drinks packages of repositioning cruises

The If you really want to “break the rules”, celebrity often does not scan carry on bags at embarkation...but you never know.  This past week in Venice...no scan by celebrity...only by the port looking for dangerous things.  If you check a case of wine, there’s probably no chance it will get to your room.  The better option, as suggested, is to put two bottles in each carry on bag.....and don’t get on the ship with your cabin mate let a few people go between.  For carry on anything celebrity treats each bag separately....they don’t really track carry on wine by cabin if you aren’t obvious about it.  

At some embarkation ports ports you can board the ship with wine in your carry on.....then go back to the terminal, purchase some (more) wine, return to the ship with it, etc.

It really is a bit of an honor system.....if you are in your 20’s, they are probably more focused.  If you are in your 70’s, less so.  More checking in the Caribbean and on shorter cruises than Europe, South America, Asia longer cruises. 

at each port, you may find that they scan what you bring on board, but they don’t actually seem to care if you bring wine/liquor back to the ship.  I brought a bottle of grappa back yesterday, it went through the scanner and they didn’t say anything...I just picked up the bag and went to my cabin.  Your mileage may vary...but I have never had celebrity hold liquor I brought on board.  On that note though, if you are on b2b cruises and you buy wine/liquor on the first cruise and they do hold it, it will be returned to your cabin the last night of the first cruise for packing.  You will just have to keep it in your cabin for the second cruise😁

Edited by ghstudio

I followed the advise of carrying it on per person, boarding a little separately. Never an issue, US or non-US port. Years ago I also boxed it up with medical supplies and sailed right through.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, ghstudio said:

The If you really want to “break the rules”, celebrity often does not scan carry on bags at embarkation...but you never know.  This past week in Venice...no scan by celebrity...only by the port looking for dangerous things.  If you check a case of wine, there’s probably no chance it will get to your room.  The better option, as suggested, is to put two bottles in each carry on bag.....and don’t get on the ship with your cabin mate let a few people go between.  For carry on anything celebrity treats each bag separately....they don’t really track carry on wine by cabin if you aren’t obvious about it.  

At some embarkation ports ports you can board the ship with wine in your carry on.....then go back to the terminal, purchase some (more) wine, return to the ship with it, etc.

It really is a bit of an honor system.....if you are in your 20’s, they are probably more focused.  If you are in your 70’s, less so.  More checking in the Caribbean and on shorter cruises than Europe, South America, Asia longer cruises. 

at each port, you may find that they scan what you bring on board, but they don’t actually seem to care if you bring wine/liquor back to the ship.  I brought a bottle of grappa back yesterday, it went through the scanner and they didn’t say anything...I just picked up the bag and went to my cabin.  Your mileage may vary...but I have never had celebrity hold liquor I brought on board.  On that note though, if you are on b2b cruises and you buy wine/liquor on the first cruise and they do hold it, it will be returned to your cabin the last night of the first cruise for packing.  You will just have to keep it in your cabin for the second cruise😁

I was stopped when returning from port in Chile and had my cheap bottle of wine taken. Also it was mentioned on board by a couple who were B2B that their liquor purchases from the prior cruise was not returned to them . They were told that it will be at the end of their last leg. Not sure if this was a change fleet wide or just that cruise

On a British Isles cruise in 2017 my sister and I both brought two bottles of wine in our carry on and they came through without any problem. Of course we were in different cabins, but we boarded together and the person manning the scanner would probably have thought we were together.

We have bought liquor on shore excursions and brought them onboard without any problem, though this was to be given as gifts and not to drink on the cruise.

Edited by prish