Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lensonlife

We’re onboard the Horizon, and having a stellar time!

Recommended Posts

First, we we’re grateful to have finally boarded after the issues with airline. Second, after reading too many negative reviews about the Horizon, I began to worry that we booked the wrong cruise. We booked before the Horizon ever sailed and were excited to sail on the new ship (we did the same with the Sunshine). That said, we are having a BLAST! I’ve had zero problem finding chairs, or a spot in the pool. Mostly hanging out at the Tides. I got up at 5:30 am the first morning so I could catch the sunrise and it was worth EVERY SECOND OF LOST SLEEP! The ship is so beautiful and peaceful early in the morning, and obviously- you get your pick of chairs. MDR has been prompt and yummy. I am less of a fan of the Lido Marketplace- that said, I am not a fan of buffets, and even less of a fan of that killer floor. Holy hell. It’s like a venus fly trap. My husband and kids like the buffet, so we are constantly pulling each other in different directions or divide and conquer. They report to be disappointed in both the long lines and quality of Guys burgers. I love the pizza (yesterday I waited 3 minutes for fresh out of oven- day before was much longer). Blue Iguana breakfast burritos also a fast favorite! The salad bowl was disappointing- the shell had become stale from the heat. Filling fresh! We did not buy Cheers, and I do not regret that! Mind you- while we do not drink during the week due to demands of kids and work responsibilities, we do enjoy drinks on the weekends. But the heat just slams us New Englanders lol! A day in the hot sun and we are not eager to “turn up” as they say 😂. We instead added several hundred in cash for credit- and have barely made a dent. We’ve watched two different comedy shows- same guy, different shows- and pee your pants funny! We also went to the Love and Marriage show. OMG! So funny!!! Jacks Shack in Grand Turk was perfect. My family got off in LaRomana for about 1.5 hours and got back on- I did not. We do not have an excursion planned today in Curacao. Any ideas of what we can do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some photos I took at sunset and sunrise 

3908776D-7883-4EA0-A2AE-2909E630CDEE.jpeg

70FFCB0D-29DA-431A-BCFD-15231FDA0589.jpeg

E45214E7-07ED-4BFF-AD38-711D048987A6.jpeg

11083877-7642-456A-A9C9-4962EB7C0D8D.jpeg

B15DA1DC-5C67-4273-81F2-BEE5EE1CF580.jpeg

DBDFE6AD-F152-4C8A-BD2F-85527C9FCBF8.jpeg

0DAC0C9A-7C38-402F-8B4C-73902ED1AE81.jpeg

F00D79F9-0635-4930-9114-C7E7E1B60B8E.jpeg

C947B2B5-63E7-41B5-9DF8-711782A4E7A1.jpeg

979D1FEB-43A2-4EC2-A595-FFED90F4EBB9.jpeg

4946F6EB-CC11-469F-9D79-56DD82C751D1.jpeg

Edited by lensonlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand Turk at Jacks Shack- so many dogs, a couple belong to the Shack and several others looked to be homeless. One curled up and took a nap under my daughters chair. It appeared to also be covered in ticks (definitely not fleas) 😣

 

Photo of of me and a performer on ship after I danced my face off 💃

 

And photos yesterday taken from back of ship at La Romana. 

 

 

D77EEC25-627C-4CE7-8DB5-D1C6774956B7.jpeg

A9E1A5AB-E8CB-4150-8CED-7359A9BD079F.jpeg

C74274B2-D6A6-46B5-A9B5-E0C9947845F2.jpeg

21C055BC-1B03-4B3B-8A94-097CFF1F55C9.jpeg

D41E2F8B-F325-41BA-95AF-12B429982845.jpeg

5E8B198C-A708-40FF-9CEC-A670B5DD7B83.jpeg

5F413D96-BD55-4635-8D0A-40068EB94642.jpeg

64F9A4DF-3297-444A-93D9-0D7534B69753.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your pictures are awesome!  Glad you made the ship after all the stress, hope you have a great vacation.

 

Curacao is an easy port to walk around- go look for the Curacao sign, see the floating bridge, get some Dutch chocolate.  If you want to go to a beach for a couple hours, you could easily get a taxi, then return to the port and walk around the downtown area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading this has made me smile. Glad things have improved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love seeing the Havana retreat empty!  Can’t wait for our Panorama cruise.  Havana we will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you're enjoying the Horizon, we sailed it shortly after it came to NYC from Europe on its repo cruise.  Horizon is a great ship!

 

The OP is enjoying a quiet, serene sunrise, something I have never witnessed in over 50 cruises, I can't stay up that late any more, LOL.

 

How's the ice cream churning station?  We enjoyed some the 2nd day, after that more cruisers became aware of it andthe lines got too crowded. They were out of the flavor we wanted by then as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lensonlife said:

Some photos I took at sunset and sunrise 

3908776D-7883-4EA0-A2AE-2909E630CDEE.jpeg

70FFCB0D-29DA-431A-BCFD-15231FDA0589.jpeg

E45214E7-07ED-4BFF-AD38-711D048987A6.jpeg

11083877-7642-456A-A9C9-4962EB7C0D8D.jpeg

B15DA1DC-5C67-4273-81F2-BEE5EE1CF580.jpeg

DBDFE6AD-F152-4C8A-BD2F-85527C9FCBF8.jpeg

0DAC0C9A-7C38-402F-8B4C-73902ED1AE81.jpeg

F00D79F9-0635-4930-9114-C7E7E1B60B8E.jpeg

C947B2B5-63E7-41B5-9DF8-711782A4E7A1.jpeg

979D1FEB-43A2-4EC2-A595-FFED90F4EBB9.jpeg

4946F6EB-CC11-469F-9D79-56DD82C751D1.jpeg

Great pics!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the short review I can't wait ill be on the horizon in February on a back to back cruise 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review...…..are you located on the port side (even numbers) or the ocean side (odd numbers)?  And does the ship dock on the port side each time you reach a port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Watergal60 said:

Thanks for the review...…..are you located on the port side (even numbers) or the ocean side (odd numbers)?  And does the ship dock on the port side each time you reach a port?

I’ll write a lengthier review now that we’ve returned home, but we had inside staterooms (odd- not that this matters). 

 

These images uploaded wonky.

 

Image 1: Grand Turk

Image 2: Curaçao 

Image 3: Curaçao 

Image 4: Grand Turk

 

Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of ship in port at Aruba or La Romana (I didn’t get off in LR though my husband and children did for a bit). 

106A51A1-9CF8-407A-8510-0AB33FD36010.jpeg

C1D0F61B-9F59-4572-AC66-EB991F4AEB4A.jpeg

A50A8741-0E3E-4DDE-BE84-8DEA8054A589.jpeg

4DEA0B2A-7213-4171-888B-CCA113B0A6B7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, evandbob said:

Glad you're enjoying the Horizon, we sailed it shortly after it came to NYC from Europe on its repo cruise.  Horizon is a great ship!

 

The OP is enjoying a quiet, serene sunrise, something I have never witnessed in over 50 cruises, I can't stay up that late any more, LOL.

 

How's the ice cream churning station?  We enjoyed some the 2nd day, after that more cruisers became aware of it andthe lines got too crowded. They were out of the flavor we wanted by then as well.

Do you mean the soft serve station? It was well accessed by my 18 year old 😂- nothing has changed since he was a freshman in high school (now graduated). Those stations are well-frequented (but available). I really wanted to try the gelato, but every time I went (evening), it was closed. I never had any. My daughter told me the toppings (jimmies/sprinkles) are only available at the gelato station so you can only get them for the soft serve when gelato station is open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, James4me said:

I love seeing the Havana retreat empty!  Can’t wait for our Panorama cruise.  Havana we will be.

Havana was often empty- day and night! I spent a lot of time at Tides, so overlooked Havana. Of course, one cruise and one family could change everything. But I would have been very happy to have been in the Havana area! I liked getting to know people, but I went in search of solitude and you’ll find that in Havana. If you’re looking for a party- go to Lido deck 😂🙌💃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, purplephenom said:

Your pictures are awesome!  Glad you made the ship after all the stress, hope you have a great vacation.

 

Curacao is an easy port to walk around- go look for the Curacao sign, see the floating bridge, get some Dutch chocolate.  If you want to go to a beach for a couple hours, you could easily get a taxi, then return to the port and walk around the downtown area.  

We did a walking tour! I loooooove Curaçao!!!! Pic of me and my 2 daughters in downtown Curaçao 💛

F37CAD70-B252-4240-B84B-82EF90AB18A9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lensonlife said:

We did a walking tour! I loooooove Curaçao!!!! Pic of me and my 2 daughters in downtown Curaçao 💛

F37CAD70-B252-4240-B84B-82EF90AB18A9.jpeg

 

Cute picture! was the walking tour on your own?  Where did you get the route?  

 

I normally love snorkeling everywhere, but Curacao is the one island I really love walking around downtown- trying to plan a non-snorkel day is weird to me, so I'm gathering all the information I can find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purplephenom said:

 

Cute picture! was the walking tour on your own?  Where did you get the route?  

 

I normally love snorkeling everywhere, but Curacao is the one island I really love walking around downtown- trying to plan a non-snorkel day is weird to me, so I'm gathering all the information I can find

We purchased the tour via a Carnival excursion. I think it was $30/pp and lasted approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. The tour helped to inform us of the history of Curaçao (there is lots), but also lead me down roads and paths that I might not have taken on my own. The tour is one way (although they will walk you back if you wish), so on the way back we were able to take our time and revisit some of these places we quickly breezed by before. There is a lot of art in Curaçao! It’s really quite a fun little place and I would definitely like to go back. I also found this mural of wings in an alley- could have just as easily of missed it (my youngest daughter). Here are also some images I took in Curaçao. Honestly, if I could do it again- I would do both the day and the night tour. Go back to the ship and cool down. I bet it’s pretty at night! 

A7E28092-7196-49BD-9348-D3FC06B832B0.jpeg

51AE8363-75E4-4281-9323-89334B3DB63F.jpeg

5CCC72D1-363C-4734-B061-DDB69DEE4467.jpeg

65426825-59F4-4C31-9CF9-431A55A038FC.jpeg

DA98999C-E2AB-42E2-8986-3B73CFCDBF2F.jpeg

5C1BBCE6-FB39-48AD-A79B-1BDCF30C524A.jpeg

47BEF935-F864-4D6E-A763-AC12C41253F1.jpeg

938D6873-53FF-4DAD-8C7F-44832E895F14.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...