Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SailorMan20

Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

Recommended Posts

Just a couple of weeks ago....a Captain was on the PA system...paraphrasing a bit..."Good morning, it will be mostly sunny today with a chance of rain, the port authorities have cleared the ship and all passengers are welcome to disembark".......(then in a whisper, you can clearly hear the Captain ask: Where are we?)........you can tell a few of the passengers knew it was a joke, but most thought the Captain didn't know what port we were in. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regretfully, most of the ‘Maritime Mishaps’ that I know of were not on a cruise ship 😀

Everything from deaths, drunks and disasters ... some funny and some sad .. some NOT for mixed company but all part of the tapestry of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Oasis a few years ago, in Central Park having lunch. We watched as a woman and her 3 kids claimed the table beside us. And she proceeded to pull prepackaged snacks and sandwiches for her purse.     Not anything from the ship, stuff she had clearly brought on with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chocolatemom2 said:

We were on Oasis a few years ago, in Central Park having lunch. We watched as a woman and her 3 kids claimed the table beside us. And she proceeded to pull prepackaged snacks and sandwiches for her purse.     Not anything from the ship, stuff she had clearly brought on with her. 

 

 

Must have been that special box lunch available only to triple secret tanzanite level passengers.   😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chocolatemom2 said:

We were on Oasis a few years ago, in Central Park having lunch. We watched as a woman and her 3 kids claimed the table beside us. And she proceeded to pull prepackaged snacks and sandwiches for her purse.     Not anything from the ship, stuff she had clearly brought on with her. 

Ultra fussy kids, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the best I got, but I’ve only been on 1 cruise so far. I do wonder how his night went while holding that huge ducky up all night. This was night one and I saw him every day of the cruise, living his best life. Ah, the energy of youth. 

 

I should add that this was his evening attire, not pool attire. 

5FF44107-3470-4777-956B-0F4FBDB0B84E.jpeg

Edited by Dancingnurse79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a story that happened to me.  We were on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and we ran into a situation with a fellow passenger out at the pool.  We came out to the pool deck after lunch one day and of course there were few chairs available.  After a while we spotted 2 chairs but widely separated.  DW asked a pool attendant if he would move one of them for us.  There was enough room to fit in another lounger beside the one that I had found.  When he did another passenger lying on a lounger one row back stated to complain that we were in his way.  I asked what do you mean, and he replied that he "reserved" his chairs at 6:30 am and that we shouldn't be allowed to just come up to the pool and move around loungers, etc.  He even said that we were blocking the sun.  We tried to ignore him but he became more demonstrative and verbally abusive.  Eventually, security had to got to him and ask him to leave the pool deck.  We had an enjoyable rest of the afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dadofjessie said:

Here is a story that happened to me.  We were on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and we ran into a situation with a fellow passenger out at the pool.  We came out to the pool deck after lunch one day and of course there were few chairs available.  After a while we spotted 2 chairs but widely separated.  DW asked a pool attendant if he would move one of them for us.  There was enough room to fit in another lounger beside the one that I had found.  When he did another passenger lying on a lounger one row back stated to complain that we were in his way.  I asked what do you mean, and he replied that he "reserved" his chairs at 6:30 am and that we shouldn't be allowed to just come up to the pool and move around loungers, etc.  He even said that we were blocking the sun.  We tried to ignore him but he became more demonstrative and verbally abusive.  Eventually, security had to got to him and ask him to leave the pool deck.  We had an enjoyable rest of the afternoon.

 

Ha, that is crazy!  He "reserved" his chair since 6:30. Lol  

 

You know there is clearly a large population that whole heartedly believes that once they "reserve" their chair it is theirs for the duration no matter if unoccupied or for how long.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more come to mind:

 

Saw a dead whale covered in sea birds floating alongside the ship.

 

Saw a couple in bathrobes getting their portraits taken on formal night.  They said they did that every cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ldubs said:

 

Ha, that is crazy!  He "reserved" his chair since 6:30. Lol  

 

You know there is clearly a large population that whole heartedly believes that once they "reserve" their chair it is theirs for the duration no matter if unoccupied or for how long.     

Yes, and its their given right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dadofjessie said:

Here is a story that happened to me.  We were on a Princess cruise in the Caribbean and we ran into a situation with a fellow passenger out at the pool.  We came out to the pool deck after lunch one day and of course there were few chairs available.  After a while we spotted 2 chairs but widely separated.  DW asked a pool attendant if he would move one of them for us.  There was enough room to fit in another lounger beside the one that I had found.  When he did another passenger lying on a lounger one row back stated to complain that we were in his way.  I asked what do you mean, and he replied that he "reserved" his chairs at 6:30 am and that we shouldn't be allowed to just come up to the pool and move around loungers, etc.  He even said that we were blocking the sun.  We tried to ignore him but he became more demonstrative and verbally abusive.  Eventually, security had to got to him and ask him to leave the pool deck.  We had an enjoyable rest of the afternoon.

So he reserved his chairs and all those around him because the world revolves around him? Why do chair hogs have that attitude? Is it essential that they plop their butt in a chair and fry in the sun for 15 hours while selfishly insisting that no one else can occupy space around them? Maybe it’s because I live in FL that I can’t lay in the sun for more than 4 hours before I’m drained of all energy. I’d rather be up and doing stuff. Good that security took care of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple years back a somewhat hairy, red headed gentleman would appear pool side in a flowing leopard robe, thong and matching clogs.  EVERY SINGLE DAY. He enthusiastically joined in on the dancing  and sweat would fly.   I didn't dance much that cruise.   LOL.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cb2534 said:

A couple years back a somewhat hairy, red headed gentleman would appear pool side in a flowing leopard robe, thong and matching clogs.  EVERY SINGLE DAY. He enthusiastically joined in on the dancing  and sweat would fly.   I didn't dance much that cruise.   LOL.   

 

That is what you call living your best life 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, SRF said:

 

My Mother was from Hawaii.  I remember one trip, watching a young lady in a parka, with fur lined hood up.  And we had just come out of the ocean. 😄

 

We were in Hawaii once when the night temperature was forecast to be slightly below (gasp) 60 degrees.  All the locals were in the malls trying to buy winter coats.

 

On the other end of the spectrum, teen grandkids who live in Montana don't wear coats 'unless it is way below zero, Grandma'.  Even here in Nebraska, when I occasionally pick up teens at the high school, almost no one wears coats in winter--hoodies at the most--and often are in shorts and tees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago, there was a man in the pool area.  He was quite hairy and would lean against the rails and slather lots of oil all over his body.  The bad part was that he had on too small bathing suit that did not have any elastic in the leg area anymore. He let it all hang out.

 The comedian actually mentioned him during his  show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't on the cruise per se, but attended a wedding on board a ship before it left Miami.  We were in the MDR having the reception lunch and there was quite a commotion and the Captain came over the loudspeaker asking everyone to move to the starboard side of the ship and stay away from all windows.  Minutes later we heard a tremendous "BOOM" on the port side.


Turns out there were a couple of unidentified boxes sitting next to the ship on the pier.  They decided to blow them up rather than trying to move them.  It turned out they were replacement shower heads for the ship.

 

Edited by ducklite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read on the CC home page that Carnival now has a ban on rude/offensive T-shirts.  I would be OK if all lines adopted that policy.  

 

 

Edited by ldubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I just read on the CC home page that Carnival now has a ban on rude/offensive T-shirts.  I would be OK if all lines adopted that policy.  

 

 

It's really sad that they would even have to put a policy into place--that people aren't able to just self-monitor.

 

When my son was in high school the policy was no shirts with vulgar language/curse words, depictions of violence, alcohol, or drugs, or anything else administration deemed unacceptable.  If they wore an offending shirt they had to turn it inside out and got two demerit points.  Fortunately most of his shirts were various Disney characters (he's to this day a big Nightmare Before Christmas fan) or USAF shirts his Uncle gave him, so it was one thing I didn't need to worry about.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I just read on the CC home page that Carnival now has a ban on rude/offensive T-shirts.  I would be OK if all lines adopted that policy.  

 

And just who decides?

 

What is rude to some, is hilarious to others.

 

Like defining porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ducklite said:

It's really sad that they would even have to put a policy into place--that people aren't able to just self-monitor.

 

When my son was in high school the policy was no shirts with vulgar language/curse words, depictions of violence, alcohol, or drugs, or anything else administration deemed unacceptable.  If they wore an offending shirt they had to turn it inside out and got two demerit points.  Fortunately most of his shirts were various Disney characters (he's to this day a big Nightmare Before Christmas fan) or USAF shirts his Uncle gave him, so it was one thing I didn't need to worry about.  🙂 

 

And having grown up in a Navy family, I find USAF t-shirts offensive...

 

🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

 

And just who decides?

 

What is rude to some, is hilarious to others.

 

Like defining porn.


If it would be offensive to the majority of average people, it's too offensive to be worn in public.  I find a lot of things funny that I know that the average person would find offensive.  I have the common sense to not subject them to this "humor."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read through 9 pages to see if my family and I made it into this thread. We did not, though I wouldn't have been surprised, as people definitely found us amusing, though no one seemed remotely offended.

 

Since 1999, our family has taken pictures wearing matching pajamas for our Christmas cards. I even have a wall in the house with all the pictures that stays up all year. With the oldest living in Montana, it's hard to get us all together for the pictures. As we were cruising together to celebrate two graduations and my 50th, Hubby thought it would be fun to get nautical themed pajamas and do the pictures on the cruise. One night, when several portrait stations were set up, we had everyone put on their jammies and meet for pictures. A few people smiled and inquired, and we happily explained. We got pleasant and polite responses (at least to our faces). Unfortunately, none of those pictures turned out well.

 

We were traveling with our good friend/travel agent. He arranged to have us invited to the helipad for sail-away from Santorini. We tried the pajamas again. The white pants and dark shirts worked better in the sunlight exposure-wise, and we got some nice photos taken by another friend. 

 

I'm sure we were a source of amusement for some folks, though I do believe we were not a disruption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SRF said:

 

And just who decides?

 

What is rude to some, is hilarious to others.

 

Like defining porn.

Like who?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...