Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
kjbacon

Voyager or Mariner?

We are looking to book our 3rd Regent cruise and have found an interesting itinerary that is available on both Mariner and Voyager. Which ship do you prefer ... and why? 

I prefer the Mariner because I like the shower much better and don't like having the tub in the bathroom.   I know that some people find the Mariner "regular"suites (G) too small, but we've always been happy campers indeed.

The two ships have the same size and number of passengers.  Voyager has larger cabins at the slight expense of the amount of public space available.  Mariner has smaller cabins with a larger amount of public space. I prefer Mariner, but others prefer Voyager. Both are excellent, so you can't go wrong with either.

I small correction to poss' post: not all Mariner cabins are shower-only: some have a combination shower and tub.  I haven't sailed the latter configuration, but some people dislike it.

Our first love on Regent was Voyager, back when she was almost a brand-new ship.  Love those suites, but the shower stalls are a bit tight and awkward.

But having spent 18 days a couple of years ago on Mariner, I prefer the public spaces.  Compass Rose is somehow compartmentalized, not just one big room, so it has a quieter, more intimate feel.  The Coffee Connection is wonderful.  Overall it just feels roomier.  But yes, the standard cabins are smaller, but the shower (if you can live without a tub) is the full size of a (former) tub.

kjbacon:  Just to be more explicit about what's been implied already.    If you do decide to choose Mariner, and don't want to have the awkwardness of a shower/tub combo (though no doubt some people prefer it), when you choose your suite, be very sure that you choose one that has the shower configuration only.   There are little symbols beside the suite numbers indicating which are shower only, and if I'm not mistaken those seem to go first.   E.g. for an upcoming cruise, G category (which we prefer) was "guarantee."   We had to go up to F because we couldn't  risk being put in one of the tub/shower suites.

And to reiterate what Wendy said: My husband and I both find the showers on Voyager a bit tight and awkward.

We’ve done both and would probably opt for Mariner. We like the public spaces and the shower situation is a plus.

I think you also need to consider whether it's more port-intensive or ship-centric - if it's port-intensive you'll be off the ship more so maybe the public spaces are less of a concern.  Also, what do YOU value most, a larger cabin or larger public spaces?  

I don't think you can go wrong on either, really.

All Regent ships are good but we would opt for Mariner. The lounges & bars are a tad better configured and the layout of the Pool Deck is excellent.

If you can stretch your budget, go for a Penthouse or Horizon suite on Mariner as the basic suites are a little snug.

As others have said we prefer the shower-only suites on Mariner rather than the awkward tub/shower combo.

Have fun in your planning & decision making and, whichever ship you choose, have a wonderful cruise 😎

My preference would always be the Mariner rather than Voyager. The Mariner public spaces are excellent and always feel conducive for a warm and friendly environment.

Penthouse suite with shower only option is what we always chose.

Our cruise booking always has to be destination and timescale restriction in mind, and we are happy on any of the 4 ships. Jean.

Thank you all for such helpful responses! We definitely prefer a shower only and not a shower/tub combo. Does the Voyager have both a shower and a tub or is it a combo? Does one ship have a nicer spa than another? One member of our group just loves saunas and hot tubs and such. He is looking forward to his first Regent cruise in January.

Voyager has both shower and tub.   (Remember that I can only speak about the "lower" cabins.)   Don't know about spa, but others will report.

I'm finding it so interesting that many CC'ers prefer Mariner since Mariner was built first and, after seeing what needed to be improved, they launched Voyager.  This is not dissimilar to Explorer being first and Splendor fixing what Regent felt was needed to make the ship better.

We strongly prefer Voyager (except for the PH suites).  We do not care for the smaller suites, the fact that there are two hallways on Mariner with something in the middle (thinking that this is space for crew members).  CR on Voyager (and Navigator) is wide open - you can see the entire space while on Mariner there is the same "something" in the middle which blocks the views.  And, the bathtub suites on Mariner are dangerous - not just for disabled passengers but also for able bodied passengers.  

In terms of the spa, etc., nothing matches Explorer so I won't comment on Mariner or Voyager.

Voyager was our favorite ship for 13 years but we have enjoyed sailings on Mariner as well.  Interestingly, the suites on Navigator (a ship that we no longer sail on) is better than on Mariner (it is very similar to Voyager's larger's suites).  

While you can have a wonderful experience on either ship, if suite size (including bathroom and closet) is not a problem - select Mariner.  However, if you want a larger suite (bathroom with a shower AND bathtub and larger closet), select Voyager. 

I have to agree with TC that I expected more people would favor the newer Voyager. The information on the bathrooms has been particularly helpful and the tip about being sure to get the shower only on the Mariner (if we go that route) is invaluable. A tub/shower combo is one of our least favorite features in any room, let alone a moving room. Just took a look at the shower stall on the Voyager and that really is small plus we are so unlikely to use the bathtub. Although, it could be a handy spot to store our luggage! My claustrophobic husband would have trouble with that shower but the glass enclosure might ease that somewhat. I took a harder look at the deck plans to understand what TC was saying and I see it now. That explains why the cabins are smaller, with the extra space being in the hallway area. 

We are indeed deed spoiled by the spa on the Explorer as I expect our friends will be on their first Regent in January. 

Is one of these ships better than the other in rough seas?

Mariner is by far the most stable ship of the fleet.  I would rate Voyager and Explorer second and Navigator last.

We have also sailed both.  (And the Navigator too...)   I far prefer the Mariner to Voyager.   We have been in PH suites on  both.   the PH on Mariner is huge.  On Voyager the design is a bit weird.  And it is not so big.  "Normal" suites though on Voyager are larger than those on Mariner (we were once in a "normal" suite on Mariner and NEVER AGAIN!)   I like the public spaces more on Mariner too.  For the bathroom - I used to far prefer the bath/shower combo on Mariner which is closer to what we normally have here in Switzerland.  Now though - getting older - I find baths hard to get in and out of and so like a shower.  Voyager has smaller showers - or so I have been told.

Personally I would let the itinerary make the choice but if the two are equal - for me it would be Mariner and then in a Seven Seas Aft Suite which is wonderful!  If not - any PH suite would do.

What I remember is also something with the safe. On the Mariner it is a very small safe.

We did Voyager two times and my wife loves the bath and I the shower which is big enough. We will take at the end of the year again a Mariner cruise but now with shower only. The shower/bath combi is terrible.

Lots of good advice here already, but I'll chime in...

Our first two Regent cruises have been on the Mariner and Voyager. 

For our Mariner cruise (our first Regent cruise) we booked a PH, and I agree with everyone that these are wonderful suites - including a really nice and roomy shower-only bath.  We selected a PH because, based on the suite descriptions, a 'regular' suite just looked a little too small.  We actually were able to view such a suite while onboard the Mariner, and quickly realized we'd made the right decision - for us at least.  

On the Voyager, we had originally booked a Deluxe Veranda, because these suites are larger (306 s/f vs 252 s/f on the Mariner).  However, we ended up taking a late upsell to a PH-A.  As previously mentioned, the PH-A and PH-B on the Voyager have an unusual layout and really aren't that much larger than the DV (which we were also able to view while onboard).  In retrospect, I think we'd have been just as happy in a DV on the Voyager.

Service and cuisine were excellent on both ships.

7 hours ago, Henk123 said:

What I remember is also something with the safe. On the Mariner it is a very small safe.

The safes on Mariner were replaced during last years refurbishment. They are now the same large size as other Regent ships.

We prefer Voyager over Mariner.  We like having tub and shower separate.  Also, we felt lost half the time in the public areas.  More than once, we would ask ourselves “where is everybody? “ 

We base which Regent cruise we go on by itinerary and availability, not ship. You may want to see what cabins are available. That may decide it for you. 

I'm 6' 4" and the tub/shower combo on Mariner was uncomfortable - I had to bend my neck as the floor is raised so high. It was a delight to return to our vaulted ceiling home bathroom!!

That was the only real minus of the ship though - she's beautiful, and our PHB suite was so spacious. The public areas were never crowded and often, we were the only people in the observation lounge which has terrific views

If I were to be nit-picky - as a photographer, the lack of a proper forward outside observation area was a slight annoyance, and the tables in CR were a little too close for comfort one evening with a large party seated next to us. I can't comment on Voyager, but we'd definitely cruise on Mariner again. 

There is also the issue of vibration. On Voyager you have to be careful not to book suites in the aft part of the ship. No such worries on the Mariner.

27 minutes ago, wripro said:

There is also the issue of vibration. On Voyager you have to be careful not to book suites in the aft part of the ship. No such worries on the Mariner.

The aft vibration on Voyager has been lessened quite a bit in the last few years (nowhere near as bad as Navigator).  We booked an aft suite on Voyager a couple of years ago - just to see what it was like and only felt vibration in the bathroom (and we were sailing from Bali to Sydney which is a long way by sea).  

Voyager to us is somewhat like Explorer.  We love both ships - in spite of the fact that they are not perfect (probably becomes nothing is perfect).  And, as stable and as much public space as the Mariner has, we cannot get over the size of the suites (below PH) - they are simply too small for us.  Yes - she has more public space but some of that is Stars Lounge which, in the opinion of many, is a waste of space.  The lounge is closed during the day and is empty until maybe after show (10:30 p.m.) for late-night passengers.  The space seems mostly to be used for the children's Mariner's Club program during the summer.

P.S.  I found it interesting when Regent decided to use Mariner for the world cruise since in the past they preferred using Voyager (and then Navigator).  I cannot imagine being in a bathtub/shower suite on Mariner for very long (and in a suite so small for so long).

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree that the Stars Lounge is not an effectively used space on Mariner.

I would love it if we could have a Voyager-sized G cabin on Mariner, but it's not to be.  Since we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin, we think the G will be fine, although I know it will feel small at times.  But at WC prices, we don't have the choice--I just feel very blessed to be able to justify the expense of a world cruise at all.

We've been in a Voyager PH, and even though it's only a few square feet larger than a standard, it's a lovely cabin, very well laid-out.  Now the PH on Mariner looks like heaven on earth to me--if only! 

Have sailed on both, prefer the Mariner.  I did not care for the bathroom in the Concierge suite nor the Coffee Bar area.  Explorer is still our favorite.