Sun Princess

stefndoug

I had (notice past tense LOL)a friend...who posted a scathing picture comparison of the Disney Wonder and the Sun Princess in Vancouver on Monday.  She made a bunch of comments on how disgusting the ship looked and that it made her want to vomit.  Now I will have to admit it looked bad, but...there has to be a reason that it isn't looking all shiny.  I can't even find an itinerary until SEptember, but it is on her way up to Alaska.  What is going on with her?  

Stefani

Edited by stefndoug

Well the Sun Princess is a 30 year old ship. It sails mostly out of Australia/Asia region. Its on its current Circle Pacific cruise. However, it is a ship that is a long term favourite of Australian cruisers. I have sailed on her before and would again. Has lovely wide promenade wrap around deck holding about 2000 passengers. It was recently refurbished in 2018

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. But has a old charm about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

I had (notice past tense LOL)a friend...who posted a scathing picture comparison of the Disney Wonder and the Sun Princess in Vancouver on Monday.  She made a bunch of comments on how disgusting the ship looked and that it made her want to vomit.  Now I will have to admit it looked bad, but...there has to be a reason that it isn't looking all shiny.  I can't even find an itinerary until SEptember, but it is on her way up to Alaska.  What is going on with her?  

Stefani

She is in Juneau today. She looks fine to me. 

I would rather be sailing her around the Pacific than a 7 day Alaska on Disney.  

Tony

20190703_163132.jpg

3 minutes ago, saratoga said:

She is in Juneau today. She looks fine to me. 

I would rather be sailing her around the Pacific than a 7 day Alaska on Disney.  

Tony

20190703_163132.jpg

Disney is an awesome cruiseline.  The pictures from VAncouver had her with a lot of rust and looking very dirty on the outside.  

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Well the Sun Princess is a 30 year old ship. It sails mostly out of Australia/Asia region. Its on its current Circle Pacific cruise. However, it is a ship that is a long term favourite of Australian cruisers. I have sailed on her before and would again. Has lovely wide promenade wrap around deck holding about 2000 passengers. It was recently refurbished in 2018

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. But has a old charm about it. 

Actually the Disney Wonder is only a few years younger than the Sun.    

Thanks for answering my question.  That must be a long cruise if there is nothing in the summer :)  

The pictures posted from Vancouver didn't make it look very nice though, but maybe it just needed some cleaning up before it went on it's way to Alaska :)

STefani

Sun Princess is currently up for sale. She showed up on a list of cruise ships for sale that I saw a week or so ago, and a Princess rep confirmed that yesterday when I was chatting to her after doing some changes to my booked cruises.

It's a shame from my perspective. We've done two cruises on her and she's one of my favourite ships. She's a good size for some of the Australian-based South Pacific itineraries, and also for cruises out of Fremantle in Western Australia.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sun Princess is currently up for sale. She showed up on a list of cruise ships for sale that I saw a week or so ago, and a Princess rep confirmed that yesterday when I was chatting to her after doing some changes to my booked cruises.

It's a shame from my perspective. We've done two cruises on her and she's one of my favourite ships. She's a good size for some of the Australian-based South Pacific itineraries, and also for cruises out of Fremantle in Western Australia.

I often wonder about those sites. Shortly after the Grand came out, there was a picture of a ship that looked identical to her on a website for sale. This was a brand new ship and very unique - I doubted that was true.

I believe it is possible Princess wants to get rid of her. I wish they would put her on more exotic itineraries as there are a ton of us who love her but don't go to Australia to be on her.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thank you for that information...I appreciate that.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks for that info Ozkiwi, I wont make to many plans for our Tokyo to Vancouver crossing in 2021 then!! It is 2 years away and how things can change in a day!

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Being up for sale means nothing. Ships are up for sale for years because the cruise line waits until they get the right price for them it is very likely a quarter or more of the Princess fleet is up for sale waiting for a buyer who will buy them which will take a couple of years.

When Sun Princess arrived in Vancouver she had just finished a North Pacific crossing & with a white hull there would have been many rust stains showing. Any rust stains on Disney Wonder would be harder to see with its black hull.

Sun Princess is actually 24 years old & as others have said many middle sged ships are for sale for the right money.

During the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo the Sun Princess is chartered for floating hotel duty at Yokohama.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is an old ship.

IMO......

Like the Grand it's time to go.

We like the Sun Princess. She happened to be our first Princess ship. Having cruised on several larger and new ships, we still like cruising on the Sun P or her sister, the Sea Princess.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We like the Sun Princess. She happened to be our first Princess ship. Having cruised on several larger and new ships, we still like cruising on the Sun P or her sister, the Sea Princess.

I hear you.....not knocking the design but she is just old.

Doubt we will ever see any Princess ships like the R ships/Sun Class/Coral types ever again. 

I sailed on the Sun last year and there was a lot to like.  First, history - when it came out it was the world’s largest ship.  Given it is now one of the smaller ships it had a number of nice food venues.  Also, the atrium was larger than on some of the larger ships allowing for a lot of seating for evening entertainment.  For some reason the Vista lounge seemed to have more evening high quality entertainment and was much more comfortable than the Princess Theatre.  All of those nice touches for the Aussie market - the grill, NZ ice cream.  It just seemed less crowded than other ships and the staff was great too.  I believe it is due to be transferred to P&O but could be sold.

• Like 1

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

I hear you.....not knocking the design but she is just old.

Doubt we will ever see any Princess ships like the R ships/Sun Class/Coral types ever again. 

LOL    Some day someone will say the same thing about the Royal Class ships.     Always fun to see the newest class of ships.    

1 hour ago, matadams4u said:

It just seemed less crowded than other ships and the staff was great too.  I believe it is due to be transferred to P&O but could be sold.

I thought it was going to P&O also. I agree - it is far less crowded and is quite classy. I have been on the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess several times. Some of my fondest memories are on the Sun Class ships as those were the first ships I was on. Even after going on the Grand class ships, I went back to the Sun Class ships many times as I preferred them.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I thought it was going to P&O also. I agree - it is far less crowded and is quite classy. I have been on the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess several times. Some of my fondest memories are on the Sun Class ships as those were the first ships I was on. Even after going on the Grand class ships, I went back to the Sun Class ships many times as I preferred them.

I haven't heard of any rumours of Sun going to P&O but Golden is, next year I think.

I love Crooners on the Sun class ships, right around the whole atrium, instead of being squished into one side to make room for shops like on the bigger ships.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I love the walk-around promenade deck. The Sun also has the anytime TV in the cabins - great.

We love this ship even though it is getting old. Last time I was on it there was a little bit of rust in some places but I have also seen this on newer ships.

We have spent over 100 nights on her over the last 8 years so just know her so well. After being on the Majestic in November, I would still have no problems cruising on the Sun if the itinerary was what I wanted. We so missed Crooners and the Wheelhouse Bar for dancing.

I remember you Aus Traveller.😉