Cruise Critic Community
2cruiseagain

Great cruise tool!

Posted (edited)

I bought this online before our first Crystal cruise after reading about the scarcity of plugs on the ship. 

I started trying to find a compact travel usb plug but am really happy with this one. The long cord gives you flexibility to move it around and the multiple ports were more than enough. Plus they’re smart ports so they send more power to iPads than phones. Also all the international type plugs if needed. I think it was less than $20 and saved me from bringing all those cubes. 

AD088032-245C-48FE-B506-C7BC1D5BCD12.jpeg

Edited by 2cruiseagain
Forgot pic!

Personally I do not see the need for something like this. We did 46 days on Serenity last year and 35 days this year, with a laptop, tablet, smartphone, two cameras and two FitBits, and got along fine with the 110 outlets and the the 220 outlets with adaptors.  We will be doing the full World Cruise in 2020 and don't anticipate needing anything more. If "you" (generically) are travelling with that many "gadgets" that you need that many plugs, then maybe you need to consider how connected is too connected.

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Personally I do not see the need for something like this. We did 46 days on Serenity last year and 35 days this year, with a laptop, tablet, smartphone, two cameras and two FitBits, and got along fine with the 110 outlets and the the 220 outlets with adaptors.  We will be doing the full World Cruise in 2020 and don't anticipate needing anything more. If "you" (generically) are travelling with that many "gadgets" that you need that many plugs, then maybe you need to consider how connected is too connected.

What's too connected for one person might be just the right amount of connected for another.

I'm impressed that you have that many gizmos and are able to manage. Of course, on Crystal, they have their own little three-plug power strip in most cabins. I'm guessing they're available for the asking, if not already in  my cabin?

And I'm in awe that you're going on the world cruise -- you and everybody else. So glad the rest of us get to enjoy from your online postings!

9 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

I bought this online before our first Crystal cruise after reading about the scarcity of plugs on the ship. 

I started trying to find a compact travel usb plug but am really happy with this one. The long cord gives you flexibility to move it around and the multiple ports were more than enough. Plus they’re smart ports so they send more power to iPads than phones. Also all the international type plugs if needed. I think it was less than $20 and saved me from bringing all those cubes. 

Could you please let me know who the company is on this as I would like to take a look at it?

Thank you.

Keith

Yes, ditto. The long cord would help get things arranged better. We have a power strip but it still sits right on the desktop and makes things unwieldy. Thanks for the post.

10 hours ago, Roland4 said:

If YOU are travelling with the amount of gadgets you say you had on Serenity, maybe YOU are too connected 😁

Also depends upon cabin type (and ship).  On Symphony recently - other than the suites there was 1 US and 1 European plug in the cabin and 1 US as part of the hair dryer in the bathroom.  So most people need something - whether brought with you on supplied on the ship.  

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

If YOU are travelling with the amount of gadgets you say you had on Serenity, maybe YOU are too connected 😁

Touche!! :classic_tongue: However in our defense, the only one we "communicate" with is the laptop. The tablet is for synching our FitBits, and occasionally reading the "home" newspaper on longer cruises, and the smartphone is for taking pictures. It's smaller, has better telephoto capability, and has better battery life than our small camera.

One thing to consider with a device like this is the total output for all of the USB ports.

Most such devices have a maximum power that gets spread across all the ports.  So although it may charge one device nicely, if you put three or four on, you divide the total charging power across them.

Also, you want to check as to the amperage of the ports - some devices such as Apple iPads need a higher amp rating than do Android phones.  Some "smart" chargers automatically adjust to the amperage needed, which others have specific ratings for each port.

Caveat emptor.

Yes.  Please provide the name of the item and/or link to purchase.  Many thanks, Julia

22 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

I bought a device similar to this for international travel, but am considering taking it on my next Crystal cruise.  You didn't state that yours is also a voltage converter ?(Mine is.) It is ultra convenient for having everything charging in one place, and quickly. Mine is made by Besttek.  They make several different versions at different price points.Got it on Amazon.  

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

Be sure to read those specs.  A 17 watt charger will only provide a total of 3.4 amps for the sum of all six USB ports.   (5 volts x 3.4 amps = 17 watts.)  And since Apple devices want 2.4 amps each - well, you are effectively buying a one port charger.

Now, this might be good as a socket multiplier, but a standard extension cord could do the same.

Be sure to understand what you are planning to charge and how that fits in with the device specifications.

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Be sure to read those specs.  A 17 watt charger will only provide a total of 3.4 amps for the sum of all six USB ports.   (5 volts x 3.4 amps = 17 watts.)  And since Apple devices want 2.4 amps each - well, you are effectively buying a one port charger.

Now, this might be good as a socket multiplier, but a standard extension cord could do the same.

Be sure to understand what you are planning to charge and how that fits in with the device specifications.

I just found what the OP was talking about. Sorry - should have said I haven't used it.

18 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Most such devices have a maximum power that gets spread across all the ports.  So although it may charge one device nicely, if you put three or four on, you divide the total charging power across them. 

That's what you need in order to plug in several at once to charge them in overnight (otherwise you'd have to get up in the middle of the night to change devices - this way you can charge 3 or 4 slowly at once, rather than charging each in sequence but faster).  I have something similar but with a relatively short cord.

11 hours ago, Coral said:

Thank you for posting this and once again thank you 2cruiseagain for starting the thread.

Always nice to see what others use in the way of equipment.  

When I travel I like to have a lot of plugs because our time begins at a pre cruise hotel, continues on the ship and often ends at a post cruise hotel.  In some hotels they have lots of outlets and at others they do not on a desk so for me better to have more rather than less.  In the scheme of things I error on more rather than less.  As it turns out I have something similar to this and regardless of what has been said it charges things quicker enough for me.  At night I charge our two iWatches and whether it take four hours or eight to charge is irrelevant since I am sleeping and the same goes for computers, phones and from time to time other items.  And from time to time use a heating blanket (no I would not plug it into this device.  I would use another outlet)

When there is as much push back as I see on this thread my concern is that  others who think about sharing their own ideas stop posting and IMHO that is unfortunate.

We each have our own requirements and one can enjoy a cruise whether they bring one or ten devices.  And like most things there is not one single solution.  If there was we would all use the same technology.  

Keith

Coral got the exact item which is $17.99.  There are all kinds of options, and I have used many including a regular power strip.  I liked that this has 6 USB ports built in and that it has the long cord.  Again, not as portable as most, but it really helped us with ipads, iphones, iwatches, blue tooth speakers etc.  You can also see a portable power block charging which was nice to have in a pinch.  We used it on our long flight.

I also got one of these bags to keep the snarled tangled mess of my cables at bay.

It was nice not to have to root through every pocket in my back pack to find just what I was looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N21QFVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81BenUfAPAL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, 2cruiseagain said:

I also got one of these bags to keep the snarled tangled mess of my cables at bay.

It was nice not to have to root through every pocket in my back pack to find just what I was looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N21QFVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81BenUfAPAL._SL1500_.jpg

Nifty!  I have ordered one - just in time for our next Crystal cruise.  Thanks for the suggestion.

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

When there is as much push back as I see on this thread my concern is that  others who think about sharing their own ideas stop posting and IMHO that is unfortunate

What push back are you referring to? You seem to be suggesting that it’s been in some way negative and that there’s been a lot of it 

What I see is people posting their experience and approach and comments on the limitations of some devices - nothing wrong with that. There’s going to lots of views so it’s great that everyone feels free to share them and are not put off by those who would like universal agreement/compliance on every matter 

If people are really put off because others make comments that don’t agree with what they post then Cruise Critic is probably not the public forum for them 

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

What push back are you referring to? You seem to be suggesting that it’s been in some way negative and that there’s been a lot of it 

What I see is people posting their experience and approach and comments on the limitations of some devices - nothing wrong with that. There’s going to lots of views so it’s great that everyone feels free to share them and are not put off by those who would like universal agreement/compliance on every matter 

If people are really put off because others make comments that don’t agree with what they post then Cruise Critic is probably not the public forum for them 

Since you asked.

Well push back such as someone saying that if you bring such as device you are too connected.  

I could go on but that is one example of some of the posts on this thread.

Aren't most of us a little too connected?  Crystal is the one that gave us free wifi throughout the ship!  I thought it was great and easily disconnected from work while still enjoying the services offered through the iPad and iPhone.

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

As it turns out I have something similar to this and regardless of what has been said it charges things quicker enough for me.  At night I charge our two iWatches and whether it take four hours or eight to charge is irrelevant since I am sleeping and the same goes for computers, phones and from time to time other items.  And from time to time use a heating blanket (no I would not plug it into this device.  I would use another outlet)

Good that it works for you.  My main concern is that folks would buy this and think that each USB port would be providing full power to all 6 ports simultaneously.  Or even most of them.  With such low powered chargers, it will take overnight to charge.  And sometimes, for things like phones (when used as cameras), you need a charge in the middle of the day.  Or if you forget to plug something in because the Avenue was just too good that night.

There are a number of similar outlet strips.  If you have a USB C device, such as a newer phone or tablet, you may want one with a dedicated C port for faster charging.  But the main thing is to look at the specs.  Get something with at least 30 watts, and note that the number of amps it puts out is 1/5 of that wattage.

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

Good that it works for you.  My main concern is that folks would buy this and think that each USB port would be providing full power to all 6 ports simultaneously.  Or even most of them.  With such low powered chargers, it will take overnight to charge.  And sometimes, for things like phones (when used as cameras), you need a charge in the middle of the day.  Or if you forget to plug something in because the Avenue was just too good that night.

There are a number of similar outlet strips.  If you have a USB C device, such as a newer phone or tablet, you may want one with a dedicated C port for faster charging.  But the main thing is to look at the specs.  Get something with at least 30 watts, and note that the number of amps it puts out is 1/5 of that wattage.

I hear you and I agree.  Excellent/constructive feedback, particularly for those looking for a quick charge.

In my case I have a routine for charging all our devices each night so time isn't super critical.

Also should I need a quicker charge I just use a single outlet directly such as if I need to charge my iPhone quickly before we are getting someplace.  

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I hear you and I agree.  Excellent/constructive feedback, particularly for those looking for a quick charge.

In my case I have a routine for charging all our devices each night so time isn't super critical.

Also should I need a quicker charge I just use a single outlet directly such as if I need to charge my iPhone quickly before we are getting someplace.  

Keith

Is anyone here surprised to hear that Keith has a routine that he follows religiously? Love you, Keith!! 😎😍

Patty

15 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Well push back such as someone saying that if you bring such as device you are too connected.  

And said comment was made in jest, especially in light of the number of devices we travel with ourselves. :classic_ohmy::classic_smile:

My point was that with a little bit of management it should be possible to keep everything charged using the available plugs. We have managed to do just that in both a regular balcony cabin and a PH, which admittedly does have more plugs available. For us, the less "stuff" we have to pack the better. :classic_smile: