Cruise Critic Community
2cruiseagain

Great cruise tool!

Thank you 2cruiseagain for all the info.  The fact that the plug has a cord means that I can transfer items from the desk to the floor, out of my way.  I ordered the plugs for one grandson and me and the bag for my other grandson who is finishing his masters and will need it for work.  Perfect gifts.  Julia

Larry  I hear you.  While the plugs might work for you it doesn’t mean it is a good alternative for each person. For me I could never make do with the existing outlets.  I recognize some can but some can’t including myself.

Now if I had to I would make it work but I prefer the ease of charging the majority of my devices simultaneously and don’t mint packing a device or multiple devices that allow me to do this. 

Choice is is good and it’s nice each person can decide for themselves what works best for them. 

Full disclosure i carry carry a lot of electronics some of which have not been mentioned. 😀😎

Keith

7 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Choice is is good and it’s nice each person can decide for themselves what works best for them. 

Full disclosure i carry carry a lot of electronics some of which have not been mentioned. 😀😎

Keith

Precisely. For no particular reason, we are not "i-people", and do not own a single "i-product". I suspect if we did, we would probably need a device such as discussed. 

And like Patty's earlier comment, why does your last line not surprise me!!!:classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

And said comment was made in jest, especially in light of the number of devices we travel with ourselves. :classic_ohmy::classic_smile:

My point was that with a little bit of management it should be possible to keep everything charged using the available plugs. We have managed to do just that in both a regular balcony cabin and a PH, which admittedly does have more plugs available. For us, the less "stuff" we have to pack the better. :classic_smile:

As someone who takes way more junk on my one Crystal cruise a year than all of my other annual travel combined, I still appreciated your comment.  Like Keith, I too am electronics-heavy when I’m onboard (I fill a dedicated large drawer with cords, adapters and devices in the cabin), but I certainly appreciate that doesn’t sound like much of a vacation to others.  🙂

To the subject at hand, I have both a high-wattage smart USB charger like FlyerTalker described and a 3-prong, 3-plug long extension cord I bring, and between the two things (which are usually not used together) I have plenty of juice.  I do carry a couple of 220 adapters as backups just in case though, for individual devices. 

Vince

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Thank you 2cruiseagain for all the info.  The fact that the plug has a cord means that I can transfer items from the desk to the floor, out of my way.  I ordered the plugs for one grandson and me and the bag for my other grandson who is finishing his masters and will need it for work.  Perfect gifts.  Julia

I am glad I posted this.  You won't be disappointed.  I call the electronics bag my "go bag".  I bought extra cables and just keep that bag full so I'm not running around thinking of all the cables and plugs I'll need for a trip the night before.  Either business or pleasure.  Also, the airport only needs to look at that one bag instead of wires all over the place!

I know these might seem simple but I use these bags for my cords and plugs. 

I bring lots of everything.  Extra cords and plugs for iPhones, Computers, iWatches, etc.  I don't want to take a chance of having ones go bad.  If on a short cruise I bring less backup.  On long cruises I want lots of backup.  I find that I can get more items in these and appreciate you can see through them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FK8YBBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disregard some of the product labeling.  I don't need a mouse, etc.

81tp9qHPyDL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.341ef49654fad5b2c0291d3420626032.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074PNT3HJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61415yOLPZL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.0589c342c8a8b0bd11c34659bcb8fdec.jpg

I was thinking of what we bring in terms of electronics.

Two Mac Book Air Computers

Three iPhones (one of three I use for the iTunes songs for workouts)

Two iPads

Two iWatches

Two AirPods

Two to Three Cameras

Other requirements for Plugs

Hair Dryer (not for me)

Heating Pad (not used all the time but more than when I was younger)

I am sure I've forgotten something that we bring.

We just keep the two computers plugged in all the time.

Two iphones, two iWatches, are charged daily or more frequently depending on how they are used. 

AirPods we just keep charged when not in use.

I was thinking the first time on Harmony in 2002 I just had one item for e-mail which back then only used in USA ports.  Don't even think I would have brought a charger for camera battery as that was back in the day that I was still taking photos a film camera so we took far fewer photos compared to today.  I believe I started to use a digital camera in 2004.  

A lot has changed in a relatively short time.

Keith

Posted (edited)

I use these from Travelon for packing cords, batteries and chargers. I belong to Eddie Bauer's rewards. I periodically get $10 rewards from them. They sell these for $20. Yesterday they had 50% off Eddie Bauer items and 25% off other items. So these were discounted $5 and I used my $10 reward from them so it came to $5. I buy these and use them for gifts for travel friends. For example, one year, my family got ebags packing cubes and then a set of these. 

The large one contains my charger for MacBook Pro, iPad charger, iPhone charger and kindle charger. The middle one has 2 different camera battery charges, batteries and a backup camera (small).

TSA likes me also.

22305_070_0.jpg

Edited by Coral

Thanks 2cruiseagain for sharing info about this device! 👍 I purchased a charging station for cruising a few years ago but it doesn't have the smart feature and therefore isn't the best for iPads or laptops. I'll be looking into this one for our December sailing. 

I'm loving this thread because it has assured me that we're not alone in the amount of gadgets we (OK, I) haul onto cruise ships! LOL! It's funny, because when we do land-based adventure trips, we often get by with tiny carryons and minimal electronics/beauty tools. For some reason cruising entices us to pack everything but the kitchen sink! Perhaps the culprit is only having to unpack everything once on a cruise vacation.

Our cruise packing list of TTPI (Things That Plug In 😉) includes:

1 x MacBook

1 x iPad

1 x DSLR

2 x iPhones (These double as cameras in the evening when we don't want to lug our DSLR around.)

2 x GoPros (One is in a regular case and the other is in a case that takes cool part above/part underwater shots.)

1 x portable battery backup pack 

1 x FitBit 

1 x travel-sized air diffuser

1 x hair dryer (We use the one in the stateroom, but it still counts as a plug in item!)

1 x hair straightening iron (Tip: It doubles as an iron to smooth minor wrinkles on dress shirts!)

2 x curling irons (I had one die on me while in Cuba several years ago. Let's just say there were no "good hair day" photos of me from that trip. Haha! Now I bring two in different barrel sizes just in case one bites the biscuit.)

That's a whopping 14 items! Of course, all of these electronics do not need to be charged at the same time. 

I'm laughing to myself right now because I am recalling some of my first big trips as a kid in the '80s... The only thing I packed that required electricity back then was my hair crimper! 🤣

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I use these from Travelon for packing cords, batteries and chargers. I belong to Eddie Bauer's rewards. I periodically get $10 rewards from them. They sell these for $20. Yesterday they had 50% off Eddie Bauer items and 25% off other items. So these were discounted $5 and I used my $10 reward from them so it came to $5. I buy these and use them for gifts for travel friends. For example, one year, my family got ebags packing cubes and then a set of these. 

The large one contains my charger for MacBook Pro, iPad charger, iPhone charger and kindle charger. The middle one has 2 different camera battery charges, batteries and a backup camera (small).

TSA likes me also.

22305_070_0.jpg

I found these same bags last week and tucked them into my travel closet. 

Also found these bags for organizing charging cables. IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.e6134a20ae2fd43934a295b53f6b4c62.JPG

17 minutes ago, BeachTunes said:

I'm laughing to myself right now because I am recalling some of my first big trips as a kid in the '80s... The only thing I packed that required electricity back then was my hair crimper! 🤣

In the 80's - I did one of those high school trips to Europe. They told us not to bring anything electronic. I brought a Conair butane curling iron that did not work well!

Posted (edited)

This was the configuration in our cabin (7039) on Serenity along with a European and a US outlet which had a 3 plug adapter. This renders all your electric adapters redundant and unnecessary.

IMG_20190618_235337077_HDR.jpg

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

18 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

This was the configuration in our cabin (7039) on Serenity along with a European and a US outlet which had a 3 plug adapter. This renders all your electric adapters redundant and unnecessary.

So a dual USB socket is installed in the standard rooms on Serenity now? - that’s certainly new and will be very useful

I’d certainly be interested to understand if it is something they’ve installed in all rooms 

I can’t believe all the gear people bring on board to facilitate charging - I’m certainly a connected addict with iPad and iPhone and Fit Bit and survive quite comfortably with one 4 port USB adapter with variable plug types that are easily changed - $12 off eBay

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Works fine if you only have two USB items at a time - and do you know what the amperage is for each port, both individually and when used simultaneously?

There's a very nice free app for android called Ampere that measures charging currents.  No exact similarity for iOS devices.  Can be easily used to test charging ports AND charging cables.

8 hours ago, Coral said:

As I said earlier, we are not "i-people", but am I reading this right that every i-device needs its own separate charger??? No wonder you i-people need these exotic extensions!! :classic_ohmy::classic_blink:

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

As I said earlier, we are not "i-people", but am I reading this right that every i-device needs its own separate charger??? No wonder you i-people need these exotic extensions!! :classic_ohmy::classic_blink:

No that’s not the case at all - I regularly charge 2 iPhones and an iPad at the same time using a single 4 port USB charger with cables to each device although 1 I charge on a wireless charging pad connected to the USB charger - and I charge my Fit Bit using the fourth USB socket on the charger 

There is enough Amperage output on the USB charger to do so concurrently 

17 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

but am I reading this right that every i-device needs its own separate charger???

No, not at all!  I only carry one USB charger with 2 ports, but I need several different cables.  My battery charger uses a different connector than my iPhone, for instance, and neither work for my laptop (which plugs into the socket and isn't a USB device at all).  I think those 3 are the only things I plug in, now that I think about it. 

That said, I actually own many chargers, but I don't travel with them - having lots is handy at home for outlets in many rooms, but unnecessary for travelling. 

We found that between the
USB dual ports and the 3 outlet adapter in the US Electric socket was plenty for us. i even had a European adapter in case I needed more juice.

I traveled with three cameras and six batteries for them. (a set on the chargers and a set in the camera with an extra for the camera bag

2 ipads

my husband is an iphone guy and i use a Motorola Driod Phone

My hair dryer

a USB Charger for my makeup mirror

2 kindles

An ipod for music and our noise Cancelling headphones need a zap for the way home

On our last cruise I made use of the European Outlet which provided one plug plus to usb outlets.

These are outlets in the PH on Serenity one the desk I use.

IMG_8956.thumb.jpg.449b74251bbbb2c7e6dc72eb4350d68a.jpg.abc85b6592d5dd2bc77b6db3a821be37.jpg

In this situation I was using the European Adapter and just one single plug for whatever Apple Product I was charging.

1946953503_IMG_05592.thumb.jpg.12d45f753e2d58da9ed67cb8cc46a25a.jpg.b75ea7028bdcc5fdab6f00c585488e4e.jpg

When I have a lot to charge at once I can use the outlet on the left with a device that provides multiple outlets and usb ports which is similar to what the original poster uses.

On my newest MacBook Air to keep it as thin as they do they provide far less usb ports, etc than in the past.  An improvement in it being much higher than ever but the downside is fewer ports.  

For Anne Marie desk we use a simple multi outlet device provided by Crystal.

One thing we do (thanks to Anne Marie) is put rubber bands around some of the ports to minimize clutter on the desk causes by cords at long lengths.  I highly recommend that.  

IMG_4629.thumb.jpg.48d643c9f90eb2ab9f7f7014f70da189.jpg.c9b6f7fd29ed225d5586bb8349da8a53.jpg

Should she need more outlets we can use the multi charger that I mentioned earlier.

Remember the sides of the beds have options for charging although in the PH I do prefer the two desks on Serenity but there are options.  We use European Adapters to make use of these.

IMG_4627.thumb.jpg.6f10ced0b02811e9aa5304dd6a4899d4.jpg.91475ded00dd513cdfa6c8f23142432a.jpg

Maybe one day the batteries will last for days as opposed to one day or in some cases less than a day.  That is one area that has not improved on many of the devices and with so many apps they can run down sooner rather than later.

Keith

14 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

On my newest MacBook Air to keep it as thin as they do they provide far less usb ports, etc than in the past.  An improvement in it being much higher than ever but the downside is fewer ports.  

Keith - I work in IT and specifically support Macs. I simply don't understand what you mean by "much higher" than ever. Can you further explain? I don't order Airs but am familiar with the product and will probably buy one for myself when a new revision comes out this fall. Thank!

31 minutes ago, Coral said:

I simply don't understand what you mean by "much higher" than ever. 

I’d guess it was a typo (thanks auto correct) and was meant to be “Lighter”

16 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’d guess it was a typo (thanks auto correct) and was meant to be “Lighter”

Thanks! That makes far more sense. 

6 hours ago, Coral said:

Thanks! That makes far more sense. 

Yes meant lighter.

It is very light and thin which are big pluses. 

The downside other than two USB-C ports there is no port for a memory card and not USB 3 ports.  So I have to use other cords/adapters such as USB-C to Card Reader, USB-C to USB Adapters, etc., etc. 

Like many things there are trade-offs and that is what I found but love that it is light so I carry it around as if it was an iPad but get the benefits of a nice size screen, keyboard (without having to connect something to an iPad) and the benefits of being able to use other functionality that I prefer on a computer over an iPad.  Also like that it turns on when you open it up and the touch ID which I didn't have on previous Air and actually works quite well.

Again this means I carry more cords/adapters than I used to when I travel.

Keith

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The downside other than two USB-C ports there is no port for a memory card and not USB 3 ports.  So I have to use other cords/adapters such as USB-C to Card Reader, USB-C to USB Adapters, etc., etc. 

Keith - this is what I buy for my users: https://satechi.net/collections/usb-type-c/products/type-c-multi-port-adapter-with-ethernet-v2  It seems to be the best for ports/cost. There maybe better ones that are more expensive. They have some other ones with less ports also.

I buy MacBook Pros for my users and this is going on 3rd year with Touch ID and I do like it just for that purpose. 

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Keith - this is what I buy for my users: https://satechi.net/collections/usb-type-c/products/type-c-multi-port-adapter-with-ethernet-v2  It seems to be the best for ports/cost. There maybe better ones that are more expensive. They have some other ones with less ports also.

I buy MacBook Pros for my users and this is going on 3rd year with Touch ID and I do like it just for that purpose. 

Thank you.  I hadn't thought about this type of adapter.  

Keith

It is a heck of a world we live in where people take pictures of wall outlets.  Glad someone mentioned it but camera’s have rechargeable batteries. 

I’d rather have something it turns out not needed than can’t do something on a trip because I didn’t bring. 

Mentioned this before but last month on Symphony none of the non PH or suites had more than 1 US in bedroom and 1 as part of bathroom dryer plus 1 European. In bedroom area