Cruise Critic Community
Mike45LC

Blu Basics (on Edge)

I have never sailed on Aqua Class.  So I am ignorant of Blu.  For my upcoming Edge trip:

1.  Is Blu open for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

2.  Is it "anytime" seating?  

3.  Are reservations needed/strongly suggested?

4.  I have seen the Blu menu on the Celebrity website.  Does Blu also offer the regular Main Dining Room daily menu?

5.  I have reservations for each of the four main dining rooms (because each has its own core menu).  For those who have sailed in Aqua Class, do you usually stay with Blu and the specialty restaurants for dinner, instead of the four MDRs?  Or do you also go to the MDRs for dinner?

Thanks in advance.  I feel like such a newbie, because this is my first Aqua!

Mike

Blu is not open for lunch.

you do not have a MDR option....Blu is your dining room.....i don’t understand how you apparently made MDR reservations but the Celebrity website often allows some susspect bookings 

3 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Blu is not open for lunch.

you do not have a MDR option....Blu is your dining room.....i don’t understand how you apparently made MDR reservations but the Celebrity website often allows some susspect bookings 

Just to confirm what Alakegirl said, your assigned dining space is Blu, would be very surprised if when you get there you have reservations in the MDR.

5 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have never sailed on Aqua Class.  So I am ignorant of Blu.  For my upcoming Edge trip:

1.  Is Blu open for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Breakfast and Lunch Only

2.  Is it "anytime" seating?  

Yes anytime seating

Reservations are not taken.   You are seating upon arrival or given a beeper

4.  I have seen the Blu menu on the Celebrity website.  Does Blu also offer the regular Main Dining Room daily menu?

On M-Class you can also order from MDR Menu not sure on Edge

5.  I have reservations for each of the four main dining rooms (because each has its own core menu).  For those who have sailed in Aqua Class, do you usually stay with Blu and the specialty restaurants for dinner, instead of the four MDRs?  Or do you also go to the MDRs for dinner?

Thanks in advance.  I feel like such a newbie, because this is my first Aqua!

Mike

No! Not breakfast and lunch. It is open for breakfast and dinner only!. 

Yes you can order from the main dining room menu on Edge. You can also have the hostess in Blu make reservations for you in any of the 4 other(main) dining rooms for the following evening. We eat at 8:30, so there was no problem with availability.

We  sailed in AQ  many times and  rarely dined anywhere else except in Blu for diner and breakfast.   One time  we did Murano  and on the Edge dined in Eden and that was because we got both at 1/2 price.   Eden was ok and I felt  a stretch even at 1/2 price. Wouldn’t do it again and really glad we didn’t pay full price.

You can have lunch in the MDR on sea days and breakfast everyday.  I would do that instead of dining in one for dinner.  Stick with Blu being your first time.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I had made all my reservations for MDR, but then upgraded my cabin to Aqua class when the prices went down. All of my MDR reservations still stand. That would make sense, just because I can eat in BLU doesn't mean I'll want to, at least not every night depending on menu.  

34 minutes ago, southerngirlllikestotrave said:

Yes you can order from the main dining room menu on Edge. You can also have the hostess in Blu make reservations for you in any of the 4 other(main) dining rooms for the following evening. We eat at 8:30, so there was no problem with availability.

Ordering from MDR menu...That would be new.. It was not so in January but  things are always subject to change.

I wonder if that would make service even  slower.  Waitstaff was great and on the ball, but kitchen was slow several nights,, We  eat much earlier..so maybe that was the reason things were so backed up..

5 minutes ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

I had made all my reservations for MDR, but then upgraded my cabin to Aqua class when the prices went down. All of my MDR reservations still stand. That would make sense, just because I can eat in BLU doesn't mean I'll want to, at least not every night depending on menu.  

I think they will be expecting you in BLU...

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

I think they will be expecting you in BLU...

Agree

Posted (edited)

evilQueen, It might make sense to you, but that isn’t the way it works on Celebrity.  BLU is your assignment, for which you are paying a hefty premium.  If yiu really want to eat in one of the MDR’s have the Blu MaitreD arrange it for you so they can fit you in around the reservations of those who are assigned to the MDR

Edited by Alakegirl

1 hour ago, southerngirlllikestotrave said:

That wasn’t our experience on the Edge.  Blu does have some items from the MDR menu, caesar salad, escargot, French onion soup and shrimp cocktail come to mind, but ordering entrees from the MDR menu on the Edge wasn’t an option.  

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That wasn’t our experience on the Edge.  Blu does have some items from the MDR menu, caesar salad, escargot, French onion soup and shrimp cocktail come to mind, but ordering entrees from the MDR menu on the Edge wasn’t an option.  

Agree, but our last cruise on Edge was April 7th.

Thanks, everyone.  I've never had any desire to try Aqua.

I was not thrilled with the Blu menu, but my wife wanted to try Aqua Class for reasons that completely escape me. 

I just give in to my wife's whims, even if I don't understand them -- it is too complicated to try to figure out why she wants it, I just smile and say "yes, dear."  Someone told her that Aqua Class is better, and she confirmed that it was more expensive and therefore had to be better.  "Yes, dear."

They do have a steak on every night's menu, so I'll be fine!

23 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

I think the point some may be making is that from past experience on this board from others, don't be surprised if those reservations are not there when you get on board.  Just an FYI.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

I've always been able to reserve my dining time for the following night with the maitre'd before leaving Blu. If we enjoy our wait staff the first night (which we always have) we always ask the maitre'd to schedule us with them again for the same time the following night. They've always done it for us! 

8 minutes ago, FlyingAnchor said:

I've always been able to reserve my dining time for the following night with the maitre'd before leaving Blu. If we enjoy our wait staff the first night (which we always have) we always ask the maitre'd to schedule us with them again for the same time the following night. They've always done it for us! 

Interesting!

We've been in BLU on most of the ships since it was introduced. We never have made any res as nine are taken.  ..Once we had a set time  for a special roll call dinner one evening for 10 of us who were all in AQ class...  they also have large tbls in the back that  large families/ groups usually sit at...around the same time each night

...we usually show up around the same time each night and tgey do try to keep you with a wait stsff team if at all pissibke,

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We've been in BLU on most of the ships since it was introduced. We never have made any res as nine are taken

I've had the complete opposite experience! We've sailed multiple times each on Summit and Constellation, and once on EDGE. We always reserve our table and servers for the 2nd night, following the first, etc. Either way, we enjoy Blu immensely 🙂

Has anyone else been making res in BLU? 

We are actually moving on from BLU after many yrs...menu is still okay for us,  but it is more crowded  these days...we dine early.  Trying the 4 mdr plan on EDGE and then a mix of mdr and specialty after that on Summit. 

I don’t think they are reservations in the traditional sense.  I think when advising the hostess when you plan to show up the next night helps them keep folks with the same wait staff as much as possible.  

Just got got off the Summit and one evening a lot of us showed up at about the same time.  The hostess gave everyone a beeper as they arrived and we were seated in the order we had arrived.  Our wait was 25 minutes, so our telling her the previous evening that we would be there at 8 didn’t get us a table any faster.

Stick with Blu for dinner and breakfast. Have done AQ for years, and found the Blu on Edge was the best! For a different dinner location,  opt for a specialty restaurant if you wish. We went to the Steakhouse (also very good).

Have been lucky to  avoid beepers in BLU,  but we eat dinner at 6 pm...fairly early by most standards but in line with our schedule at home.  Have always  arrived in time for a table one in from the window.....which  was not any great location on EDGE,

We   did not care for BLU  that much on EDGE...service staff could not be better and we did get a nice  group going who  generally ate around the same time at nearby tables.   We found it very noisy.  Maybe because of the curtains instead of walls but more  because it  became crowded quickly....poor acoustics.  They  supposedly counted the ourdoor seating into the calculations for BLU but never saw anyone out there... BLU had such bad views that they kept the curtains closed all the time.  It was blocked by life boat area and a window wasing staging area,,,  the kitchen was sooo slow some nights that they started opening earlier so folks could get to the show on time.  

I am sure  many adjustments have been made since January..but we are trying the 4 mdr plan next on EDGE.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, hcat said:

We found it very noisy.  Maybe because of the curtains instead of walls

BLU had such bad views that they kept the curtains closed all the time.

We also eat early every night, around 6pm, so that way we can go to Martini Bar before the late shows 🙂

I agree with your assessment of Blu on EDGE. We did not enjoy how crowded or noisy it felt, and also how noisy the walkway outside could be due to lack of separation from the space. It is beautiful, on EDGE, though. 

However, all of our previous Celebrity sailings have been on Summit and Constellation, and we truly loved how relaxing Blu is on that ship along with our tables by the windows for sunset around dinner time or views during sail away. We really missed those in Blu on EDGE. 

but we are trying the 4 mdr plan next on EDGE.

Are you booked outside of Aqua class? We had a difficult time getting reservations for any of the MDR dining rooms on our EDGE sailing. We tried eating in them a few times as some of our friends were not in Aqua class with us. Ultimately, we were only able to eat dinner in two of them. 

48 minutes ago, FlyingAnchor said:

We also eat early every night, around 6pm, so that way we can go to Martini Bar before the late shows 🙂

I agree with your assessment of Blu on EDGE. We did not enjoy how crowded or noisy it felt, and also how noisy the walkway outside could be due to lack of separation from the space. It is beautiful, on EDGE, though. 

However, all of our previous Celebrity sailings have been on Summit and Constellation, and we truly loved how relaxing Blu is on that ship along with our tables by the windows for sunset around dinner time or views during sail away. We really missed those in Blu on EDGE. 

Are you booked outside of Aqua class? We had a difficult time getting reservations for any of the MDR dining rooms on our EDGE sailing. We tried eating in them a few times as some of our friends were not in Aqua class with us. Ultimately, we were only able to eat dinner in two of them. 

We are trying a Sunset Veranda for the first time.. This will also be our  first time out of AQ class since it began.,,   We booked our res in the 4 mdrs  asap and were able to get our preferred  early time... We have 2 nights booked  in each and  1  dinner in Curacao   as part of a shore excursion.  We did have lunch in Cosmopolitan and Elite breakfast in Tuscan...enjoyed them both.    I will  do a review of our SV 4 mdr cruise, best I can  ,( not til Nov)

We found the Martini bar area quite noisy..difficult to enjoy the music.  We hung out at Cafe Baccio after dinner, and went to the theater early for cocktails and people watching...