Cruise Critic Community
vanreg

Internet Plans

When choosing one of the internet plans, it asks who it is for.  Does that mean only that person can use the plan or does it mean that only one person in your cabin can access it at a time?  

1 hour ago, vanreg said:

When choosing one of the internet plans, it asks who it is for.  Does that mean only that person can use the plan or does it mean that only one person in your cabin can access it at a time?  

That info is used to authenticate you each time you login.  Like anything else with an authentication protocol, if you choose to share your credentials with anyone else on board, they can also sign in to the internet and use your plan.  However, only one of you can be logged in and active at any one time.  You can use the internet anywhere on the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Princess Cruises.

3 hours ago, vanreg said:

I assume you are asking about when you purchase a plan pre-cruise.

If you only purchase one package, then anyone you wish can sign in to using that plan once you have on board first signed in and set up a password. You can then let others use it by giving them your sign-in information.

As you surmised, only one person can use the plan at a time.

Just now, caribill said:

If you only purchase one package, then anyone you wish can sign in to using that plan once you have on board first signed in and set up a password. You can then let others use it by giving them your sign-in information.

As you surmised, only one device can be used on the plan at a time. So you can sign in using a different  device you own or someone else with your sign-in information can sign-in on their device.

As stated above anyone can use the package that knows the logon name and password.  Only one connection at a time however.  The important issue though is to be sure you logout to stop the clock or you will lose your minutes.  The best way to logout of the ship internet is to enter logout.com in your browser.  I have had problems with the logout button on their webpage.  

Posted (edited)

You can share your Internet accws by tethering from one device to another 

Edited by antsp

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

As stated above anyone can use the package that knows the logon name and password.  Only one connection at a time however.  The important issue though is to be sure you logout to stop the clock or you will lose your minutes.  The best way to logout of the ship internet is to enter logout.com in your browser.  I have had problems with the logout button on their webpage.  

Since Princess is only selling unlimited plans now (minutes are just for the free ones Platinium.Elite get), There is no clock to stop.

You can share your internet access by tethering front one device to another 

On the Island last week, the sign-in was just the cabin number and your birthday, not a personalized password as I've had before. I wish Princess would rework the free minutes for Platinum and Elite passengers to be a discount off a package if desired, or even back to unlimited as it used to be. 

3 minutes ago, geoherb said:

On the Island last week, the sign-in was just the cabin number and your birthday, not a personalized password as I've had before. I wish Princess would rework the free minutes for Platinum and Elite passengers to be a discount off a package if desired, or even back to unlimited as it used to be. 

We DO get a discount - 25% - off the unlimited packages.  Don't hold your breath for free unlimited internet anymore.

16 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

We DO get a discount - 25% - off the unlimited packages.  Don't hold your breath for free unlimited internet anymore.

It is too bad it doesn't recognize me as being Elite for pre-purchases of internet. I went ahead and signed up for it at $129 for fear of it going up. I will check with people before sailing and may cancel it and sign up on the ship.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is too bad it doesn't recognize me as being Elite for pre-purchases of internet. I went ahead and signed up for it at $129 for fear of it going up. I will check with people before sailing and may cancel it and sign up on the ship.

Oh but it does.  Call Princess and ask if you like.  The price quoted to you in the Cruise Personalizer is 25% off what is quoted to a "newbie".  You may find a better deal on the ship on Embarkation Day.  Quite likely it seems.  If so, and if you pre-ordered, ask the Internet Manager for a rebate of the difference.  You may have seen one or two of my posts from my Regal experience this June. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Oh but it does.  Call Princess and ask if you like.  The price quoted to you in the Cruise Personalizer is 25% off what is quoted to a "newbie".  You may find a better deal on the ship on Embarkation Day.  Quite likely it seems.  If so, and if you pre-ordered, ask the Internet Manager for a rebate of the difference.  You may have seen one or two of my posts from my Regal experience this June. 

Thanks. I guess since I can't see other prices, I assumed the $129 was for everyone. I will look for your posts from the Regal.

I just tried to look on Princess's website and there are no prices anywhere so it is difficult to know.

Edited by Coral

43 minutes ago, Coral said:

It would be good to get an advance 25% discount in exchange  for our free platinum/elite minutes.  

By not making it available they get passengers paying in advance & don’t know if many passengers are aware of the option posted by steelers36 to get a 25% rebate from the Internet manager.  Also advance payment by chargecard results in not being able to use OBC to pay for it at a 25% discount on the ship.  There’s no financial incentive for Princess to modify their system to allow a 25% discount in exchange for our free minutes when paying in advance.

Although none of us know for sure if the current procedure will continue in the future.  I can currently purchase a 28 day unlimited plan for $130 or wait until boarding for a 25% discount & pay with OBC.  If not, then will use my 500 free minutes & my free cell phone texts & data in ports.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

It would be good to get an advance 25% discount in exchange  for our free platinum/elite minutes.  

By not making it available they get passengers paying in advance & don’t know if many passengers are aware of the option posted by steelers36 to get a 25% rebate from the Internet manager.  Also advance payment by chargecard results in not being able to use OBC to pay for it at a 25% discount on the ship.  There’s no financial incentive for Princess to modify their system to allow a 25% discount in exchange for our free minutes when paying in advance.

Although none of us know for sure if the current procedure will continue in the future.  I can currently purchase a 28 day unlimited plan for $130 or wait until boarding for a 25% discount & pay with OBC.  If not, then will use my 500 free minutes & my free cell phone texts & data in ports.

My OBC is being used for tours so I don't have additional OBC to spare. This is for an October cruise so there are no promos with it but it is half as much as if I had booked it during the promos.

So the main question - is the $129 price I see for 15-29 day cruises the same price I would get as an Elite on the first day?

I blew through my Elite minutes last year on the Sapphire very quickly as internet was horrible. I would rather just have unlimited and not have to watch my minutes.

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Coral said:

My OBC is being used for tours so I don't have additional OBC to spare. This is for an October cruise so there are no promos with it but it is half as much as if I had booked it during the promos.

So the main question - is the $129 price I see for 15-29 day cruises the same price I would get as an Elite on the first day?

I blew through my Elite minutes last year on the Sapphire very quickly as internet was horrible. I would rather just have unlimited and not have to watch my minutes.

If like my experience you’d get a 25% discount off the $129 advance price during the first 24 hours in exchange for your free minutes.

My experience on the Royal in May for a 14 day plan was anyone could purchase it in advance for $120 & within the first 24 hours onboard could exchange our free minutes for a 25% discount to pay $90.

Past experiences are no guarantee that Princess won’t change their price structure.  Maybe keeping your prepaid plan & checking for a rebate onboard might be your best option?

Edited by Astro Flyer

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

If like my experience you’d get a 25% discount off the $129 advance price during the first 24 hours in exchange for your free minutes.

My experience on the Royal in May for a 14 day plan was anyone could purchase it in advance for $120 & within the first 24 hours onboard could exchange our free minutes for a 25% discount to pay $90.

Past experiences are no guarantee that Princess won’t change their price structure.  Maybe keeping your prepaid plan & checking for a rebate onboard might be your best option?

Steelers is saying my amount is already discounted and my cruise is longer than 14 nights? It made it look like it was a set amount for 15-29 days.

I think I will do what you suggest and raise hell if there is a cheaper price onboard. Even though I am Elite, I have paid additional $$$ for slow internet for most of my cruises.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Coral said:

Steelers is saying my amount is already discounted and my cruise is longer than 14 nights? It made it look like it was a set amount for 15-29 days.

I think I will do what you suggest and raise hell if there is a cheaper price onboard. Even though I am Elite, I have paid additional $$$ for slow internet for most of my cruises.

The pre-purchased $120 was promoted as a 25% discount that was available to anyone.  Onboard I could get an additional 25% discount ($90) in lieu of my free minutes.  It worked best for me to use my free minutes on that cruise.

7756F3DB-3DFC-4DBC-8388-E328413EDC39.png

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 7/3/2019 at 11:59 PM, caribill said:

As you surmised, only one person can use the plan at a time.

We just pre-booked a "4 device" plan on the Crown, which will offer Medallion Net starting July 12th, as we are traveling with our son and his family and it was much cheaper to purchase the $186 unlimited plan for 4 devices rather than 4 individual unlimited plans at $74.95 each for our 12 day cruise. We figure we'll setup the account and just give them the access information.

Astro and Coral. .. obviously I cannot say 100% all ships and cruises work the same.  But for our Regal cruise (Medallion Net), the pre-cruise offer was already discounted 25% in my Personalizer while "regular" cruisers had a higher price in their Personalizer ($100 for them and $75 for me).  I did not need to get a 25% credit from the Internet Manager.  Not for the full amount.

Day One pricing on board was $90 regular ($10 less than pre-cruise) and $67.50 for me ($7.50 less than pre-cruise).  I received $7.50 credit to shipboard account.

In future... i  will just book it on board.  If I have spare OBC, great.  If I don't it still ends up on the credit card.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Astro and Coral. .. obviously I cannot say 100% all ships and cruises work the same.  

Based on our different experiences on the Regal & Royal, they are trying different marketing strategies to determine what is most profitable.  I’m confident they’re continuing to evaluate their plans & that’s why I’ve written that things may continue to change...past experiences are no guarantees of future experiences.

Their description for plans on my Sky cruise is worded differently than on the Royal but are still similarly priced.

In this screenshot for my 28 day cruise it states “as low as $9.99/day and save over 50%”.  Based on their description the plan would cost $280 but I could purchase it for $130.  Hopefully these plans will eventually have a standardized pricing fleetwide however based on our different experiences that hasn’t happened yet as pricing continues to evolve.

A84F6CCC-F3EA-487C-B02E-AD94FB43E78B.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer