Cruise Critic Community
edgekid

Eclipse November 11th 2019 California coast

Posted (edited)

We are planning a hop-on hop-off tour in San Francisco but as of now have no other plans for the other ports in California.. any ideas? Can anyone recommend any private tour companies? Really not interested in ship excursions.. thanks a lot

Edited by edgekid

What are the ports? 

What do you like to do?  Do you want to shop, or hike, or ride bikes, or go to museums, or visit art galleries, or canoe, or birdwatch, or take photographs or visit churches or what? 

It would help if you would tell us a little bit about yourselves. There’s no sense in us recommending a children’s museum if you don’t have family with you. There’s no sense recommending  a winery tour if you don’t drink wine.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your replies..basically we're interested in seeing the major tour attractions in each city; San Diego, other than the zoo, Monterey and Santa Barbara..No real preferences on types of places..we are from Long Island New York so if we had to eliminate something it would be winery tours as well as hiking.

Thanks for your help..

Edited by edgekid

We've done the California itinerary several times and it's still one of my favourites.  I can tell you what we did.  Maybe it will be of interest to you.  We do tend to walk a lot so it might be too "walky" for you.  :)

In San Francisco we did the Alcatraz tour at night.  It was fabulous (and I normally hate that kind of stuff).  You have to book tickets ahead of time as they sell out.  We've also done the HOHO tour and last time we did The Real SF tour.  They have several tours but it was a whole day of walking around the city, taking the BART and the trolleys and basically seeing everything on foot.  It was a long day but really good.

In San Diego we took the HOHO trolley.  We skipped the zoo and we wished we had more time in Balboa Park, but it was a great way to see everything.  

In Monterey we walked along the waterfront to the Cannery district.  It's got some cute shops and an aquarium (we didn't do the aquarium).  Then we walked back.  There is a historic park right by the pier.  It's a collection of old buildings like the original post office and stuff like that.  You can Google Monterey Historic Park if you want to see what it's all about.  You just basically wander from building to building.  It's free.  

We did the HOHO tour in Santa Barbara.  It hits all the major attractions.  We've also just wandered around town on our own.  We went to Norton's deli a couple of times.  It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  But we enjoy the food and the vibe.  It's a tiny place but really good food.

I don't know if you are going to Catalina as well.  It's a nice place to just walk around.  We did a food tour last time and it was a lot of fun.

Join us on the Roll Call, there have been lots of suggestions offered by others who are on the cruise with you.  

11 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

We've done the California itinerary several times and it's still one of my favourites.  I can tell you what we did.  Maybe it will be of interest to you.  We do tend to walk a lot so it might be too "walky" for you.  🙂

In San Francisco we did the Alcatraz tour at night.  It was fabulous (and I normally hate that kind of stuff).  You have to book tickets ahead of time as they sell out.  We've also done the HOHO tour and last time we did The Real SF tour.  They have several tours but it was a whole day of walking around the city, taking the BART and the trolleys and basically seeing everything on foot.  It was a long day but really good.

In San Diego we took the HOHO trolley.  We skipped the zoo and we wished we had more time in Balboa Park, but it was a great way to see everything.  

In Monterey we walked along the waterfront to the Cannery district.  It's got some cute shops and an aquarium (we didn't do the aquarium).  Then we walked back.  There is a historic park right by the pier.  It's a collection of old buildings like the original post office and stuff like that.  You can Google Monterey Historic Park if you want to see what it's all about.  You just basically wander from building to building.  It's free.  

We did the HOHO tour in Santa Barbara.  It hits all the major attractions.  We've also just wandered around town on our own.  We went to Norton's deli a couple of times.  It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  But we enjoy the food and the vibe.  It's a tiny place but really good food.

I don't know if you are going to Catalina as well.  It's a nice place to just walk around.  We did a food tour last time and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks so much for your reply a lot of great ideas, appreciate it 

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Join us on the Roll Call, there have been lots of suggestions offered by others who are on the cruise with you.  

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Looks like you go to San Diego during your nine days.  We did a relocation this spring and I really enjoyed the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum there.  I spent three hours and could have easily spent another three or more.  There are lots of WWII and later planes and helicopters, either on the flight deck or on the hanger deck.  Many more exhibits and places on the ship to see.  It is an easy walk from where your ship will dock.  It is equipped with an elevator, but to see some of the best parts, you must be able to navigate stairs (which are somewhere between a ladder and stairs.)  With your ticket in, you get a speaker which tells you about different places when you are there. Ticket prices at the booth are $23 adult, $20 senior, and 

$10 veteran.  We are on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks to Alaska.  Enjoy your cruise.  

Edited by earlydiner

In San Diego the ship will dock right between the Midway Museum and the Maritime Museum (historic ships).  We have been to both numerous times, and you can easily spend the day at on the Midway.

In San Francisco folks can easily walk to a number of tourist attractions, including the Maritime Museum.

In Monterey the Monterey Aquarium is about a twenty to fifteen minute walk, and is one of the best aquariums in the country (if not the world).  The kelp bed is incredible.  Check their website for feeding schedules and special programs.

7 hours ago, earlydiner said:

Looks like you go to San Diego during your nine days.  We did a relocation this spring and I really enjoyed the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum there.  I spent three hours and could have easily spent another three or more.  There are lots of WWII and later planes and helicopters, either on the flight deck or on the hanger deck.  Many more exhibits and places on the ship to see.  It is an easy walk from where your ship will dock.  It is equipped with an elevator, but to see some of the best parts, you must be able to navigate stairs (which are somewhere between a ladder and stairs.)  With your ticket in, you get a speaker which tells you about different places when you are there. Ticket prices at the booth are $23 adult, $20 senior, and 

$10 veteran.  We are on the Eclipse in a couple of weeks to Alaska.  Enjoy your cruise.  

Thanks for your input..Enjoy Alaska..We will probably be going there soon. 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:28 AM, edgekid said:

Thanks for your replies..basically we're interested in seeing the major tour attractions in each city; San Diego, other than the zoo, Monterey and Santa Barbara..No real preferences on types of places..we are from Long Island New York so if we had to eliminate something it would be winery tours as well as hiking.

Thanks for your help..

If you're interested in military history there are aircraft carrier museums in both San Francisco (Alameda, actually) and San Diego (right next to the cruise ship dock).  

I agree on Balboa Park for San Diego, lots of interesting museums.

In Santa Barbara, you can walk to most of the main town.  Worthwhile.  You can do the HOHO but be advised that the ship books up many of the trolleys, so getting on in the first place, let alone at the stops can be difficult.  Depends how crowded the town is that day.  The first time we tried it, we booked tickets ahead of time, waited for the first trolley to come by, and were one of the lucky ones who were able to board (many were left behind waiting at least 1/2 hour for the next one as it was so crowded).  

In Monterey, we usually walk to the Aquarium (EXCELLENT!!) and Cannery Row.  Our first visit, we rented a car and did the 17 mile drive and stopped at Pebble Beach, then did Carmel.   Also a great alternative.  

In San Diego, besides the zoo we love to walk around Old Town.  Alternatively, you can just walk along the waterfront, go down to that little shopping plaza whose name escapes me, and/or do the museum.  You can also rent a car (or taxi/Uber) to Balboa Park where there are multiple museums and a great Japanese garden.  So much to see and do in San Diego. 

California coastals are some of my very favorite cruises!  Unfortunately on our last one, we had to skip Monterey as the seas were too rough to tender in.  It happens, be advised.  One other time (we have done 4 or 5) they had to temporarily stop tendering as the seas were so rough, so many people waited a LONG time to get back onboard.  On our tender, the seas were rocking so bad the rope connecting to the ship snapped in the middle of disembarkation.  Luckily we were already back on the ship.  The poor souls who were still onboard bounced around in awful waves for 45 minutes before they were able to board the ship.  I would have been green!  Just something to keep in mind for this port - but plan away - in all likelihood you will be fine and Monterey is a wonderful port to explore!

28 minutes ago, Pamster said:

If you're interested in military history there are aircraft carrier museums in both San Francisco (Alameda, actually) and San Diego (right next to the cruise ship dock).  

I agree on Balboa Park for San Diego, lots of interesting museums.

Appreciate your help.. thanks

19 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

In Santa Barbara, you can walk to most of the main town.  Worthwhile.  You can do the HOHO but be advised that the ship books up many of the trolleys, so getting on in the first place, let alone at the stops can be difficult.  Depends how crowded the town is that day.  The first time we tried it, we booked tickets ahead of time, waited for the first trolley to come by, and were one of the lucky ones who were able to board (many were left behind waiting at least 1/2 hour for the next one as it was so crowded).  

In Monterey, we usually walk to the Aquarium (EXCELLENT!!) and Cannery Row.  Our first visit, we rented a car and did the 17 mile drive and stopped at Pebble Beach, then did Carmel.   Also a great alternative.  

In San Diego, besides the zoo we love to walk around Old Town.  Alternatively, you can just walk along the waterfront, go down to that little shopping plaza whose name escapes me, and/or do the museum.  You can also rent a car (or taxi/Uber) to Balboa Park where there are multiple museums and a great Japanese garden.  So much to see and do in San Diego. 

California coastals are some of my very favorite cruises!  Unfortunately on our last one, we had to skip Monterey as the seas were too rough to tender in.  It happens, be advised.  One other time (we have done 4 or 5) they had to temporarily stop tendering as the seas were so rough, so many people waited a LONG time to get back onboard.  On our tender, the seas were rocking so bad the rope connecting to the ship snapped in the middle of disembarkation.  Luckily we were already back on the ship.  The poor souls who were still onboard bounced around in awful waves for 45 minutes before they were able to board the ship.  I would have been green!  Just something to keep in mind for this port - but plan away - in all likelihood you will be fine and Monterey is a wonderful port to explore!

Thanks a lot for all the great ideas

It stops at Fisherman’s Wharf - plenty of restaurants and shopping 

1 hour ago, aml3679 said:

It stops at Fisherman’s Wharf - plenty of restaurants and shopping 

Cool.. thanks