Carnival Wide new standard is acoming now

AAAAmerican

9 hours ago, tattoos said:

We sailed on the Magic in May and experienced butter withdrawal, ha!  Whatever Carnival is now serving does not even come close to looking and tasting like butter, it is terrible.  In the buffet area, there is a crock of bogus butter on each side of the buffet with a crock of knives and an empty crock next to it.  You are supposed to choose a knife, dig into the crock and put the whipped whatever it is, onto your plate then deposit your dirty knife in the empty crock.  People were digging into the crock, buttering their toast, bread, baked potatos and putting the dirty knife back into the crock of fake butter.  Some cruisers took the whole crock and put it on their table and all family members dipped into the crock and either they put the crock back on the buffet or left it on the table, talk about cross contamination.  There were no crock police anywhere in sight.

On my last cruise a week ago Carnival had the same set up.  They had butter knives in a container, a crock of butter, and an empty crock for people to put their used butter knife in after getting butter.  I saw nobody doing it this way.  The crock of butter had butter all of the way up to the top.  I saw one person try to get butter, got some on his hands, wiped his hands on his shorts, and then tried again.  That means his hands contaminated the butter at the top of the crock.  I decided that I didn't need butter that badly. I always wash my hands after handling public utensils, but that does no good if I get butter out of a public container where people's hands have touched the butter.

Also, butter is not like the other items in the buffet where you can use the utensil and drop it on to your plate.  You have to actually scrape it on something.  Anyway, I will just go without eating their butter.  It's a terrible way to serve it.  They served the cream cheese in individual small dishes, so they can easily do the same thing with the butter.

As for the sugar straws, I am ok with it but it would be better if they took more than 45 minutes to dissolve.  I really don't want to add more sugar to my drink.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

On my last cruise a week ago Carnival had the same set up.  They had butter knives in a container, a crock of butter, and an empty crock for people to put their used butter knife in after getting butter.  I saw nobody doing it this way.  The crock of butter had butter all of the way up to the top.  I saw one person try to get butter, got some on his hands, wiped his hands on his shorts, and then tried again.  That means his hands contaminated the butter at the top of the crock.  I decided that I didn't need butter that badly. I always wash my hands after handling public utensils, but that does no good if I get butter out of a public container where people's hands have touched the butter.

Also, butter is not like the other items in the buffet where you can use the utensil and drop it on to your plate.  You have to actually scrape it on something.  Anyway, I will just go without eating their butter.  It's a terrible way to serve it.  They served the cream cheese in individual small dishes, so they can easily do the same thing with the butter.

As for the sugar straws, I am ok with it but it would be better if they took more than 45 minutes to dissolve.  I really don't want to add more sugar to my drink.

It has been done (the way butter is now put out) with other condiments forever, you can embrace it or reject it, seems you have made your choice.  

• Like 1

Perhaps if there is enough uproar Carnival will decide to have kitchen staff pipe little swirls of butter on to large sheet so people can grab and go , hopefully without contaminating.  Although they would have to keep the butter cold for the pats to stay together enough to grab and that is a lot of extra work.

As for straws, I just bought paper straws with built in umbrellas at the Dollar Tree.  If I need a straw for a fancy drink I will use that.  If it is soda, I will put in my tervis tumbler with my own tervis straw.  The sugar based straws hold no appeal to me.

48 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It has been done (the way butter is now put out) with other condiments forever, you can embrace it or reject it, seems you have made your choice.  

I'm not sure about the mustard, but the ketchup, A1 sauce and salad dressings are all in containers.  The liquid condiments at Guy's are in dispensers.  I don't know of any other spreadable condiment that requires a person to reach their hand into a crock to get it and then scrape it onto their plate.  People have to reach their hand into a crock that is similar to a cup.  There is butter all over the inside and top of the crock, so it does get on people's hands.  I'm not telling Carnival how to do anything, just saying that my perception is that it's a crock full of contamination and I choose to simply go without butter.  Less calories, so that's fine.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

I don't mind having a communal container of butter but I agree that the current crock isn't a good design. I think it would be better to have it be wider and shallower rather than narrower and taller like it is now. I observed the same thing several others have in that people get butter on their hands when the crock is less than half full. I think a different design of crock would be much better. But I really like the idea of piping butter into individual portions. That fixes everything.

18 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'm not sure about the mustard, but the ketchup, A1 sauce and salad dressings are all in containers.  The liquid condiments at Guy's are in dispensers.  I don't know of any other spreadable condiment that requires a person to reach their hand into a crock to get it and then scrape it onto their plate.  People have to reach their hand into a crock that is similar to a cup.  There is butter all over the inside and top of the crock, so it does get on people's hands.  I'm not telling Carnival how to do anything, just saying that my perception is that it's a crock full of contamination and I choose to simply go without butter.  Less calories, so that's fine.

I will not belabor the point beyond here, but what I was referring to was the breakfast buffet on lido.  Jelly and peanut butter have been offered in exactly the same way.  As the MDR goes, when we first had the delivery this way, I think it individually was offered.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChosenOne said:

Perhaps if there is enough uproar Carnival will decide to have kitchen staff pipe little swirls of butter on to large sheet so people can grab and go , hopefully without contaminating.  Although they would have to keep the butter cold for the pats to stay together enough to grab and that is a lot of extra work.

As for straws, I just bought paper straws with built in umbrellas at the Dollar Tree.  If I need a straw for a fancy drink I will use that.  If it is soda, I will put in my tervis tumbler with my own tervis straw.  The sugar based straws hold no appeal to me.

Your soda won’t have a straw. 

4 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Yeah, but it'll still melt, unless its fake butter...😎

butter does not need to be refrigerated, for 3 weeks. We leave our butter in a butter container on the kitchen counter. The butter is always soft for spreading.

• Like 3

I know soda won't come with a straw......I meant to indicate that I usually pour my soda or iced tea into my own personal Tervis tumbler which has a large matching plastic  tervis straw....so I have my own germs on my own straw  anyway.    If pop is cold in the can I will drink from the can if I have to.  I drink iced tea or lemonade or water on the Lido deck without use of a straw so I don't see why everyone is so crazy about no straws in drinks (except for frozen drinks of course)  Everyone will adjust in their own way.

20 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

A new sipping standard is acoming now to Carnival fleet wide.

Sugar Straws.

They are geting rid of the plastic straws and coming now the sugar straws which do disolve in about 45 minutes once in the beverage.

I do not know if they may have sugarlessones.

The Butter is a a fiasco aboard the ships now. As so may are poutting the flatware in the cButter Crocks with jams etc.. on them which contaminates all the Crock full of Butter..

Bring your own straws, if needed. Canned butter, if you feel the need. Catastrophe averted.

What are we going to do about the bed sheets and pillows. Who knows what has been going on with those things.  I guess we could all just bring our own.  Not sure if I can fit a toilet seat in my carryon, but it might be worth looking into as well.

Lets talk about the food in "fine dining restaurants" or any restaurant.  Honestly, what you believe to happen in the kitchen and the reality of what actually happens in the kitchen are far apart.  Just because you believe a fine restaurant wouldnt do something, doesnt make it real. They still have the same cost saving measures in place, and if you dont think they cut corners here and there, you are fooling yourself.

Just read your local Health Department ratings, or watch some of the TV shows where they rehab a restaurant.

The whole straw thing is a feel good measure.  People still eat sea turtles in a number of locations around the world.  Maybe the real idea behind the straws is to make food more readily available for these places?  Creating a food source for people who may otherwise have issues getting food on a regular basis is a noble cause.  That I can support.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

The spread served in MDR is butter. It's just whipped so it's spreadable.

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

^^^^^ This.

Yeah, I've never understood the people who just can't understand that whipped butter is actually butter. Sure, the texture is a little different, but it is still actual butter.

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will not belabor the point beyond here, but what I was referring to was the breakfast buffet on lido.  Jelly and peanut butter have been offered in exactly the same way.  As the MDR goes, when we first had the delivery this way, I think it individually was offered.   

Exactly. Buttergate is much ago about nothing. People just get so twisted up whenever something changes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Haveuseen1 said:

What are we going to do about the bed sheets and pillows. Who knows what has been going on with those things.  I guess we could all just bring our own.  Not sure if I can fit a toilet seat in my carryon, but it might be worth looking into as well.

I realize you're just being facetious, but I'll bite anyway. Linens are washed and changed between cruises. Sometimes even during a cruise, if necessary. No one is sharing what the previous person(s) did with them, unlike community butter buckets. Toilet seats are cleaned every day. If there's anything on it, you/I/we put it there. Those community butter containers are not cleaned every time someone reaches their hand in one or doesn't follow the rules by using a fresh butter knife to scoop some. Big difference.

Lets talk about the food in "fine dining restaurants" or any restaurant.  Honestly, what you believe to happen in the kitchen and the reality of what actually happens in the kitchen are far apart.  Just because you believe a fine restaurant wouldnt do something, doesnt make it real. They still have the same cost saving measures in place, and if you dont think they cut corners here and there, you are fooling yourself.

Just read your local Health Department ratings, or watch some of the TV shows where they rehab a restaurant.

I guess since Carnival's ships fly (mostly) under the Panamanian flag, they avoid having to regularly abide by U.S. Health Dept. regulations. Yes, they're subject to health inspections by the CDC, but I don't know how often those inspections occur. I find it hard to believe that any reputable health agency anywhere would think it's a good idea to let hundreds of people scoop butter out of a single container. Carnival can put all the rules in place that they want about using a fresh knife every time...there are going to be countless instances when many people don't follow those rules.

The whole straw thing is a feel good measure.

That I do agree with you on. The items they chose to eliminate were more of a PR move than anything. I don't think it was a coincidence that they announced the policy immediately following their court decision regarding illegal dumping. "Never mind all those environmental violations...look here, we're saving the environment by ridding our ships of straws and butter pats."

My replies are in red, just to make it a little simpler.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Exactly. Buttergate is much ago about nothing. People just get so twisted up whenever something changes.

"Much ado about nothing" to some of you, maybe, but it's significant to others. Some people will never utter a single negative word about Carnival and obviously don't appreciate it when others do. I enjoy the overall product that Carnival has to offer, but being a Carnival customer doesn't mean we're forced to wear rose colored glasses. We have every right to voice our opinions when they do something wrong.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:29 PM, FSHLOT said:

I wonder if they will have sugar-free straws for diabetics? 

Sugar + straw =  yuk😀

Would a diabetic drink milkshakes and the thick fruity drinks? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, coevan said:

it's not the only drinks you need a straw for. Many of my customers ask for a straw with a glass of water or a diet coke.

Carnival is only using the “sugar based” straws for milkshakes and thick fruity drinks. 

4 hours ago, SouthernIllnoiscruisers said:

My only problem with the sugar straws are that they have said they are lime flavored.  Not everyone likes lime flavoring and it does not go with every flavor.  

Lime edible straws are for the frozen drinks only. Milkshakes will have chocolate and strawberry flavored.