Carnival Wide new standard is acoming now

AAAAmerican

On 7/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, AAAAmerican said:

A new sipping standard is acoming now to Carnival fleet wide.

Sugar Straws.

They are geting rid of the plastic straws and coming now the sugar straws which do disolve in about 45 minutes once in the beverage.

I do not know if they may have sugarlessones.

The Butter is a a fiasco aboard the ships now. As so may are poutting the flatware in the cButter Crocks with jams etc.. on them which contaminates all the Crock full of Butter..

Yup, we should blame that on the knives and the butter crock, not on the people that are causing the problem. Maybe we have to go back to tinfoil packets that are frozen and cause equipment problems in the galley.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

6 minutes ago, Sparky2 said:

Then why doesn't it melt on a steaming, hot baked potato?

It did on mine except when the potato was only luke warm. 

Edited by RRLLAL
  • Like 3

On 7/4/2019 at 7:03 PM, jimbo5544 said:

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds....no pun intended.  Has not peanut butter been available this way on lido for years?

And the guava jelly, etc... not to mention those big stainless steel trays of food that hold chicken, rice, eggs, potatoes, lettuce, among a hundred other things.....

• Like 3

On 7/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, patrice1 said:

Always bring our own stainless straws.  Plastic is truly killing the oceans . The rest is just nonsense.

There are international maritime laws in place to ensure that cruise lines aren't dumping plastics into the oceans. But as we learned, there were Carnival ships that were ignoring those laws. I don't blame the straws. If Carnival had been doing what it was supposed to be doing according to laws & regulations, having plastic straws on board wouldn't matter.

And by the way, the rest may be "nonsense" to you, but not to everyone.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

There are international maritime laws in place to ensure that cruise lines aren't dumping plastics into the oceans. But as we learned, there were Carnival ships that were ignoring those laws. I don't blame the straws. If Carnival had been doing what it was supposed to be doing according to laws & regulations, having plastic straws on board wouldn't matter.

My "nonsense"  comment was referring to the butter discussion. The state of our planet is of much concern to me, which is why I have my own stainless straws, among other efforts to reduce my footprint.

Edited by patrice1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, patrice1 said:

My "nonsense"  comment was referring to the butter discussion. The state of our planet is of much concern to me, which is why I have my own stainless straws, among other efforts to reduce my footprint.

And I still stand behind my statement. Certain issues, like butter, may be "nonsense" to you, but they aren't to others. There have been multiple people on this forum who witnessed others not following the rules when it comes to the shared community butter containers, which leads to unsanitary practices. All it takes is one person to get a lot of people sick. It's disgusting. So just because you think it's nonsense, that doesn't mean others are wrong to feel the way they do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, Organized Chaos said:

If carnival had been doing what they were supposed to straws wouldn’t matter? Why has every other line been getting rid of plastic straws, some before carnival did? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

If carnival had been doing what they were supposed to straws wouldn’t matter? Why has every other line been getting rid of plastic straws, some before carnival did? 

I firmly believe it wasn't a coincidence that Carnival released their statement about eliminating certain items immediately following the judge's decision to accept the deal made with federal prosecutors. Carnival had been illegally dumping waste, to include plastics, in the ocean for over 10 years (that we know of). They had even been doing it while on probation FOR ILLEGAL DUMPING. "But never mind that, folks, look over here...we're getting rid of straws and individual butter because we take care of our oceans!!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of the product Carnival offers and we'll still continue to sail with them, but that doesn't mean I think they can do no wrong, nor does it mean I'll turn a blind eye if they do.

Edited by Organized Chaos

47 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I firmly believe it wasn't a coincidence that Carnival released their statement about eliminating certain items immediately following the judge's decision to accept the deal made with federal prosecutors. Carnival had been illegally dumping waste, to include plastics, in the ocean for over 10 years (that we know of). They had even been doing it while on probation FOR ILLEGAL DUMPING. "But never mind that, folks, look over here...we're getting rid of straws and individual butter because we take care of our oceans!!"

What cruise line hasn't violated environmental standards? Occasionally Carnival is a pioneer and/or trend setter. Look for other polluters to follow.

Anyone that concerned about the environment wouldn't be cruising in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan of the product Carnival offers and we'll still continue to sail with them, but that doesn't mean I think they can do no wrong, nor does it mean I'll turn a blind eye if they do.

I know all about the legal issue. That wasn't my question. What you’re saying is that even though every line is getting rid of plastic straws you don’t think carnival would have if not for the legal issue?

Whatever happened to biodegradable paper straws?  Maybe they're too expensive?

That whipped concoction that Carnival calls "whipped butter" tastes like unsalted butter that is whipped to add air into it so it will go further...I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they also put oil in it.  We added salt to the whipped butter on our table in the MDR and it still tasted awful.  

7 hours ago, tattoos said:

Whatever happened to biodegradable paper straws?  Maybe they're too expensive?

That whipped concoction that Carnival calls "whipped butter" tastes like unsalted butter that is whipped to add air into it so it will go further...I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they also put oil in it.  We added salt to the whipped butter on our table in the MDR and it still tasted awful.  

Yeah....they are moving to gruel and slop......anything to cut and make the experience cheaper....really?

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 4:32 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I guess since Carnival's ships fly (mostly) under the Panamanian flag, they avoid having to regularly abide by U.S. Health Dept. regulations. Yes, they're subject to health inspections by the CDC, but I don't know how often those inspections occur. I find it hard to believe that any reputable health agency anywhere would think it's a good idea to let hundreds of people scoop butter out of a single container. Carnival can put all the rules in place that they want about using a fresh knife every time...there are going to be countless instances when many people don't follow those rules.

Health inspections occur every 6 months on cruise ships.  It won't be exactly every 6 months but a general time frame.

I am not sure how long Carnival has been using the butter crocks, but if it has been more than 6 months, then more likely it passes.  If not we will see in the next few months.  If they disappear then it didn't.  My gut is that it does pass.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:02 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The elimination of plastic straws (replaced with sugar straws), along with other items being eliminated, was announced about a month ago.

Putting butter into community containers to be used by that many people is absolutely disgusting. Someone scoops out butter with their silverware...how do we know where that silverware has been? I can't believe they think that's sanitary. There are alternatives to single-serve butter packets other than the small plastic containers.

You cannot think anything on a buffet is sanitary. Caution on the part of the user. On land or sea.

• Like 1