Earliest Flight From Redhook

Tedferg

We will fly home, to West Coast, from New York on Oct 5 after New England / Canada cruise after arriving at Redhook at 7:00 am .

What is the earliest flight we could take and does it make a difference if we choose Laguardia or Newark ?

3 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We will fly home, to West Coast, from New York on Oct 5 after New England / Canada cruise after arriving at Redhook at 7:00 am .

What is the earliest flight we could take and does it make a difference if we choose Laguardia or Newark ?

I would say 12:00/La Guardia.

We always do a car service and walk off with our luggage in one of the first groups.

The taxi lines can get brutal.

Disembarking Guests

Domestic 

• LaGuardia International (LGA) -  Flights should depart no earlier than 6 hours after ship's arrival
  • John F. Kennedy International (JFK) - Flights should depart no earlier than 7 hours after ship's arrival
  • Newark International (EWR) - Flights should depart no earlier than 7 hours after ship's arrival

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks for replies, if there was somewhere to store our luggage we could do some sightseeing and take a nonstop from EWR at 7:00 in the evening.

Schwartz Travel in the west 30’s in MAnhattan - www.schwartztravel.com for luggage storage. Must leave NY by 4-4:30. Options are car service, NJ Transit train, or Airport bus. Schwartz is close to both train and bus options, but you can also have a car service pick you up there. 

15 hours ago, 138east said:

Schwartz Travel in the west 30’s in MAnhattan - www.schwartztravel.com for luggage storage. Must leave NY by 4-4:30. Options are car service, NJ Transit train, or Airport bus. Schwartz is close to both train and bus options, but you can also have a car service pick you up there. 

Thank you - we are now looking at a 3:49 departure from Laguardia - Princess suggests 1:00 as earliest time for return flight. Seems like a long time with 7:00 arrival. However they also suggest 1.15 Hours as drive time to LGA, so I suppose by the time we clear the ship, collect luggage, and allow time for TSA at airport we will not have much time to spare.

@Tedferg  It appeared that you disembark from your Canada/NE cruise on a Saturday, where traffic should be reasonable - probably 45 minutes on average to get to LGA, but depending on your airline terminal, possibly another 15+ minutes to be curbside for dropoff (no free shuttles from a remote lot necessary for departure ... true for taxi, car service, buses & private cars, etc.) If ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am - and, CBP already cleared all pax from its previous port stop (USA) then disembark can be quick ... we did Canada/NE recently but after Bar Harbor, Portland & Newport - still had to do passport check & customs upon arrival in NYC, slowed everyone down.  

TSA wait time & Pre-Check lines do not look bad - lately - on weekends (fingers crossed) and once you dropped bags off, you are explore & make use of free airport WiFi, checkout the new shops & concessions ...  LGA has nicely expanded both landside & airside, so it's not bad to hangout for a few hours - depending on your choice of airline (or, if you have club/lounge access ... or consider a day pass)

Taxi availability varied per reports by others using Red Hook - have Carmel and Dial 7 (we recommend these 2) phone # available and/or use their free App to book & reconfirm advance booking - ship will pickup a good land-based cellular signal at least 30 to 45 minutes before docking, probably at least 2 hours you can step off the gangway ... plenty of time to book a last minute ride to LGA.  There is no toll on this route, fare & tips should come to about $50 to $60 at most vs. easily doubled $$ for going to EWR, a longer ride & several tolls with 2 river/bridge/tunnel crossings to NJ.  

** Non-stop flight is probably not an option from EWR, I assumed.

Edited by mking8288

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you mking8288 - I have been off the air for a week and just saw your informative reply. Initially we thought to stay in NYC after the cruise but since we are departing directly on return, the non-stop from EWR does not fit in.

I did a quick comparison and Dial 7 seems a lot more expensive than Carmel. However, on another thread one person said Carmel are awfull ????

@Tedferg  - Carmel & Dial 7 are the 2 largest car services licensed & fully insured in the metro NY area, each with a fleet of hundreds (600+) of assorted vehicles & drivers, and their own garage/fuel depots & staging areas near the airports for computerized dispatch - we've been using Carmel for 12+ years to/from airports & cruises, a little biased but I will score them 9 out of 10, not perfect but very good, frugal & fair prices ... also get my airline miles as a bonus.  Dial 7 is comparatively priced a little higher, usually by a few bucks higher for the typical $40 to $60 sedan/minivan vs. Carmel - they also reserved the option for congestion/surge pricing, not a happy camper with being surprised - thus, we've stayed with Carmel.  I do check quotes when we plan ahead, just to not get shocked - along with Uber/Lyft (from our residence, NE of LGA & across Runway 31) that really don't save us much.  

Odds are that someone else will rate Dial 7 as bad or poor - it's like those Yelp or TripAdvisor ratings, always read them carefully & filter out the extremes (I post too) - won't surprise me (or anyone) that competitors would bad mouth or submit negative reviews.  Other regulars here on this Forum will probably concur, that we seldom get truly horrible reviews or feedback from someone using either services - and, the regulatory folks (NYC TLC) take complaints very seriously & known to aggressively catch & ticket drivers trying to make a fair living.  Can't decide - do a coin toss but IMHO, shouldn't go wrong with either one.

BTW, the only time that DW bitched about Carmel not showing up & cancelling was that we disembarked on the morning of the annual NYC Marathon in 2017, needless to say, many drivers simply did not wanted to sit behind the wheels ... I knew the odds of happening but we booked the cruise, knowingly.  Yellow taxi on a long loop got us home & paid about $20 more ... that could've been Dial 7 too. 

Happy planning for the cruise & have a great one !

mking 

I did mock bookings on each service. Four passengers, six luggage:

--------------------------------------- Carmel-------------Dial 7

LGA to WTC Hotel     MinV $59           SUV $140 

Hotel to Terminal      MiniV $59          SUV $125

Pier to LGA                 MiniV $55          SUV $150

I asked Dial 7 about their rate chart that show 6 Pass LGA - Manhattan at $59 and he said they were starting rates, an actual booking would show correct price.

@Tedferg - Wow, I haven't check Dial 7 lately but that's crazy high, absurd.   First, all trips to/from Manhattan south of 96th Street now has another congestion surcharge of $2.50 or $2.75 & factored into all quoted rates.  

Otherwise, Carmel's rate from LGA to WTC area hotels look about right (I'm about 3 miles - driving distance - NE of LGA and it's computed on mileage/time/distance, a fair price at $59, plus toll of $9.50 & tips ~ 20% of base fare) with a minivan (Honda or Toyota 7 pax)  

WTC hotel to Brooklyn Red Hook pier - is a shorter trip but still not too bad.  Probably do better with Uber XL/T (Suburb 7 pax might be short on luggage to fit it all & 3rd row seats not the most comfortable for full-sized adults, even of average height) on quoted prices - but, surge/congestion can be "got'cha" surprise.  

From Red Hook / Brooklyn pier to LGA - probably about right, maybe 1/2 click or notch higher - but I would pay that quote.  

Dial 7 rates - totally way out of line, even if they factored in surge & congestion surcharges, PM & rush hour rates, etc. etc. - I wouldn't give them my business.   

Shop & do a mock booking with both of them, the quote is confirmed EVEN if I choose not to prepaid & use cash by paying the driver - it is always honored with an email confirmation by Carmel.  I just got the same quotes on Carmel online and on their free mobile app - using Friday afternoon arrival at LGA to WTC - $59 for minivan ... same for other trips.  

Absolutely no reasons or basis to even consider using Dial 7 - all NYC TLC licensed FHV (For Hired Vehicles ... including Uber/Lyft) are subject to safety inspection every 6 months (I believe) & strict insurance requirements - perfectly fine to ride with, as always - buckle up the seat belts as riders in the backseat (or front). 

Edited by mking8288

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

m

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Wow, I haven't check Dial 7 lately but that's crazy high, absurd. 

king 

I did mock bookings on each service. Four passengers, six luggage:

LGA to WTC Hotel     MinV $59           SUV $140 

Hotel to Terminal      MiniV $59          SUV $125

Pier to LGA                 MiniV $55          SUV $150

The reason Dial 7 is coming in outrageously higher is because they're pushing you up to the much more expensive SUV category because of the 6 pieces of luggage.  Carmel is allowing you to book the mini van with 6 pieces of luggage but Dial 7 isn't. If you had 5 pieces of luggage Dial 7 would let you book a mini van just like Carmel is and the price while higher than Carmel's, wouldn't be as out of line.

Edited by njhorseman

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The reason Dial 7 is coming in outrageously higher is because they're pushing you up to the much more expensive SUV category because of the 6 pieces of luggage.  Carmel is allowing you to book the mini van with 6 pieces of luggage but Dial 7 isn't. If you had 5 pieces of luggage Dial 7 would let you book a mini van just like Carmel is and the price while higher than Carmel's, wouldn't be as out of line.

Thanks for the input, also thanks to mking. I chose 6 pieces of luggage because we are 4 people with a medium suitcase each and say two carry-ons, one per couple. Not sure how to count carry-on in this scenario. Most likely we could have carry-on in our lap.

I thought to book car service from and to LGA. In another thread it was said that Yellow Cabs are reluctant to take Hotel to Pier because of few return fares from Pier.Might play it by ear and ask Concierge - or just punt and add Car Service for that leg too.

Edit: Called Dial 7 and they said they do not count carry-on as luggage, so will try some more mock bookings and report back.

Edited by Tedferg

I did mock bookings on each service. Four passengers, four luggage:

LGA to WTC Hotel     MinV $59           MiniV $87

Hotel to Terminal      MiniV $59          MiniV $65

Pier to LGA                MiniV $55          To Be Quoted

Related question: What time would you suggest for return from Pier to LGA ? We have 3:30 pm departures. Assume latest time off the ship is 10:30. Would like to avoid too much time sitting at airport, but also not much chance to sightsee with all our luggage.

Edit: I just read back through this thread and remember that mking gave some good info about Pier to LGA etc.

Edited by Tedferg

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Tedferg,  let me know what you decide to do.  I will be using some sort of private transfer to and from Red Hook

Will do, our travel dates are Arrive LGA Sep 26 and Depart Oct 5. Currently leaning to use Carmel for three rides: LGA to Hotel; Hotel to Pier; Pier to LGA.