Jump to content

Oasis vs Anthem out of NJ 2020


Recommended Posts

Looking to narrow down some choices for our cruise next year. We're looking at the same itinerary but different dates on different ships

 

Itinerary: 7 night Orlando/Perfect Day/Nassau out of New Jersey.

 

1) Oasis (will be amplified) - Sept or Oct 2020

 

2) Anthem - March 2020

 

We've cruised 3 times:

1) 2014 on Allure - loved it, but memory isn't completely clear

2) 2018 on Grandeur - loved it

3) 2019 on Independence - had a good time, but had some issues with the ship, some over crowding (which we learned to handle as the cruise went on) and layout issues. Wouldn't completely prevent us from doing a Freedom class again

 

Things that appeal to us about Anthem

- new class of ship for us

- we want to try wonderland

- skydiving sounds fun

- seems like it's very different from other classes, and would be a fun to try something new

 

Things that appeal to us about Oasis

- newly renovated

- huge ship, lots of space and things to do

- want to try 150 Central Park (didn't manage to on our 2014 allure cruise)

- new BBQ place might be interesting

- would be interesting to try an Oasis class again now that we have more RCCL experience under our belt

 

We would just like some thoughts to help us narrow down which ship we would want to take. We would have a great time on either. We're a couple in our 30's without kids and the port is in driving distance.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Docbizarro said:

Looking to narrow down some choices for our cruise next year. We're looking at the same itinerary but different dates on different ships

 

Itinerary: 7 night Orlando/Perfect Day/Nassau out of New Jersey.

 

1) Oasis (will be amplified) - Sept or Oct 2020

 

2) Anthem - March 2020

 

We've cruised 3 times:

1) 2014 on Allure - loved it, but memory isn't completely clear

2) 2018 on Grandeur - loved it

3) 2019 on Independence - had a good time, but had some issues with the ship, some over crowding (which we learned to handle as the cruise went on) and layout issues. Wouldn't completely prevent us from doing a Freedom class again

 

Things that appeal to us about Anthem

- new class of ship for us

- we want to try wonderland

- skydiving sounds fun

- seems like it's very different from other classes, and would be a fun to try something new

 

Things that appeal to us about Oasis

- newly renovated

- huge ship, lots of space and things to do

- want to try 150 Central Park (didn't manage to on our 2014 allure cruise)

- new BBQ place might be interesting

- would be interesting to try an Oasis class again now that we have more RCCL experience under our belt

 

We would just like some thoughts to help us narrow down which ship we would want to take. We would have a great time on either. We're a couple in our 30's without kids and the port is in driving distance.

 

 

 

I love Anthem and have been on her three times in the last year. I will be going on the Oasis next Aug. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Weather wise, Mar would be better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Oasis will be in NJ for a limited time and then Anthem returning in 2021 so may want to do Oasis while you can. Fall is hurricane season so higher chance of port changes or the rare cancellation but also more of a low season with typically better prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Carol, I'd do Oasis because there's no telling when an Oasis class ship gets back up there.  Also, there's always the possibility that the stacks won't retract all the way and the ship gets stuck under the bridge.  Think of the excitement!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mlmc424 said:

If cost is an issue, Oasis is commanding much higher cruise fares than Anthem.

 

Are you saying that the price for a similar itinerary, similar stateroom category, close to the same date, out of Bayonne is higher on Oasis than Anthem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time we booked, the prices on Oasis were significantly higher.  We actually booked an interior cabin rather than our usual balcony so we could afford the cruise.  I have not checked recently - my TA monitors prices for me,

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mlmc424 said:

At the time we booked, the prices on Oasis were significantly higher.  We actually booked an interior cabin rather than our usual balcony so we could afford the cruise.  I have not checked recently - my TA monitors prices for me,

 

Surprising to me as Anthem is newer than Oasis.  Must be the novelty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done harmony and anthem. I prefer the oasis class ship over the quantum. If you really want to try wonderland you have to do it on harmony. Best location, two story. 

I believe oasis will be getting the music hall, which is the best part of quantum. 

I will be on oasis holloween week 2020, come join me

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a pretty big fan of Anthem... Wonderland was good, iFly was good, but overall the layout of the ship was great, variety of things to do was quite good and the look and feel of a *newer* ship was a plus. You will definitely notice this in your cabin - Oasis will probably not have any changes made to its cabins in its drydock, but Anthem's are nice and new already! Anthem does also have some great indoor spaces (Two70, a full indoor pool, an AMAZING Solarium, and many more), which can be nice if the weather gets nasty! 

 

One critique I have on Anthem is that we did not like the layout of the main dining rooms (Its a relic from the "Dynamic Dining" days where you would rotate between four small restaurants during the course of your trip as opposed being seated in the same place in one massive dining room for your trip - it is no longer this way and you pretty much end up wherever, though you can request a specific restaurant if you desire, they do all serve the same menu). Based on that, I'd definitely recommend trying the other dining options Jamie's, Wonderland, the Solarium Bistro, the Cafe at Two70, etc. Anthem does also have a fantastic Windjammer, (and I am not usually a buffet person).

 

I'd agree that if a trip to Florida isn't in the cards in the future that this would be a good opportunity to cruise on Oasis, but Anthem is one I enjoyed enough to want to do over and over.

 

Whichever one you choose, I'm sure you will have a great trip!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Surprising to me as Anthem is newer than Oasis.  Must be the novelty.

Newer doesn't have to mean better. For us the Oasis offers more and this isn't surprising. Both are great ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Are you saying that the price for a similar itinerary, similar stateroom category, close to the same date, out of Bayonne is higher on Oasis than Anthem?

I have also been pricing cruises out of Bayonne and Oasis is definitely running higher compared to Anthem. Ridiculous balcony prices.

 

**I just priced a 6 night Canada NE and the OV balcony wasn't bad mid 2000s maybe they adjusted prices. I remember getting mid 3000s. Still 3k if you want refundable though.

Edited by marci22
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed on Harmony and Anthem.... my preference is the Oasis class.  I really liked the Anthem and had no complaints, but really missed the bigger ship!  I just got off the Anthem and actually booked the Oasis while still onboard.  IMO, I would do the Oasis, especially if u r able to drive to Bayonne!  I jumped on this chance, as I live 1.5 hours away and had to fly when I sailed on Harmony.  I would keep a close eye on fares, as mine for Oasis just went down $800 ( OV balcony), and is now cheaper then what I paid for the Anthem ( and we have a larger balcony on the hump)!  Also was lucky to be in all the craziness and got the deluxe beverage package for $18/day!  You will enjoy either ship, I’m sure!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

Isn't September hurricane season? 

September is hurricane season but March is still winter.  March out of Bayonne is not going to be warm and could still have snow.  September could be 50s to 90s, never know at that time of year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I've done harmony and anthem. I prefer the oasis class ship over the quantum. If you really want to try wonderland you have to do it on harmony. Best location, two story. 

I believe oasis will be getting the music hall, which is the best part of quantum. 

I will be on oasis holloween week 2020, come join me

 

I am with you!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

September is hurricane season but March is still winter.  March out of Bayonne is not going to be warm and could still have snow.  September could be 50s to 90s, never know at that time of year.

That's not always the case. I have cruised out of Bayonne several times in March and it wasn't an issue. Once you get to Florida, it won't matter anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 03063Dad said:

Newer doesn't have to mean better. For us the Oasis offers more and this isn't surprising. Both are great ships.

 

I don't mean to imply newer is always better, but it tends to attract more attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...