Cruise Critic Community
guys2

Invicta Watch Sale total rip-off

The price of the Invicta watches during the “75% off Sale “ is double the price from Amazon.

literally 2X the price after shipping and tax. I expect to pay more on ship but not 2X especially that they advertise it as a huge sale 

Posted (edited)

Mass produced junk with mega inflated MSRP's ...... They can be had for 90% off every day on any watch selling website. 

Edited by tallnthensome

Why stop at just watches? This couldn’t be said about just about everything they sell. When you are a captive audience, you’re at their mercy.

Both at sea and on shore if  you don't check price online before buying you have no one to blame but yourself.

I bought them as gifts and now feel the value is greatly diminished. Posting this as a warning to other cruisers, in the hope that celebrity will learn by lack of sales.

Thanks 

OP, was this your first cruise? Sorry if thus came as a shock to you, but his is nothing new on any cruiseline.  And it's certainly not limited to watches. A good consumer knows the going price for any item before buying. Especially when buying something when away from home. Caveat emptor.

Posted (edited)

Invicta watches are a rip off period.  Horologists on watch sites always joke about someone’s Invicta collection.  Want a large size quality watch buy a Panerai.  Want junk buy a Invicta and don’t worry about paying too much because with the purchase you already did at any cost.  

Problem is too many passengers expect a silk purse from a pigs ear.  I don’t remember if those watches are being sold on the Edge but it was nice not to see all the other  junk that was being sold on the other ships.   If you want junk buy it in the ports and support the residents. 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

You need to have a knowledge of what something cost before buying it, I have seen good deals on scotch and others things and terrible prices. 

Duty free shop in the Caribbean.  Seriously?    Just go to Costco and get it for $19 or whatever it is in your  state

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

D64C30A1-C754-4259-B802-AE6F3FE72E51.jpeg

58 minutes ago, miched said:

Duty free shop in the Caribbean.  Seriously?    Just go to Costco and get it for $19 or whatever it is in your  state

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

D64C30A1-C754-4259-B802-AE6F3FE72E51.jpeg

Kirkland American Vodka is $12.99...just sayin

12 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Kirkland American Vodka is $12.99...just sayin

Unfortunately, not every state allows COSTCO to sell liquor...

Would LOVE to know who makes that for them!

Kirkland sell another vodka for about $20. Rumor is grey goose. We buy that, only use for mixers. No complaints. 

Invicta watched are big scam. If you pay more the $50, you were ripped off. 

Never but watches or anything on a cruise ship 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

OP, was this your first cruise? Sorry if thus came as a shock to you, but his is nothing new on any cruiseline.  And it's certainly not limited to watches. A good consumer knows the going price for any item before buying. Especially when buying something when away from home. Caveat emptor.

But there must be plenty of people who don't know about inflated prices in cruise ship stores or else they wouldn't still be there.  I won't shame OP but instead thank him for sharing his experience.  It will likely prevent others from making the same mistake.

We both own a couple of invicta watches we've purchased on cruise ships. The ones we have are stylish and dependable. Whether they were on sale or not had nothing to do with us purchasing them. Bought them with non refundable OBC. 

2 hours ago, guys2 said:

I bought them as gifts and now feel the value is greatly diminished. Posting this as a warning to other cruisers, in the hope that celebrity will learn by lack of sales.

Thanks 

Glad that you now know not to purchase in cruise shops unless you have researched prices online (do not think Celebrity is unusual in this regard - generally the case with all lines.)

Yes, Celebrity and other lines will continue these practices until the vast majority of cruisers discontinue shopping in them. However, this will probably never happen since most cruisers will remain either uninformed or unmotivated to discontinue their shopping.

Unfortunately, your posting will have little or no effect on their sales since the vast majority of CC members are already aware of the situation.

1 hour ago, Pentlands said:

Celebrity cruises total rip off.

I am so sorry to read that your experiences were bad.  I found quite the opposite, especially in terms of value paid.  We've enjoyed Blu, don't have an issue with tables, and enjoyed the breakfasts.  We, like others, use OBC for most purchases, so don't feel "ripped off."  And, yes, savvy cruisers check prices before purchasing to determine value, but we were all new cruisers once (I was 4 y o.😉) so the OP's comment is a cautionary tale for new cruisers, but it's really not hard to find good value with cruise price, merchandise purchases, or even food quality.  If I don't like something, I send it back and ask for an alternative.  The staff is there to please, and a polite request has almost always been fulfilled.  I call that good value.

DW saw an Effy bracelet she liked and purchased with non refundable OBC. Saw the same bracelet at an Effy store in Grand Cayman at a deep discount. Had the store manager write the price on his card and handed it to the shop manager on the ship. They matched the price without a hassle. The price was lower than any price on the internet. 

Also bought an. Furla Alice bag on a Celebrity ship on sale for hundreds less than the lowest internet price. 

Sometimes there are bargains to be had. 

On SL and EG they have a Tiffany Boutique.  Tiffany prices are not discounted ANYWHERE so when buying Tiffany on the ship there is zero CD the next day that you paid too much.  Most of the other items will be inflated, ie, especially cough syrup, Advil and other personal needed items, captive audiences.

5 hours ago, mnocket said:

But there must be plenty of people who don't know about inflated prices in cruise ship stores or else they wouldn't still be there.  I won't shame OP but instead thank him for sharing his experience.  It will likely prevent others from making the same mistake.

well said.  Everyone starts teeing off on the poor guy who got a bad deal and all he is trying to do is help others not get taken.

We have bought cameras, binoculars, iPads and several bits of jewellery on board. We always do a bit of research before we board, then browse the shops, then return to our room to recheck prices, model numbers etc on the internet. 

Whilst we have never found the price difference as high as yours we have sometimes found things more expensive and successfully negotiated the price down. Sometimes we have gone ahead with a purchase because we have had significant OBC that we need to spend or loose.

OP thanks for the warning. I do think many cruisers do expect that prices on board will be good and certainly with a sign indicating 75% off they will expect to have found a bargain.

I have seen some Citizen Eco Drive Signature Collection watches on Celebrity ships - these are excellent quality watches for the price. These were discounted and whilst significantly cheaper than UK they were still slightly more than you could expect to pay through an independent jeweler who has more scope to discount that a high street retailer. 

Really interesting to hear that folk have had prices reduced with proof of a lower price elsewhere.  We have either just walked away or used non refundable OBC so it is in effect "free" anyway (yes I know you pay for it in different ways - but you get my point.)

Sometimes is it worth paying a bit more for the experience - but that is individual choice. And don't buy art!

I do find the scramble around some of these sales at the end of the cruise quite funny, certainly for the watches which in general are just rubbish. However last Celebrity cruise they had a handbag sale in one of the shops and my wife got a huge bargain on a MK bag, literally a third of the price back in the UK. And you know when you purchase from Celebrity that it’s genuine.

There is sometimes a difference is what you can pay for items in the US versus the UK. I have generally found that branded handbags etc are cheaper onboard that in the UK, but as ever it’s worth knowing the price back at home before you buy. Internet access makes this an easy thing to check prior to purchase.

Debbie