Food from ship?

NCteacherlovescruising

One day while we are in Bermuda, we’d like to go to more private beaches.  Since they are more remote, there won’t be any concessions available. We would like to bring a cooler/backpack with water and lunch. What will we be permitted to bring off the ship with us?  I know we can’t bring fresh fruit, but what about sandwiches?   Or will we have to make due with water and snacks?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

We have always carried sealed bottled water off the ship without a problem.    I've read many take individually wrapped granola bars etc.    It can be very pricey to buy water & food on Bermuda.  I've never had anyone check what we were carrying off or had any officials in Bermuda ask what we were carrying onto the island.    Maybe someone else will have a more detailed answer for you.

• Thanks 1

We plan are bringing sealed snacks and beverages (bottles of water).

There are many Rubis (gas stations) that actually sell fresh soups and sandwiches (there is one near Blue Hole Park - where we are planning on going.)  Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Tami, lots of ppl take lunch off the ship.  On a plate in the buffet put buns and sliced meats and cheese or chicken cutlet or whatever you want in the sandwich, a cuppie of sauce, put another plate over top, take it back to your cabin and make em up in zip lock baggies, keep in the fridge if doing it the night before.  The easiest desserts for traveling are cookies.  Never heard of anyone getting searched leaving the ship or entering the pier.   The cruise line probably won't go broke.

38 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

Tami, lots of ppl take lunch off the ship.  On a plate in the buffet put buns and sliced meats and cheese or chicken cutlet or whatever you want in the sandwich, a cuppie of sauce, put another plate over top, take it back to your cabin and make em up in zip lock baggies, keep in the fridge if doing it the night before.  The easiest desserts for traveling are cookies.  Never heard of anyone getting searched leaving the ship or entering the pier.   The cruise line probably won't go broke.

Bermuda resticts restrict fruits and vegetables to protect their community. Many countries including the US do the same. Please don't be the ugly tourist and violate their regulations. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Bob7 said:

Never heard of anyone getting searched leaving the ship or entering the pier.

Been going to Bermuda for more than 30 years.

I've seen people being searched and prohibited items confiscated by local authorities numerous times.

The likelihood that you won't get caught is  not a justification for breaking local laws, and your "the cruise line probably won't go broke" comment is in some ways even more pathetic. The cruise line has the food there for you to eat regardless. For all they know you'll be having lunch on board before you go ashore or after you come back. The cruise lines doesn't make or enforce the rules...the country you're visiting does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So if only fresh fruits and vegetables are prohibited from being brought off the ship, bread and deli meat without any veggies (how boring!) shouldn't be a problem.  We are thinking of going to a remote beach without any facilities and if we do I would like to take a picnic lunch.

While fresh fruits and vegetables are absolutely prohibited anything not in a factory sealed package is potentially a problem . Customs officers have the discretion to disallow anything they can not identify with certainty.

If you want to go to a remote beach without amenities, please don't break local laws by bringing unsealed food off the ship simply to make things more convenient for yourself. These laws are in place to protect local agriculture and all countries have them.

Inform your cab driver that you'd like to stop somewhere to get sandwiches and snacks for the beach and you should be taken care of, and you'll be helping a local business owner as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, richg35 said:

If you want to go to a remote beach without amenities, please don't break local laws by bringing unsealed food off the ship simply to make things more convenient for yourself. These laws are in place to protect local agriculture and all countries have them.

I don’t want to break any laws, perhaps you should reread my OP. I asked what I would be permitted to bring off the ship, not what I could sneak off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I don’t want to break any laws, perhaps you should reread my OP. I asked what I would be permitted to bring off the ship, not what I could sneak off. 

I think he is responding to what some of the other people posted in response to your question.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So if only fresh fruits and vegetables are prohibited from being brought off the ship, bread and deli meat without any veggies (how boring!) shouldn't be a problem.  We are thinking of going to a remote beach without any facilities and if we do I would like to take a picnic lunch.

Deli meat will be a problem. Any "open" food: Cheese , meat, etc.
I have seen a lot of confiscated food items near the customs/officer's area, when you enter...fruit, brown bags, zip locks of sandwiches, bread, cheese, nuts, meat etc. They pick people at random and check. You don't just walk out from the ship straight on to the dock. You have to pass through an small area where there is a customs officer or two......they stop and check at random.

The dock yard pharmacy has decent stuff ( packaged food and fresh made sandwiches etc) to buy and take for a picnic lunch.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2