Fabric Refreshers

First off, I did try to search this question out.  I am finding the search tool not as helpful as what it was on the old forum.  At any rate, if it's been talked about, please forgive me.  I got tired of trying to find what I want.

Friends, hubby and I booked a cruise in Europe for next year and the first part of our tour will begin in Venice, take us to Rome for a few days, then off on our cruise and ending in Barcelona where we will head home.  We will be living roughly 2 weeks in a carry on.  I know it can be done and I will have more questions later about dress as I come to them and mine are definitely going to come from a plus sized perspective! =P  Having lived in Europe I do have a clue of how it is, but for now I'm thinking of how I am lightening my load and the nice thing is, I have a year to give it lots of thought and what I really need to pack!  

That brings me to my initial question....I have always found Downey Fabric Refreshers almost nauseating in scent, almost to the point I feel it overwhelms my perfume when I've sprayed my clothing with it.  I personally think it's very strong.  Does anyone have any suggestions for ones that are not as overwhelming or one that they make that's safe on their fabrics?  I'm looking at one from the Laundress in particular, but I'm open to anything.....I just don't want to be overwhelmed with scent.  If you have had experience with this one from the Laundress, I would like to hear your thoughts about it as well or others that might be out there for purchase.  I don't mind being Suzy Homemaker and making one if someone has some ideas as well.  

https://www.thelaundress.com/fabric-fresh-classic-2fl-oz.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjYHpBRC4ARIsAI-3GkG-0kBv8q5vQFpFIzZ4OsUeTaG8ZiLIboQ_I8PBBHZV1YtTNAlZqn4aAqgZEALw_wcB

Edited by islandgirlejfan

I use a Bath and Body fragrance called White Citrus.  It is light, and dissipates rapidly.  It leaves a lovely low-keyed scent on your clothes, and I use it rather than Febreeze, etc.  They sell it in a travel size bottle, so you can experiment with the smell.  If you find it too strong, then add some water to it.

I spritz my clothes when I take them off and hang them up.  After while the whole closet/drawer smells lovely.

I use the other White Citrus products, too.  I remember when I was caring for my infant grandaughter a few years ago while Mommy worked two days a week.  My DIL told me the baby always smelled so good when I'd been holding her.

You can purchase this on Ebay to try it out with little expense.

• Like 2

Islandgirl: 

Don't worry about starting a new thread (especially not on this board, we are not the Forum Police). Start as many as you like as you figure out your 2-weeks in a Carry-on quest! If you can do 2-weeks, and you can, you can do 2-months or a year. Some say pack for a week and repeat, but that does get to be boring. Ask how I know.

Watch out for Norwegian Air or Finn Air -- their carryon weight restrictions are designed to make you check a bag and pay for it. If possible fly with British Air -- their carryon allowance is given in generous dimensions (cm) and essentially any weight (23Kg EACH per suitcase and personal item). 

The B&B travel size sounds promising, because if you are going carry-on only (and you should), remember all liquids have to be 3oz or less and fit in your 3-1-1 bag for flying.

• Like 1

For a fabric refresher, I recently saw that Downy has a "crisp linen" scent. Perhaps you would find that less overwhelming?

Also, I've made my own before by adding a little fabric softener to water. Essentially, that's all the wrinkle release is anyway. I think I used max 1 tsp fabric softener to 3 oz of water. You can use whatever fabric softener you like, and I've seen scent-free fabric softeners before.

• Like 1

@islandgirlejfan, you can do it!  Last year we were on a 2 week repositioning cruise to Rome, then 3 weeks in Italy.  We each had the clothes for 2 weeks on the cruise in one carry-on each; the 3 weeks on land were another carry-on each.  So, 2 carry-ons each (obviously, we each checked a carry-on on the way to the cruise). There was also one backpack each, but not a large one.  

In the cruise carry-on were clothes that were still in good shape and still stylish, but about 1.5 - 2 sizes too big.  Same for DH.  We each had a carry-on suitcase that, while serviceable, had seen better days.  I left the clothes and the suitcases on the ship when we left.  That left us with one carry-on each and a backpack each, which we could manage while getting on and off trains.

Fortunately, it wasn’t very hot when we went at the first of May.  I took a tiny bottle of Gain scented Febreeze.  It is a bit perfume-y, but I just gritted my teeth and used it when necessary.  I took cotton slacks and cotton t-shirts.  I don’t think cotton holds odors like other fabrics. 

I’m looking forward to hearing what other folks have to say about fabric fresheners that may be a milder fragrance than Febreeze.  And I’m going to test out the vodka and water suggestion!  

Now, I’m going to get on my Eileen Fisher soapbox.  I have the dress below.  It is viscose jersey.  It isn’t hot.  It doesn’t wrinkle.  It is like wearing nearly nothing.  You can wash it in the sink, roll it in a towel, hang it up, and it will be dry by morning.  When I got home, I bought a second one.  I keep saying I’m going to take a trip with just the two dresses and an assortment of scarves, sweaters, and jackets, but I’m not really that brave.  

The second picture shows how small the EF dress packs.  It is a cube I packed for our trip this past May.  I am always very nervous about checked bags going astray.  The cube is about 8” x 6” and maybe 3” deep and went into my backpack.  It contains the EF dress rolled up tight, extra undies, a scarf, a necklace, and a pair of earrings.  Oh, and I added a pair of flat nude sandals to the cube after the photo. 

Since the trip to Italy, I’ve also bought an EF tunic in tencel jersey and stretch crepe pants in viscose/nylon/spandex.  Both of those pieces will also dry overnight.  

If you mix some easy wash pieces in with your regular clothes, I think you can easily go for 2 weeks in a carry-on!

If you are interested, EF is on sale right now.  Look at the Eileen Fisher website and Nordstrom.  You might also check Neiman Marcus.

I bought a pure silk nightgown that I can rinse out in the morning and it will be dry by bedtime.  It is very comfortable whatever the temperature in the room.

I’m also very rigid about shoes: 1 pair of walking shoes which I wear on the plane, 1 pair of flats, and 1 pair of the flattest sandals I can find.  

BDADBE7D-7644-49CF-9E87-05BA55142179.jpeg

846CD1D3-4694-484C-AE69-BBB0C39B2B70.jpeg

• Like 2

Do you want a "fabric refresher" for scent or wrinkles? People are giving recs for both so I'm confused. [what's new?] 

I don't use any products - air out for scent (wash in the sink when airing isn't enough) or hang in the bathroom to steam while I shower if wrinkles. Though I a) pack mostly knits and b) don't worry so much about wrinkles on vacation.....

If I brought febreze into the house, I think my husband would move out. Or kick me (and the febreze out 😉 ) He's VERY odor sensitive.

^ Agreed.

Many people are odor-sensitive. It can be a terrible problem, almost as bad as cigarette smoke, body odor, or bad breath. 😕

Is there any way you would not take a fabric refresher spray? I'm not being cheeky, but rather serious - what about taking clothes that you can rinse out in the cabin sink after wearing a couple of times? Cleaning your clothes with soap and water is always better than spraying a scent on top of them, don't you agree? Sorry, I know it's not what you asked about, but I hope you don't mind hearing my opinion. I can't be the only one who feels this way. 😊

Have a great time. 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, bbstx said:

@islandgirlejfan, you can do it!  Last year we were on a 2 week repositioning cruise to Rome, then 3 weeks in Italy.  We each had the clothes for 2 weeks on the cruise in one carry-on each; the 3 weeks on land were another carry-on each.  So, 2 carry-ons each (obviously, we each checked a carry-on on the way to the cruise). There was also one backpack each, but not a large one.  

In the cruise carry-on were clothes that were still in good shape and still stylish, but about 1.5 - 2 sizes too big.  Same for DH.  We each had a carry-on suitcase that, while serviceable, had seen better days.  I left the clothes and the suitcases on the ship when we left.  That left us with one carry-on each and a backpack each, which we could manage while getting on and off trains.

Fortunately, it wasn’t very hot when we went at the first of May.  I took a tiny bottle of Gain scented Febreeze.  It is a bit perfume-y, but I just gritted my teeth and used it when necessary.  I took cotton slacks and cotton t-shirts.  I don’t think cotton holds odors like other fabrics. 

I’m looking forward to hearing what other folks have to say about fabric fresheners that may be a milder fragrance than Febreeze.  And I’m going to test out the vodka and water suggestion!  

Now, I’m going to get on my Eileen Fisher soapbox.  I have the dress below.  It is viscose jersey.  It isn’t hot.  It doesn’t wrinkle.  It is like wearing nearly nothing.  You can wash it in the sink, roll it in a towel, hang it up, and it will be dry by morning.  When I got home, I bought a second one.  I keep saying I’m going to take a trip with just the two dresses and an assortment of scarves, sweaters, and jackets, but I’m not really that brave.  

The second picture shows how small the EF dress packs.  It is a cube I packed for our trip this past May.  I am always very nervous about checked bags going astray.  The cube is about 8” x 6” and maybe 3” deep and went into my backpack.  It contains the EF dress rolled up tight, extra undies, a scarf, a necklace, and a pair of earrings.  Oh, and I added a pair of flat nude sandals to the cube after the photo. 

Since the trip to Italy, I’ve also bought an EF tunic in tencel jersey and stretch crepe pants in viscose/nylon/spandex.  Both of those pieces will also dry overnight.  

If you mix some easy wash pieces in with your regular clothes, I think you can easily go for 2 weeks in a carry-on!

If you are interested, EF is on sale right now.  Look at the Eileen Fisher website and Nordstrom.  You might also check Neiman Marcus.

I bought a pure silk nightgown that I can rinse out in the morning and it will be dry by bedtime.  It is very comfortable whatever the temperature in the room.

I’m also very rigid about shoes: 1 pair of walking shoes which I wear on the plane, 1 pair of flats, and 1 pair of the flattest sandals I can find.  

BDADBE7D-7644-49CF-9E87-05BA55142179.jpeg

846CD1D3-4694-484C-AE69-BBB0C39B2B70.jpeg

Oh, for sure I know the carry on is do-able.  As we will be in Venice and Rome before hand, there is just no plan to overpack.  I do it now for a little over a week travel, but I do have to think a little more out of the box with two weeks, if for no other reason that I know dress in Europe is a tad more conservative than I would head out somewhere here.  

I have two dresses that are quite similar to yours that I bought along with a few other pieces that I have in my *cruise wardrobe* (only time I use them to be honest), and they are so perfect for a cruise!  I have plans to wear a swipe skirt from Poppy Row (a Kickstarter that I did) that I have to say I really thought was going to look pathetic on me, however it's a favorite piece of mine.  I plan on taking a few tanks and wraps and changing what I bring for the evening a bit.  I have a knit pair of pants that I've had for quite sometime and they will rinse right out in the sink.  Just got a new Eileen Fisher tank in beige from Poshmark which I am sure will be getting a work out!

I too am going to test out the water and vodka....I did just get a fabric spray from the Laundress online for my home and I'm very pleased with the scent....it's light, not crazy like Febreeze.  I may just take some of it because what it reminds me of is the clean smell of sheets being on a line all day.   It's not strong at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Do you want a "fabric refresher" for scent or wrinkles? People are giving recs for both so I'm confused. [what's new?] 

I don't use any products - air out for scent (wash in the sink when airing isn't enough) or hang in the bathroom to steam while I shower if wrinkles. Though I a) pack mostly knits and b) don't worry so much about wrinkles on vacation.....

If I brought febreze into the house, I think my husband would move out. Or kick me (and the febreze out 😉 ) He's VERY odor sensitive.

I'm the odor sensitive one, hence I cannot STAND the Downy (or Febreeze) stuff.  But because I am odor sensitive, it's also because I can smell myself as the day wears on.  My husband says he doesn't smell me, but he knows from experience that I have a highly developed sniffer! =P   If I'm on the ship and I have something on for just a few hours, speaking from a dinner standpoint, I just want to be able to spritz an item and wear it again just for my peace of mind.  I will be washing out stuff for sure.  I know people send stuff out to the laundry, but most of my clothes I feel can't be handled in crazy hot water.  I have plastic hangers I take on trips with me that fold up and are awesome!  I also take knits....so this is more from the refreshing side opposed to the wrinkles.  

5 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

^ Agreed.

Many people are odor-sensitive. It can be a terrible problem, almost as bad as cigarette smoke, body odor, or bad breath. 😕

Is there any way you would not take a fabric refresher spray? I'm not being cheeky, but rather serious - what about taking clothes that you can rinse out in the cabin sink after wearing a couple of times? Cleaning your clothes with soap and water is always better than spraying a scent on top of them, don't you agree? Sorry, I know it's not what you asked about, but I hope you don't mind hearing my opinion. I can't be the only one who feels this way. 😊

Have a great time. 

I'm thinking more of neutralizing....because I have this issue myself with scent, I'm just looking more for something I may wear for say 3 or 4 hours to be *refreshed* in with a not so overpowering laundry scent or no scent at all (the vodka and water sounds intriguing!).  Just having that Downy stuff in my ship closet would be positively nauseating!!!  That stuff is beyond strong.  I will be rinsing out things in the room....from what I'm reading with Venice, it's much better to not haul a huge bag.    

• Like 1

Vodka and water (not sure of the ratio, maybe 1:1 or 1:2) should work for the neutralizing.  I learned about it in theatre productions as a way to keep the costumes fresh during show week.  I've used it myself at home (think I eyeballed 1:1) for some older fabrics from an estate that had a "musty" smell but couldn't be washed and the odors came out.

Vodka also works as a good glass/bead/diamond cleaner. Vinegar should work too, but would take longer for the odor to dissipate.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Vinegar should work too, but would take longer for the odor to dissipate

FWIW, The Laundress makes a scented vinegar.  They say it is “a fresh blend of eucalyptus with notes of pine and hints of rose, lily of the valley, bergamot, ylang-ylang and thyme. You may also notice hints of musk and lavender.”   I’m not sure I wouldn’t prefer the smell of vinegar to all that. 🤧

23 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Do you want a "fabric refresher" for scent or wrinkles? People are giving recs for both so I'm confused.

For our 5 week trip, I bought Downy Wrinkle Release and discovered it describes itself as not only a wrinkle release, but also a fabric refresher.  I think the two are getting mixed here because the manufacturers are marketing them as dual purpose.  

Like islandgirlejfan, I’m not looking for something to cover the stink of rank clothing.  I’m looking for something that will just make my clothes feel a little fresher to me.  I hate when I go into a restaurant and come out an hour or two later and my fresh from the cleaners sweater has picked up food odors.  It isn’t dirty, but it needs de-odorizing.  I’m going to give the vodka & water spray a try. 

Islandgirlejfan, I am such an advocate of carry-on-only that I see the words and it’s like Pavlov’s dog; I’ve just got to tell everyone all about how it can be done.  I realized after I wrote that post that it was way too long.  I tired to edit it back to just a response to your question.  For some reason, as soon as I clicked on “edit,”  the edit function went away and I was stuck.  I apologize for being so verbose.  

I’m also a fan of The Vivienne Files.  I wrote about it here 

• Like 1

We're getting ready for two weeks in SE Asia - doing a Mekong cruise in August - packing carry-on (size...but checking the bags - so I can carry my favorite tube of handwash - it's too big for carry-on 😉 ) I am trying to pack light and include things that can be washed & dried overnight. At least this will be a more casual trip than I usually pack for, because technical fabrics are the quickest to dry! So I have a couple of dresses for evenings and mostly technical capris for the day (well, 1 pr Chicos neema shorts, 2 pr technical fabric capris, and one Columbia technical fabric short dress) All those items will dry overnight. My shirts tend to be linen or cotton (the tanks at least - the button down overshirts are technical fabrics AND I have a couple of rash guards I'm bringing for sun protection and to enter templs...) So the linen & cotton might need 2 days to dry but that's why you bring twice as many tops as bottoms....(except the dresses....)

Good thing I love crafting a packing list and figuring out the puzzle pieces that work best for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbstx said:

For our 5 week trip, I bought Downy Wrinkle Release and discovered it describes itself as not only a wrinkle release, but also a fabric refresher.  I think the two are getting mixed here because the manufacturers are marketing them as dual purpose.  

Like islandgirlejfan, I’m not looking for something to cover the stink of rank clothing.  I’m looking for something that will just make my clothes feel a little fresher to me.  I hate when I go into a restaurant and come out an hour or two later and my fresh from the cleaners sweater has picked up food odors.  It isn’t dirty, but it needs de-odorizing.  I’m going to give the vodka & water spray a try. 

Islandgirlejfan, I am such an advocate of carry-on-only that I see the words and it’s like Pavlov’s dog; I’ve just got to tell everyone all about how it can be done.  I realized after I wrote that post that it was way too long.  I tired to edit it back to just a response to your question.  For some reason, as soon as I clicked on “edit,”  the edit function went away and I was stuck.  I apologize for being so verbose.  

I’m also a fan of The Vivienne Files.  I wrote about it here 

LOL, well I am the queen of verbose sometimes, so we are birds of a feather!  I also really enjoying packing light these days.  I used to stress so much about my wardrobe, especially on a cruise.  Our last cruise, my husband booked a flight for 10:00 out of FLL and of course I was sweating bullets.  We did the walk off and actually had time for breakfast at the airport.  I'm finding out a lot of things about myself at 57....one is I really don't need as much to make me happy....two, my best efforts are just that.  I need to cut myself some slack.

I'm going to try the vodka and water for sure.  We have breakfast at a local cafe before church on Sundays and I often smell like breakfast food....it will be the perfect opportunity to see if it works for that.  I usually wear my Sunday best on Monday and I definitely will know! :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

We're getting ready for two weeks in SE Asia - doing a Mekong cruise in August - packing carry-on (size...but checking the bags - so I can carry my favorite tube of handwash - it's too big for carry-on 😉 ) I am trying to pack light and include things that can be washed & dried overnight. At least this will be a more casual trip than I usually pack for, because technical fabrics are the quickest to dry! So I have a couple of dresses for evenings and mostly technical capris for the day (well, 1 pr Chicos neema shorts, 2 pr technical fabric capris, and one Columbia technical fabric short dress) All those items will dry overnight. My shirts tend to be linen or cotton (the tanks at least - the button down overshirts are technical fabrics AND I have a couple of rash guards I'm bringing for sun protection and to enter templs...) So the linen & cotton might need 2 days to dry but that's why you bring twice as many tops as bottoms....(except the dresses....)

Good thing I love crafting a packing list and figuring out the puzzle pieces that work best for me!

I love making packing lists....we are going to Hawaii in a few weeks and I just so look forward to grabbing my ebags backpack from the overhead storage and going right to pick up the convertible we rented.  No time wasted waiting for baggage.

I've been finding some lighter fabrics in plus size recently and I am so happy that retailers are getting more inclusive with clothing offerings in all sizes.  I have found some great stuff in a lot of places.  I really can't wait to put my items together for Europe.  I haven't been since 2003, so I am looking forward to it!

I do a visual packing list in powerpoint so I can see the mix & match outfits for each day 😉 (also have a word document that has the item list, with all the other stuff I need to pack - that's an area I need to cut back again as it's been growing the past couple years.....Problem is, in rural SE Asia, you do sort of need to be prepared because you can't just pop out to the drugstore to pick up a replacement 😉 )

• Like 2

@Hoyaheel, I tried doing the Power Point visual but decided it was faster and easier for me to lay it out on the bed.  I’m not too well-versed in PP.   I do a spreadsheet for each day with columns for morning, afternoon, and evening.  It is mostly to make sure I’m carrying enough.  

@islandgirlejfan, only a backpack for Hawaii!?!?!  I’m impressed!!  Last time I went, I had a carry-on AND a backpack!  Please let us know how the vodka and water works on the breakfast smells.  That is exactly the sort of scenario I was talking about.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbstx said:

@islandgirlejfan, only a backpack for Hawaii!?!?!  I’m impressed!!  Last time I went, I had a carry-on AND a backpack!  Please let us know how the vodka and water works on the breakfast smells.  That is exactly the sort of scenario I was talking about.  

In all fairness, it's a carry on backpack.  It's the same one that we will be using to go to Europe next year, so we will be seeing how this goes.  

I have to make the up the bottle of vodka and water for Sunday.  LOL, I need to see if I have any PLAIN vodka....lol, I'm thinking right now I have birthday cake, black cherry and orange whipped! =P

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, islandgirlejfan said:

have to make the up the bottle of vodka and water for Sunday.  LOL, I need to see if I have any PLAIN vodka....lol, I'm thinking right now I have birthday cake, black cherry and orange whipped! =P

Interesting assortment of vodkas, you’ve got there.  Wonder if rubbing alcohol would work as well?

I usually pack a small empty spray bottle when I travel.   I fill it with water when I get where I’m going and use it to spritz wrinkles in my clothes.  If the vodka trick works, I’m wondering if I can use my drinks package on the cruise and have the bartender put a shot of vodka in my spray bottle!  HA!  

Edited by bbstx
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, bbstx said:

If the vodka trick works, I’m wondering if I can use my drinks package on the cruise and have the bartender put a shot of vodka in my spray bottle!  HA!  

Usually, the drinks packages don't include straight shots BUT you could ask for a vodka + water and pour it in yourself!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bbstx said:

Interesting assortment of vodkas, you’ve got there.  Wonder if rubbing alcohol would work as well?

I usually pack a small empty spray bottle when I travel.   I fill it with water when I get where I’m going and use it to spritz wrinkles in my clothes.  If the vodka trick works, I’m wondering if I can use my drinks package on the cruise and have the bartender put a shot of vodka in my spray bottle!  HA!  

After this day of work and then meeting with a contractor about a bathroom demo and new carpeting for our condo, those vodka selections could very well be gone....LOL!  I'm just eating lunch because it has been so crazy!

I usually have a spray bottle with me as well.  In my case, I usually spray water it on my hair as for some reason on a cruise, it's very unruly.  

This is my Panama Canal cruise....only 10 days and I still brought home some clean stuff.  I know I can do this 14 days carry on business!

lightpacking.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbstx said:

@Hoyaheel, I tried doing the Power Point visual but decided it was faster and easier for me to lay it out on the bed.  I’m not too well-versed in PP.  

It was sort of a pain to start (had to find or take photos of all my clothing - but since I shop online, it's easy now) but I like to look at pictures. I do a final check as I'm packing, laid out, but I like to work on a packing list as soon as I plan a trip, adjusting when I'm bored at work or if I buy new clothing 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, pacruise804 said:

Vodka and water (not sure of the ratio, maybe 1:1 or 1:2) should work for the neutralizing.  I learned about it in theatre productions as a way to keep the costumes fresh during show week.  I've used it myself at home (think I eyeballed 1:1) for some older fabrics from an estate that had a "musty" smell but couldn't be washed and the odors came out.

Vodka also works as a good glass/bead/diamond cleaner. Vinegar should work too, but would take longer for the odor to dissipate.

OK....so I tried this tonight.  My husband and I go to a diner near our home on occasion and as soon as I walked out, even in our oppressive heat, I could smell the food in my clothing.  I decided when I got home, I would make a bottle up and spray it on my clothes....and this is in a word, AMAZING!  I did 1:1 on the ratios and the food odors pretty much dissipated.  I have to say this is exactly what I was thinking and it's a cheap fix!  Even if you don't drink, you could get a miniature of vodka at the liquor store to make it up for your clothing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I use fragrance free Febreeze (need to order online as I can rarely find it in stores) and I transfer to a small travel size spray bottle.  But I'm going to try vodka/water mix.That's even easier than online shopping. 🙂  

• Like 1