Cruise Critic Community
CRUISINGCPA

Lobster night CK vs MDR-Allure

Trying to decide if we should go to CK on lobster night instead of MDR. I’ve read that lobster in CK is bigger & better than MDR, but the menu for MDR shows some of our favorite appetizers (Visalia onion tart, caprese salad). Can we ask for these in CK even tho they are not on the menu? Is the lobster really any different?

Honest opinions please. We tried CK on the Oasis a few years ago & found the service & food to be meh.

Our experience was that the "free" lobster served in CK was identical to what was being served the same night in the MDR.   CK was offering it as a courtesy.  You can ask for anything, but I would expect that they have prepared to offer the MDR lobster, and have not prepared to offer every other MDR option. 

Our lobster in CK was served with a vanilla sauce which we did not like. When we got seconds we asked for it to be plain with melted butter on the side.

It's be awhile since we had lobster in the MDR but we did have it in the Coastal Kitchen this past October. We can say it is better than the $21 add on in Chops. We only did it because we had a free meal in Chops and obc to spend.

45 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Our lobster in CK was served with a vanilla sauce which we did not like. When we got seconds we asked for it to be plain with melted butter on the side.

We’ve had it with champagne sauce in the past and now order it with no sauce.  

Posted (edited)

Another vote to order either sauce on the side...or no sauce in CK.  I forgot one night and it came smothered with that awful sauce.  I don't recall anyone actually liking that sauce...can't figure why they don't change that.  😝

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Another vote to order either sauce on the side...or no sauce in CK.  I forgot one night and it came smothered with that awful sauce.  I don't recall anyone actually liking that sauce...can't figure why they don't change that.  😝

They may not change CATS. 😉

Seriously, the sauce is awful. And in my extensive experience,  the CK lobsters are small. Order at least two

I liked the champagne sauce. 🙂. But agree the tails were small in CK, they brought me two and that was good. 👍

On the Allure, I would choose the MDR (for the food overall  and  the service). 

When we were on board, the CK in all the Oasis Class ships we have sailed (all of them) served poached lobster as opposed to the broiled in the MDR.  We also get some scallops along with the lobster.  We do not like the poached lobster as well but still eat in CK to avoid the chaos of the MDR.

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

When we were on board, the CK in all the Oasis Class ships we have sailed (all of them) served poached lobster as opposed to the broiled in the MDR.  We also get some scallops along with the lobster.  We do not like the poached lobster as well but still eat in CK to avoid the chaos of the MDR.

Std is poached, but you can ask for broiled

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

They may not change CATS. 😉

Seriously, the sauce is awful. And in my extensive experience,  the CK lobsters are small. Order at least two

Funny thing...is at least they know those lobster tails are small, (still oblivious to the nasty sauce) since they always brought us two on Oasis.  😉 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Std is poached, but you can ask for broiled

That was one of the reasons (IMHO) I never liked the lobster tails in the MDR...they are rubbery when they broil them.  😞 

Sounds like a slam dunk to me, we are not really a saucey family.  Maybe we'll try Ck on another night.  I have no issues with dining in the MDR - any meal I don't have to cook and clean up after is AOK with me😊

6 hours ago, island lady said:

That was one of the reasons (IMHO) I never liked the lobster tails in the MDR...they are rubbery when they broil them.  😞 

No, they are rubbery because they are not Maine Lobster tails.  They are what we always called Florida or Bahamian and never could get excited about them.  Stone Crabs, that's another story.  Many, many moons ago there was a restaurant in Miami called "Captain's Tavern" and one night a week they served 2 whole Maine Lobsters for $9.98 and the line was always long and the lobster was always awesome.  Not as good as when it came right off the boat and was $3.00 per lobster in Maine.  We each had 2 for breakfast one Sunday.

8 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

No, they are rubbery because they are not Maine Lobster tails.  They are what we always called Florida or Bahamian and never could get excited about them.  Stone Crabs, that's another story.  Many, many moons ago there was a restaurant in Miami called "Captain's Tavern" and one night a week they served 2 whole Maine Lobsters for $9.98 and the line was always long and the lobster was always awesome.  Not as good as when it came right off the boat and was $3.00 per lobster in Maine.  We each had 2 for breakfast one Sunday.

You can get a tasty spiny lobster if cooked well.

That is a challenge on a cruise ship

11 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Florida lobsters are "warm water tails"....Maine Lobsters are "cold water" tails...and of course have the claws (my favorite part..tender and sweet).  Have never been a fan of the warm water lobsters...which are really just big crawfish or "bugs".  

This was our dinner last Friday up here in Maine.  

WP_004877.jpg

OMG looks awesome.  May I join the two of you?  That is my idea of a lobster.

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I grew up in the South Miami area and we loved lobster night at Captains Tavern! The lobsters would hang over the edges of the plate. I skipped the salad, bread, and sides and just ate lobster.  What a treat. Stone crabs are the best to me.  We try to time our trips to Florida to coincide with stone crab season.        

12 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I grew up in the South Miami area and we loved lobster night at Captains Tavern! The lobsters would hang over the edges of the plate. I skipped the salad, bread, and sides and just ate lobster.  What a treat. Stone crabs are the best to me.  We try to time our trips to Florida to coincide with stone crab season.        

Those were the days.  Knew a fisherman in Everglades City thus got our stone crabs at a huge discount.  He furnished the stone crabs for Joe's Stone Crab on Miami Beach, at least he told us so.

17 hours ago, Snit13 said:

OMG looks awesome.  May I join the two of you?  That is my idea of a lobster.

Sure...come on up!  We are spending the summer up here in "the land yacht".  Lots of fresh seafood everywhere...and then the fresh Maine blueberries get ripe around August....Mmmm....  

DH dives for Florida lobster off the beach or in the Keys and we cook it that night and it is amazing. Only time I really like it. The MDR lobster is nothing like that. We have a friend who puts out traps for stone crabs and they were amazing too, until someone started raiding his traps. We don’t do the stone crab in restaurants, although Joe ‘s is excellent, the mark up is too high. Find a good seafood store that will call you when they get the jumbos and colossols in. 

Mary Ann

On 7/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, CRUISINGCPA said:

Sounds like a slam dunk to me, we are not really a saucey family.  Maybe we'll try Ck on another night.  I have no issues with dining in the MDR - any meal I don't have to cook and clean up after is AOK with me😊

We were on Allure a few weeks ago and were very underwhelmed with CK. We wont bother with it next time.

Lobster in Chops was okay with the sauce but better with just the butter.

We agree with your first post - meh.