Explain Packing Cubes

sbcatcher1

22 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm glad that I'm flying British Airways. I never have to weight my carryon because it's impossible to pack 23 kg in it! 

Watch, some airlines limit carry on to much lower level than checked bags.  I have seen as low as 8 kg.  And they will NOT let you carry it on if over the limit. 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Watch, some airlines limit carry on to much lower level than checked bags.  I have seen as low as 8 kg.  And they will NOT let you carry it on if over the limit. 

British Airways has a 23 kg limit for the carryon.

I'm not sure what happens if I'm booked on BA and my flight is cancelled and they move me to an American or Finnair flight. Normally my carryon weight less than 8 kg and then it doesn't matter but if it's much heavier? I assume that it will still be okay or if not that they will let me check it for free.  

After an unfortunate incident at a British airport, when our luggage sat on the tarmac in a pouring rainstorm long enough for every single thing inside the bags to be wet, I now always pack everything in plastic.  I use the mid or large size compression bags for bigger things and gallon, quart and 2.5 gallon zip lock bags for everything else, including books and any paper.  

On 7/7/2019 at 9:48 AM, KmomChicago said:

When my daughter goes off to sleepaway summer camp, I use plastic grocery bags for each day's outfit for her. Similar concept, hillbilly (or green, or frugal, or recycle, or upcycle) method. 

I love it!  

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2019 at 3:53 PM, ShakyBeef said:

Are the packing cubes washable?   May I ask: Do those of you who put your dirty laundry into the packing cubes then wash the packing cubes, or do you just reuse them on the next trip for clean clothes without washing them first?  I'm just so grossed out by the idea of dirty laundry shoved into a packing cube that then holds clean laundry. 

I realize this is a me thing.  I have designated "clean laundry" baskets for clothes out of the dryer, and "dirty laundry" baskets lined up on my laundry room floor for sorting colours of dirty laundry before washing.  And never the twain shall meet.  But I'm just curious (and kinda icked out🤢), do you wash the packing cubes?:classic_blush:

I wash mine when I get home. I don’t use them to pack dirty clothes in either, but they have sat on those shelves in the cabin.  My dirty clothes are in a hamper until the last day and they go in a garbage bag or a compression bag to be washed at home.  I get grossed out when people say they leave their suitcase open under the bed and put their dirty clothes in it.  You can’t wash the inside of a suitcase very easily. 

I love packing cubes.  I just unpack the cubes and put them on a shelf or in a drawer.  I usually take one or two of the cubes and hang those clothes up when I get there so if there are any wrinkles they fall out by the time we wear them.  Definitely hang my dress clothes. Shorts and t shirts can stay in the cubes until needed.  

I really don’t like to wear wrinkled clothes, so I have a tiny spray bottle that I fill with fabric softener at home and add water when I get there.  Spritzing and smoothing does the job for me.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Weird, there are two topics on this with the same title, but vastly different responses. :classic_rolleyes:

They also made a thread on the Carnival board and it was moved. I asked the Mods to combine them.

17 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

British Airways has a 23 kg limit for the carryon.

I'm not sure what happens if I'm booked on BA and my flight is cancelled and they move me to an American or Finnair flight. Normally my carryon weight less than 8 kg and then it doesn't matter but if it's much heavier? I assume that it will still be okay or if not that they will let me check it for free.  

The only time I have had my carry on weighed, was at check in.

So as long as you get through check in, you are home free.

If before check in, they may or may not check it for free.  It will depend on the airline and the check in agent.

I actually had to cancel a flight due to zealous check in agent.  My carry on was about 12 kg.  And they insisted on 8.  And I had items that I could not check (due to work rules).   So I canceled and changed flight.  Air France check in people at Dulles airport.  OBNOXIOUS agents.  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

The only time I have had my carry on weighed, was at check in.

So as long as you get through check in, you are home free.

If before check in, they may or may not check it for free.  It will depend on the airline and the check in agent.

I actually had to cancel a flight due to zealous check in agent.  My carry on was about 12 kg.  And they insisted on 8.  And I had items that I could not check (due to work rules).   So I canceled and changed flight.  Air France check in people at Dulles airport.  OBNOXIOUS agents.  

If what I said should happen I should check in at British Airways desks so I see no reason why they shouldn't let me keep the carry on or at least let me check it in for free.

Sometimes they do weight carry ons at the gate but probably only for LCC and I never fly with them. I have also seen it done at security.

Edited by sverigecruiser

All these years travelling for months at a time with just our 20" carry on rollers each and no packing cubes.

Guess we screwed up.  I looked at our bags.  Not certain how we can increase the volume the 37L volume of our bag by using packing cubes. 

Edited by iancal

As others have stated, I use mine less for space saving and more for organization. I travel a lot for work and can sometimes be in two or three hotels in a week. I don't like to unpack everything just for a night or two. I also don't trust the cleanliness of hotel room drawers. I have a cube for undergarments, and another for PJs and workout clothes. Dirty clothes go in a separate bag. These all tend to be small items that scatter easily or could be missed if a TSA person has to open your suitcase. I also am a fan of ziploc bags for a multitude of reasons. One it prevents items from leaking and secondly, the most common items TSA wants to inspect are toiletry or electronic items. I have my 3-1-1 clear baggie for liquids, another ziploc for non-liquid toiletries and another for all the miscellaneous electronic cords and bits. These ziplocs all get packed on top so that if they need to open my bag they can easily search and hopefully leave the rest undisturbed. Having things organized also speeds up any searches. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iancal said:

All these years travelling for months at a time with just our 20" carry on rollers each and no packing cubes.

Guess we screwed up.  I looked at our bags.  Not certain how we can increase the volume the 37L volume of our bag by using packing cubes. 

Nah, you haven't screwed up.  To each his/her own.  For me, it isn't increasing the volume (I travel with my carry on, too), but just keeping everything neat and easy to access.  Sometimes, it does make me cut down on what I'm thinking of taking - if another shirt doesn't fit in the shirt cube or folder, it doesn't go, even if I could just put it on top of everything.   Kind of funny - my clothes in my house are a mess, but I'm a neatnik when I travel!!!

• Like 3