Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ahendricks00

Fresh off Carribbean Princess

Recommended Posts

I actually saw someone  wearing yoga pants and a t shirt in the MDR on formal night. There was absolutely zero dress code enforcement and people wore whatever they wanted. I wore slacks and a sports coat. 

 

As as far as vibration, I spent a good amount of time at the aft pool and didn’t notice anything there. Vibration was pretty noricible in the aft on lower decks, however. I could feel it especially when in club fusion on deck 7 aft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ahendricks00 said:

I actually saw someone  wearing yoga pants and a t shirt in the MDR on formal night.

I never got close to the MDR on formal nights, but on smart casual nights,  I did see men and women in shorts and tshirts going in to sit and eat, so there was no dress code enforcement that I  could tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I have that much experience about all the Princess ships but I'd have to say that the Caribbean Princess is the least formal of the fleet in recent years. On casual evenings they allowed shorts with a Polo shirt (which mads the DH happy) and a Polo with any pair of pants on formal nights in the DR. 

It was the only Princess ship we've seen that allowed shorts in the DR for dinner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As I've mentioned in other threads, on formal night have a DR designated for formal dress and one for casual.  I've always read that the main complaint is not dressing for formal night won't get you the small lobster tail that people want, and don't want to be punished because they don't want to dress up.  Would solve that issue, or have lobster in the buffet.

 

Edit:  by the way, why not offer the DR options in the buffet for those who want it?  Would also seem an easy way to appeal to all, regardless of dress code.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Edit:  by the way, why not offer the DR options in the buffet for those who want it?  Would also seem an easy way to appeal to all, regardless of dress code

 

I believe that is already the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

As I've mentioned in other threads, on formal night have a DR designated for formal dress and one for casual.  I've always read that the main complaint is not dressing for formal night won't get you the small lobster tail that people want, and don't want to be punished because they don't want to dress up.  Would solve that issue, or have lobster in the buffet.

Yes it would but it wold also cause many problems for seating that the cruise line doesn't want to deal with.

I've only seen cold lobster at the buffet one afternoon (Royal Princess) & it was so bad that people were dumping them after one bite.

Edit:  by the way, why not offer the DR options in the buffet for those who want it?  Would also seem an easy way to appeal to all, regardless of dress code.

Princess has in recent years increased the food choices at the buffet to almost match that of the dining rooms (Royal class ships only) but there's always something that they serve only in the DR that draws us there.

Especially the desserts which are ALWAYS better.

If they  wanted to offer the same food choices in both places it really would eliminate all the dress problems that seem to arise on cruise critic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought someone had mentioned a 'training' class on the ship for learning how to use your Medallion capabilities.

 

Was there anything like this on the Caribbean Princess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MarcsSharon said:

Sailed the Caribbean Princess June 8th. Dress code in the MDR was non existent. I was surprised and asked one of the White Coat managers. His response was that since we leave from South Florida - the guests are casual people and while he isn't happy with the relaxed attire - there was nothing to be done about it. Even the Captain was dressed causally at the Captains Cocktail Party - open shirt, no tie.

That said - I really don't care how others choose to dress. I wear what I want and feel comfortable in.

Interesting answer.

We enjoyed the CB's casual attire but not so much the buffet food & it's a main reason why we won't return until they change the buffet back to what it was originally. 

There are to many Princess ships around that have much better food choices for or money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruiserdru said:

Thought someone had mentioned a 'training' class on the ship for learning how to use your Medallion capabilities.

 

Was there anything like this on the Caribbean Princess? 

I'm almost sure in the patter on embarkation day there was a place/time for learning about the medallion features on it after the sail away party, but I don't remember for sure, but I think there was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Yes that is true. Most everything in the MDR is on the buffet. However, People like getting waited on. We usually do the buffet. See what we like, not guess what will we get and will we like it. Great to try a little something you have no idea what it is. Do that in the MDR  I don't think so. Time line also. Not hoping you will get finished or just get up and leave without finishing to get somewhere before it starts. Also, like something and want a bit more. Just get it. No waiting 15 min to get more. So yes for us. Mostly the buffet.

We found that the CB really messed up their food & prep compared to the Crown & Regal Princess. 

We're in no hurry to return to that ship.

If you sail any of the Royal class ships their selections are very close to that of the DR, although not all the same. 

We spent 30 days on the Royal & maybe ate 3 or 4 times in the DR for dinner although we did stop by the DR for dessert only after the shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Interesting answer.

We enjoyed the CB's casual attire but not so much the buffet food & it's a main reason why we won't return until they change the buffet back to what it was originally. 

There are to many Princess ships around that have much better food choices for or money.

We sailed on the Caribbean princess three times. last cruise on there was July 2018 The buffet was excellent. Lots of choices. We will be sailing on the Island and the Sky first of next year. Hope it is good on their?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We enjoyed the CB's casual attire but not so much the buffet food & it's a main reason why we won't return until they change the buffet back to what it was originally.  

There are to many Princess ships around that have much better food choices for or money.

While I agree with you, I think they are moving all ships to the World Market Place concept away from the Horizon Court, at least it's what they are calling it on the Sky and the ones they are remodeling.  Not sure if the WMP is going to be the same as it is on the Caribbean, the royal class ships are larger and have more space, but I would guess they are going to make the horizon bistro the Steamers/Planks area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

While I agree with you, I think they are moving all ships to the World Market Place concept away from the Horizon Court, at least it's what they are calling it on the Sky and the ones they are remodeling.  Not sure if the WMP is going to be the same as it is on the Caribbean, the royal class ships are larger and have more space, but I would guess they are going to make the horizon bistro the Steamers/Planks area.

I really hope not.

I dislike pre-selected items being placed in little cardboard containers with condiments already added on top. 

Talking to one of the sous chefs he seemed to indicate that there were numerous bad comments about the World Market Place & there were not going to expand it to other ships.

Who knows?

So far it's on the CB & Emerald so we just avoid those ships whenever possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

We sailed on the Caribbean princess three times. last cruise on there was July 2018 The buffet was excellent. Lots of choices. We will be sailing on the Island and the Sky first of next year. Hope it is good on their?

That was pre World Fresh Marketplace taking over. So now it is totally different,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going on the CB on July 20th.  Did you take any patter or menu photos?  Also how was the pool deck pizza?  I loved it my first cruise on CB. On Regal and Royal I thought it was gross but because of Alfredo's it didn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So far it's on the CB & Emerald so we just avoid those ships whenever possible.

It's listed as the buffet on the Sky, but who knows if it will be similar to the Caribbean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your time on the Caribbean Princess.  We were on her in May and really thought the ship looked great.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the OP started a wonderful thread about their cruise and thoughts on the Caribbean Princess.........

 

Let's try and leave this thread on track about their cruise and the ship and not about the dress codes....🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Carolyn !   (  Host CJSKIDS )

 

     I  chatted with you  and your husband on  the May 2019 Carib Princess Sail Away at the Outrigger. It was a wonderful cruise. I always enjoy my zumba and line dancing classes. My favorite band Static rocked the piazza every  night. I am looking forward to the   b2b Sky Inaugurals in the beginning of Dec. in the US. and hearing Static play on  that cruise.

   Happy cruising  and I hope our paths cross again in the future !

Sali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruiserdru said:

Thought someone had mentioned a 'training' class on the ship for learning how to use your Medallion capabilities.

 

Was there anything like this on the Caribbean Princess?

 

On Embarkation day: 1:45 pm MedallionClass Orientation. Join your Cruise Director Matt and learn about the wonderful experiences available with your Medallion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amanda384 said:

 Did you take any patter or menu photos?  Also how was the pool deck pizza?

 

I have all the Patters, except for the last day (I wonder where it went). I'll try and post them tomorrow.

 

Pizza is ok. About as memorable as Costco Pizza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Let's try and leave this thread on track about their cruise and the ship and not about the dress codes....🙂

 

I was on the same cruise. Ate in the MDR for dinner on all nights, except at St Thomas where we ate in town since the ship was docked until 10pm. MDR selection is much better than the Buffet for dinner. At the MDR, no dress code enforcement. I was really casual for dinner, except on dress up nights.

 

For breakfast, if they have something you like, the MDR is much better. Sometimes the selection wasn't so great for breakfast, but I could always get a good omelette at Planks. I found out on the last day I could order a custom omelette at the MDR, not just ham and cheese. Bacon was better in the MDR vs the pile in the Buffet. If you want pancakes or french toast, definitely go the the MDR and get a freshly made one, not one that has been sitting around for 30 minutes. Lots of mystery items on the Buffet. Seems like they were trying to use up excess food. The day after serving lobster in the MDR, they had Lobster Crepes for breakfast.

 

On Embarkation day, I missed the MDR because I had to sit around waiting to make a Sanctuary reservation. We ate at the Buffet, and I was hard pressed to find something I wanted to eat. I forgot about going to the back and checking out Planks and Steamers. I could probably have found something there. Or, I should have just got a hamburger from the Grill. For the rest of the week, we ate lunch at the MDR, or on shore.

 

Soft serve Ice Cream wasn't great. It was kind of grainy (ice crystals). Pizza was mediocre too.

 

Edited by richmke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, amanda384 said:

I'm going on the CB on July 20th.  Did you take any patter or menu photos?  Also how was the pool deck pizza?  I loved it my first cruise on CB. On Regal and Royal I thought it was gross but because of Alfredo's it didn't matter.

 

I really disliked the pizza on the Regal the past couple of cruises but thought the pizza on the Caribbean was pretty good in May.  Back to being the pizza that I had always loved on Princess. As a New Yorker, I'm picky about my pizza!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richmke said:

Soft serve Ice Cream wasn't great. It was kind of grainy (ice crystals). 

Thanks for your comments.

 

I call it ice milk and IMO it has always been nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...