Fresh off Carribbean Princess

ahendricks00

3 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Best part was, I was in the Golden for 4 weeks of sailing prior to the CB. The Golden being a much older ship than the other, I had better experiences onboard in certain areas. Go figure. Once again, I'm just simply grateful and blessed I cruise as often as I do. 

Oh, it takes a lot to have me complain. I can put up with pretty much anything but not having decent AC is probably number one. I can work around all the other inconveniences. 

We haven't been on the Golden since a Mexican trip in 1996. :classic_ohmy: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We haven't been on the Golden since a Mexican trip in 1996. :classic_ohmy: 

I'm like you. I always try to go on the new of the new. However, you couldn't beat the price on the Golden for Alaska season. To my surprise, it felt like home like the rest of the princess fleet. Grant you it was missing the spoiled convinced of luxuries I'm use to on Regal. Honestly speaking, the crew onboard are what made my trip. They were a phenomenal bunch, especially the AMAZING matri'd Carlos, and Captain Pears!

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

why ? - different supplier for those 2 new ship ???

new venues ?  food prepared and presented differently ?

Not a different supplier but the Royal class ships just seem to prepare the food much better. We prefer the Royal class prep & layout over the older ships. 

On the Royal class ships for most meals we enjoy the buffet over the DR (expect for formal nights). I doubt we can say that about most of the older ships.

8 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm like you. I always try to go on the new of the new. However, you couldn't beat the price on the Golden for Alaska season. To my surprise, it felt like home like the rest of the princess fleet. Grant you it was missing the spoiled convinced of luxuries I'm use to on Regal. Honestly speaking, the crew onboard are what made my trip. They were a phenomenal bunch, especially the AMAZING matri'd Carlos, and Captain Pears!

Did you attend the over 40 function?

Was it a luncheon or cocktail party? 

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Did you attend the over 40 function?

Was it a luncheon or cocktail party? 

Cocktail Party. It was just okay. I've been to better. The coconut shrimp was yummy though.

Just now, Jeter02 said:

Cocktail Party. It was just okay. I've been to better. The coconut shrimp was yummy though.

We much prefer the luncheons except if it's a Royal class ship then I love the cocktails + buffet in Club 6 although it is difficult to eat at those tables. They usually put out fantastic spread for everyone.

Last cruise on the Regal we were there until the cleanup & the crew were having a party with the leftover food. 

• Like 1

Pizza comments amaze me. I've never had New York pizza but it seems that folks from that area feel they are the arbiters of all that is great about pizza. What makes it so good? Every time I've seen a movie where someone in New York is eating pizza it looks like a totally banal "cheese" or "extra cheese" pizza. Bleh... Is that really representative of pizza in the area? What sort of toppings, sauce, etc. make pizza in New York so great?

I had a fabulous pizza last night: Red Sauce, Whole-Milk Mozzarella, Salami, Premium Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Sliced Mushrooms, Mixed Onions, Black Olives, and Cheddar. I ordered with extra sauce and garlic. It made pizza on Princess look (and taste) like total cr@p.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Pizza comments amaze me. I've never had New York pizza but it seems that folks from that area feel they are the arbiters of all that is great about pizza. What makes it so good? Every time I've seen a movie where someone in New York is eating pizza it looks like a totally banal "cheese" or "extra cheese" pizza. Bleh... Is that really representative of pizza in the area? What sort of toppings, sauce, etc. make pizza in New York so great?

I had a fabulous pizza last night: Red Sauce, Whole-Milk Mozzarella, Salami, Premium Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Sliced Mushrooms, Mixed Onions, Black Olives, and Cheddar. I ordered with extra sauce and garlic. It made pizza on Princess look (and taste) like total cr@p.

Michael,

Next times you guys are in the NY area look me up.  We'll answer your question first hand.  I will tell you this, it ain't necessarily about the toppings. 😉

Hope all is well.

• Like 1

Hello!  I haven't been on Princess for a few years- Will be going at Christmas & New Years this year with my DH.  I'm excited since we have missed Princess.  

A have a few questions.

Medallions..... I read a little about them- What should I know about them/recommendation for use?  DH is NOT techy, I am more- but not really.  Anything you can tell a newbie is appreciated.

What can you tell me about the World Market? And Planks?

Any don't miss things you can tell me?

THANKS!

Gabriellle

1 minute ago, msmoger said:

Michael,

Next times you guys are in the NY area look me up.  We'll answer your question first hand.  I will tell you this, it ain't necessarily about the toppings. 😉

Hope all is well.

the water in the dough is the secret, right ?

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not a different supplier but the Royal class ships just seem to prepare the food much better. We prefer the Royal class prep & layout over the older ships. 

On the Royal class ships for most meals we enjoy the buffet over the DR (expect for formal nights). I doubt we can say that about most of the older ships.

I would agree with this overall.  Have been on the CB twice since it was switched over to WMP, and the food quality overall is worse than on the royal class ships. With that said, I didn't starve either time.

Just now, voljeep said:

the water in the dough is the secret, right ?

I can make coffee, pretty much it .... haha

The only thing I know is the crust needs to be thin and a little crisp.  Any of the places commonly mentioned in the "best" pizza lists in the New York area tend to follow this pattern.  However, there are many other factors and styles which are important and great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I would agree with this overall.  Have been on the CB twice since it was switched over to WMP, and the food quality overall is worse than on the royal class ships. With that said, I didn't starve either time.

After going on a Royal class ship there's no going back to the food on the CB for us. There's no comparison in our eyes. 

20 minutes ago, Gabrielle R. said:

Hello!  I haven't been on Princess for a few years- Will be going at Christmas & New Years this year with my DH.  I'm excited since we have missed Princess.  

A have a few questions.

Medallions..... I read a little about them- What should I know about them/recommendation for use?  DH is NOT techy, I am more- but not really.  Anything you can tell a newbie is appreciated.

What can you tell me about the World Market? And Planks?

Any don't miss things you can tell me?

THANKS!

Gabriellle

To be fair, I think the world market buffet is a huge step up from Princesses older ships and their lido buffet. Presentation and quality has definitely improved, with a wide array of selection different daily. The decor and design was smartly done, giving a warm cozy family oriented vibe.(Still incomparable to the their Royal class ships). Some unique funded in the WM are,  In the morning you can find a variety of fresh fruit / vegetable smoothie drinks. Planks and steamers are open as a normal buffet for breakfast and lunch. At steamers / planks they offer a create your own omlette station where you fill a cup with all the ingredients you'd like. For lunch which I thought was neat wAs as steamers and planks they have your make your own take meals. for example they would have a day where it was make your own stir fry and then they had a ramen noodle bar where you just put all your ingredients in a bowl new hand it to them and they cook it and they give you a pager until your meal is done. It was pretty quickly made. I just thought it was very unique. each day at the world market it's a different destination theme. P.S. one of my most favorite food finds with the day they did Asian cuisine and they had the most amazing kung pao chicken and there vegetable spring rolls were amazing. I never really do doubles but I definitely had like triples of that it was amazing.

Typically on older princess ships especially those that don't have the world market usually you can find me for breakfast lunch and dinner strictly in the main dining room for sit-down meals because I can't stand the layout and the lack of variety of food. Usually I find nothing up there to my liking. but on board the caribbean princess I would just do my dinner in the main dining room cuz I was able to get along just fine for breakfast and lunch in the buffet. 

also keep in mind they upgraded the pizzeria to slice and they upgraded Trident grill the burgers to salty dog. So they have great selections over there as well that are unique.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Why don't you ave them make it for you the way you like it? I do. They are always excellent.

27 minutes ago, msmoger said:

The only thing I know is the crust needs to be thin and a little crisp.

Definitely not my favorite style of crust. It's not a bad thing that people aren't all the same. 🍕

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Definitely not my favorite style of crust. It's not a bad thing that people aren't all the same. 🍕

You like thin they will roll it to be that way. I l;like the hand tossed type. So I have them use the same amount but make it smaller for me.

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

On the CB where would one do that pray tell.  🤔

On the Regal a handful of times, the pizza guys up on the lido have offered to make me a personalized pizza. With whatever I wanted on it. This came after I asked why they had to put ham on one of their specialties (which I can't eat) along with all the other goodness ontop. That's when they said they would always be more than happy to make me my own private little pizza. Always do kind, but also it could be based on his making it I don't know.

Also at Alfredo's they're amazing at customizing a pizza for you as well. No questions ever asked, always with a smile.

Edited by Jeter02
Error

Just now, Jeter02 said:

On the Regal a handful of times, the pizza guys up on the lido have offered to make me a personalized pizza. With whatever I wanted on it. This came after I asked why they had to put ham on one of their specialties (which I can't eat) along with all the other goodness ontop. That's when they said they would always be more than happy to make me my own private little pizza. Always do kind, but also it could be based on his making it I don't know.

Correct. that is the same on any cruise ship. Unless they are extremely busy. many in line waiting That makes sense.

12 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Correct. that is the same on any cruise ship. Unless they are extremely busy. many in line waiting That makes sense.

is this DH or DW ?

Edited by voljeep
  • Haha 1