Advice on Restaurants - First time QM on NYC to SH

JohnoClark

32 minutes ago, JohnoClark said:

We booked a balcony Cabin.

What restaurants/ food services are included?

I read thread about special requests - what does that cover?

Any advice on the various options would be appreciated

You may want to also check the dining and faq links on the Cunard “voyage personalizer” - and some of the ‘sticky’ postings at the top of this forum.

Assuming you are in a Britannia balcony, your fare includes :

• A dinner seating in the main dining room, breakfast and lunch in the main dining room.
  • Room service is available 24 hours a day (sometimes only 23 on eastbound TAs, or 25 on westbound)
  • The Kings Court buffet always has something available.
  • The Golden Lion pub lunch
  • The Carthenia cafe has ‘small plates’
  • The Boardwalk is open during nice weather 

Coffee, tea and non-fizzy soft drinks are also included.

Special needs (e.g. food allergies) can be arranged in advance. I did a behind the scenes tour, and saw that about a quarter of the Britannia galley was devoted to special needs/requests. This included a chef visiting our table nightly to clear the next nights dinner menu.

Johno, I presume you booked a Britannia Balcony, not a Britannia Club. Your assigned dining room will the the Britannia. If you booked Britannia Club your assigned dining room will be the Britannia Club. You can also eat lunch in the Pub, or the Carinthia at no additional charge. You can also eat in the Kings Court Buffet at no additional charge. Britannia has early and late dinner sittings. Britannia Grill is eat on your schedule when they are open. 

Additional charge restaurants are those sections (not all) of the Kings Court that become specialty restaurants in the evenings. These feature, Asian, Indian, Mediterranean and other cuisines. You need to make a reservation and there is a modest additional charge.

The Vernadah Restaurant is Cunard's high end additional charge restaurant. If you are on QM 2, there is also the Boardwalk Cafe on 12 aft open for outdoor dining in good weather. Think hot dog, hamburger, fries etc. 

Off menu special requests are usually found only in the Queens Grill level of accommodation, though posters here will tell you they have had good luck in the Britannia and Princess Grill at getting off menu items. 

I think you will find the selection in the Britannia to be excellent. So try it first and see if you like it.

If you go to the FAQ section of this forum, you will find sample menus for many restaurants.  Bon Voyage

2 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

You may want to also check the dining and faq links on the Cunard “voyage personalizer” - and some of the ‘sticky’ postings at the top of this forum.

Assuming you are in a Britannia balcony, your fare includes :

• A dinner seating in the main dining room, breakfast and lunch in the main dining room.
  • Room service is available 24 hours a day (sometimes only 23 on eastbound TAs, or 25 on westbound)
  • The Kings Court buffet always has something available.
  • The Golden Lion pub lunch
  • The Carthenia cafe has ‘small plates’
  • The Boardwalk is open during nice weather 

Coffee, tea and non-fizzy soft drinks are also included.

Special needs (e.g. food allergies) can be arranged in advance. I did a behind the scenes tour, and saw that about a quarter of the Britannia galley was devoted to special needs/requests. This included a chef visiting our table nightly to clear the next nights dinner menu.

Bear, we are apparently of the same mind. I was composing my offering just as you did and you posted first. 

17 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Off menu special requests are usually found only in the Queens Grill level of accommodation, though posters here will tell you they have had good luck in the Britannia and Princess Grill at getting off menu items. 

Like other lines, Cunard has always-available selections in the main dining room (Britannia). Unlike other lines, Cunard doesn't publish the always-available items in the daily menus. Perhaps it's to let Britannia guests feel like they're ordering off-menu, who knows?

The always available items include (perhaps I've missed one or two).

• Caesar salad
  • Shrimp cocktail (not the jumbo shrimp you might expect, but not all that bad)
  • Sirloin Steak
  • Chicken breast
  • Salmon Fillet
  • Steamed vegetable plate

Others have said they've been able to get a listing of the always available items from a waiter. We've just learned about them over time.

7 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Like other lines, Cunard has always-available selections in the main dining room (Britannia). Unlike other lines, Cunard doesn't publish the always-available items in the daily menus. Perhaps it's to let Britannia guests feel like they're ordering off-menu, who knows?

The always available items include (perhaps I've missed one or two).

• Caesar salad
  • Shrimp cocktail (not the jumbo shrimp you might expect, but not all that bad)
  • Sirloin Steak
  • Chicken breast
  • Salmon Fillet
  • Steamed vegetable plate

Others have said they've been able to get a listing of the always available items from a waiter. We've just learned about them over time.

I believe these,were listed in the daily programme one day near the beginning of our last voyage.

49 minutes ago, Gary999 said:

Here are my photos of the Britannia À Carte  I hope they are useful  C4150FB2-D7FA-4626-8EBC-B3F5DB5E04A6.thumb.jpeg.bfc75ac5b4c21761ba671afe9e5d600c.jpeg5D9A3C57-CC6C-4EA8-BE74-F206A6A60125.thumb.jpeg.6b0b4692c41b927e465df4df00697b18.jpeg

Garry,

In 30 years of sailing with Cunard, on 10 different ships, I have never seen that menu.

I was aware of what was on it, I’ve ordered some of the dishes on occasion, but I’ve never seen it in print.

Thank you, Colin.

• Like 2