Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Dogma4

Insight requested...all cabins for late Sept. 28 day sailing. on Amsterdam are GTY

Recommended Posts

Greetings....been awhile since we did a guarantee (after an awful experience) but we are seriously considering a long trip to/from San Diego.  Our agent has contacted HAL and every cabin in every class is a GTY.  We are worried even an EE oceanview could result in us being in the furthest aft reaches of the ship.  Any thoughts about the situation (why all GTY, for example) most appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dogma4 said:

Greetings....been awhile since we did a guarantee (after an awful experience) but we are seriously considering a long trip to/from San Diego.  Our agent has contacted HAL and every cabin in every class is a GTY.  We are worried even an EE oceanview could result in us being in the furthest aft reaches of the ship.  Any thoughts about the situation (why all GTY, for example) most appreciated.

We booked our 28 night HAL Hawaii/Tahiti cruise 15 months out.  All rooms in the categories we were looking at were in GTY status at that time.  We didn't get a room assignment until about 2 weeks out.

 

We booked a G category and were assigned an E.  Sure, we were pretty much in the back of the ship, but there were really no issues with that. It was quiet and a smooth ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dogma4 said:

Greetings....been awhile since we did a guarantee (after an awful experience) but we are seriously considering a long trip to/from San Diego.  Our agent has contacted HAL and every cabin in every class is a GTY.  We are worried even an EE oceanview could result in us being in the furthest aft reaches of the ship.  Any thoughts about the situation (why all GTY, for example) most appreciated.

A bit unusual to be sure.  Usually this situation occurs when either the ship is pretty well sold out OR your cruise is part of a longer cruise (happens alot on Pacific Coastals).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is part of a multi-stop Pacific cruise....we are really concerned that even an EE will end up being all the way aft, over the engines (though not sure how to judge at this stage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dogma4 said:

This is part of a multi-stop Pacific cruise....we are really concerned that even an EE will end up being all the way aft, over the engines (though not sure how to judge at this stage).

 

If you are worried about being over the engines and cost, could you pick the lowest category that does not have any cabins over the engines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PSR said:

 

If you are worried about being over the engines and cost, could you pick the lowest category that does not have any cabins over the engines?

Good advice, if you have to book a guarantee, be sure to book a category where any cabins in that category (or even a higher one) would at least be "OK" with you.  Easier said than done of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going up to an “E” with hope we don’t get a “DA” over showroom....the bump up to anything above a “DA” is more than we want to spend. Thoughts appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried a dummy booking and selecting a room yourself?  This is what I would do to confirm whether it was possible or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No dummy bookings possible as ALL categories are GTY which has been confirmed twice by our TA!  Decided to bail as we did not want to take risk of getting one of those DAs above showroom...….could have spent a few hundred more each but to get a "D" but...…….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...