Celebrity Newbie - What can you tell me about Summit? lol

CruzerDeb

I've just booked my first cruise on Celebrity - will be visiting the southern Caribbean aboard the Summit.  It looks like a beautiful ship and I see it has been recently upgraded.  I've spent a few hours looking over things on the website, but did not see answers to a few questions:

1.  Can I carry on a bottle of wine?  Can I carry on soft drinks?  (I was able to do so on Carnival and Princess)

2.  Can I order bottled water for the room?  All I see are drink packages and wine/liguor.

3.  We're concierge class, so I know there are extra perks.  What did you find the most beneficial?

4.  I've had a hard time finding a list of free v. pay restaurants on board.  MDR, Mast, Buffet are free.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your patience with me as I navigate this new-to-me cruise line.  You can bet I'll be doing lots of reading here. 

1.Start with reading reviews....there are scores of them.

2. Then spend time reading through the whole FAQ on the Celebrity website.  It’s a horrible website, but the FAQ does contain a lot of useful information

3. Search here on Cruise critic and you will find that many of the commonly asked questions have been answered and you will find what you need here.

summit is new and improved.  Have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

1.Start with reading reviews....there are scores of them.

2. Then spend time reading through the whole FAQ on the Celebrity website.  It’s a horrible website, but the FAQ does contain a lot of useful information

3. Search here on Cruise critic and you will find that many of the commonly asked questions have been answered and you will find what you need here.

summit is new and improved.  Have a great cruise.

Awesome.  Thanks for not actually answering any of my questions. 

• Like 2

I also would suggest that you read the reviews for Summit.

Two bottles of wine per stateroom (not per person) can be carried on board.  And unlimited water and soda can also be carried on board

If you want to order bottled water for the room I am curious as to whether you have a beverage package.

We essentially book Aqua Class, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites, so no great insights into Concierge Class.

And since it seems to be so hard for you to determine the no additional fee restaurants, please look at the MDR, Aqua Spa Cafe, buffet, Mast Grill, and non  beverage offerings at the Cafe al Bacio.

23 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

PS: I consider  "cruisesitich" to be a friend.  We are both members of the Zenith level Captain's Club.  K doesn't make sarcastic comments on this board, nor does she in person.  K is a "class act."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I also would suggest that you read the reviews for Summit.

Two bottles of wine per stateroom (not per person) can be carried on board.  And unlimited water and soda can also be carried on board

If you want to order bottled water for the room I am curious as to whether you have a beverage package.

We essentially book Aqua Class, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites, so no great insights into Concierge Class.

And since it seems to be so hard for you to determine the no additional fee restaurants, please look at the MDR, Aqua Spa Cafe, buffet, Mast Grill, and non  beverage offerings at the Cafe al Bacio.

PS: I consider  "cruisesitich" to be a friend.  We are both members of the Zenith level Captain's Club.  K doesn't make sarcastic comments on this board, nor does she in person.  K is a "class act."

Thank you.  Yes, I've figured out the non-fee restaurants and no, I'm not buying a beverage package.  This itinerary is pretty port-intensive and I don't feel like I'd get my money's worth out of a package.  I think Celebrity is having some website problems today; most of the links I click on give me an error message.  At this point, I'm unable to even complete my personal information for my booking.  I've already read many reviews, but have yet to see being able to carry on wine and/or soft drinks mentioned.

I will try to answer question #3 .

My DH and I sailed on the Summit last July in a Conceierge cabin.

We did not find the “perks” to be that impressive.

The best one,perhaps, was preferred boarding in that we 

did not have to wait long before being allowed onboard at embarkation.

The room / balcony was a bit larger than a regular category balcony.

I did appreciate the Ghilcrest and Soames toiletries that our steward replaced daily. I am not certain what brand of toiletries are now given to passengers in Conceierge cabins.

We found the afternoon snacks to be wanting and something we could do without,except for a delivery of chocolate covered strawberries.

We were invited to the helipad for the sail away from Bermuda.It was an interesting experience, but I  think the Sunset Bar area affords better views of Bermuda during sail away.

I did notice that most of the cruises you have taken have been booked on Carnival ships.

I think you will find the Summit to be an  elegant,relaxing ship  The cruise may be quite different from any of those Carnival cruises.

I hope you enjoy the ship and wish you a Bon Voyage!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruzerDeb said:

I believe c did 'actually' answer you questions.. you were pointed on how to find the best answers to your questions.

Seeing that your sailing most likely is not for a few months out, there is plenty of time to do the necessary research, as indicated for the best answers, beforehand...

While you may be new to X, it appears that you are not new to CC... as such the input received works here for just about any cruise line for which one wants info on.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

I have been on the Summit many times, particularly sailing out of San Juan.

You can carry on two bottles of wine upon embarkation. If you purchase additional bottles of wine in any port there is a strong possibility that it will be held until the night before disembarkation.

If you are overnighting in San Juan there are many locations on Isla Verde and Old San Juan that sell soft drinks and water. You can tape a luggage tag on case lots and check these in with your luggage. The Evian litre that will be in your cabin is $5 but you can purchase 12 -16 oz bottles at any bar or in the tender/port exit area. I don't have a current price. FYI, the water in the cabin is perfectly fine to drink.

When we used to stay in the Concierge cabins the biggest perk was the enhanced breakfast menu. It is much better than the standard menu if you want to have breakfast in your cabin. Talk to your cabin steward about the other options for the afternoon canapes.

Celebrity is much better when you board than any miserable experience you might have with their website. 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I think perhaps if you're looking for information and answers to your questions, it would be prudent to park your sarcasm at the door.  Everyone here, including cruisestitch, are trying to help you.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I think perhaps if you're looking for information and answers to your questions, it would be prudent to park your sarcasm at the door.  Everyone here, including cruisestitch, are trying to help you.  Thank you.

You are right. I apologize if I came off a little short.  After researching for 5 hours, I thought I'd ask a few simple questions for which I couldn't find the answers and being told to do my research instead of someone just answering the question rankled a bit.

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The advice to read Celebrity's FAQ was a good one. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/guest-account

Be sure to click on "View More FAQs" in each section or you won't see them all.

From the Items Not Allowed Onboard section:

Q. Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

A. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

• Thanks 1

Here's a recent thread that discusses soda & water policy.  Celebrity does not sell cases of water for delivery to your room, AFAIK.  They only sell individual bottles, either through the minibar in the room or at any bar.  There will probably be some on the counter in your room with a tag noting that they're not free.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2672510-2019-policy-re-bringing-soda-aboard/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

I've just booked my first cruise on Celebrity - will be visiting the southern Caribbean aboard the Summit.  It looks like a beautiful ship and I see it has been recently upgraded.  I've spent a few hours looking over things on the website, but did not see answers to a few questions:

1.  Can I carry on a bottle of wine?  Can I carry on soft drinks?  (I was able to do so on Carnival and Princess)

2.  Can I order bottled water for the room?  All I see are drink packages and wine/liguor.

3.  We're concierge class, so I know there are extra perks.  What did you find the most beneficial? About those Perks in case you could not find the list.

4.  I've had a hard time finding a list of free v. pay restaurants on board.  MDR, Mast, Buffet are free.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your patience with me as I navigate this new-to-me cruise line.  You can bet I'll be doing lots of reading here. 

In about 17 minutes I found these items on X's website to answer those questions in Red...

A search here, with various search terms, it may take up to 22 or 25 minutes to find the other answers.

Question #2 will be through room service only, I believe.

Question #3 those who have sailed in Concierge Class will possibly chime in or doing a search there are quite a few posts concerning this, both likes and dislikes of this class..

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Room service is included.  They even deliver MDR food during dinner service hours.

As far as delivery of MDR food during dinner service hours, can this be done in regular veranda cabins as well or must you be in concierge?

Didn't realize having dinner in room was an option...(other than regular room service menu items)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

As far as has been reported recently, any cabin can order lunch or dinner from the MDR menu when it is open.  I have done it in the past but it is reported to be available now as well.

Great to know...thanks!

Sorry the OP didn't like my answer as I was attempting to follow on to this "Thanks for your patience with me as I navigate this new-to-me cruise line.  You can bet I'll be doing lots of reading here." and give advice as to where to do some of that reading:

I guess I mis-read the intent of the OP's post -- I thought she wanted to know more about navigating the cruise line's information, which is why I suggested finding the FAQ, which is often overlooked.  The answers to many questions are found there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

In about 17 minutes I found these items on X's website to answer those questions in Red...

A search here, with various search terms, it may take up to 22 or 25 minutes to find the other answers.

Question #2 will be through room service only, I believe.

Question #3 those who have sailed in Concierge Class will possibly chime in or doing a search there are quite a few posts concerning this, both likes and dislikes of this class..

bon voyage

Thanks, Bo1953!

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Sorry the OP didn't like my answer as I was attempting to follow on to this "Thanks for your patience with me as I navigate this new-to-me cruise line.  You can bet I'll be doing lots of reading here." and give advice as to where to do some of that reading:

I guess I mis-read the intent of the OP's post -- I thought she wanted to know more about navigating the cruise line's information, which is why I suggested finding the FAQ, which is often overlooked.  The answers to many questions are found there.

Thank you for your help, cruisestitch.