Carnival Magic - Just returned, any questions? Review coming soon!

Debbierpof

42 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From my experience the aft pool being adult only applies to Conquest class ships and Victory now. I have cruised on Magic and Breeze multiple times and the aft pool has never been adult only during these cruises. 

Thank you! This will be our first time on Carnival so I'm trying to figure out all the little details like this 🙂

22 hours ago, dctravel said:

We are on the same itinerary in about 7 weeks! We are debating where to pay for a snorkel excursion in Grand Turk, Curacao, or Aruba. Would love to know what you did and whether you used a Carnival excursion or a private party!

Thanks!

This was my angst. In the end, we did it on our own. To be clear, we have gone SCUBA diving and snorkeling in Grand Turk in the past. While I loved our time at Governor's Beach (just outside of the Grand Turk Cruise Center past the shipwreck), I would suggest you pay for a tour to the wall. It's really spectacular. We used Oasis Divers three years ago (can't recall if we went through Carnival or contact them on our own). They're very reputable.

We did Curacao and Aruba on our own. In my opinion, these can be done on your own -- the ABC islands are known for their shore dives. The locations we considered but didn't go to (and hope to be able to return to experience) are:

ARUBA - Arashi Beach, Mangel Halto (should be a strong swimmer), Catalina Beach. I would love to go to the Antilla Wreck which requires a boat tour. 

CURACAO - If we had more time, we would have gone to the Tugboat, but it was further away than we wanted to go. But it's supposed to be a really good spot. The other great spots I've read about all seem to be very far (so tour probably recommended). Mambo Beach seems like a good alternative. I've attached visuals/maps of where we went. Most of the recommended locations (on the internet) are all far north, with the exception of Tugboat.

Hope this was helpful. :-)

Curacao Snorkeling 1.jpg

Curacao Snorkeling 2.jpg

17 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking at the Dive Bus for my 2021 cruise which returns to Curacao.  I have vague plans of getting scuba certified on that cruise, and the port hours are a little better.  Sounds like you had an awesome day.  

If you are looking at getting OW, you will need more than one port (at least with PADI) as you cannot do 4 training dives in one day.  

On 7/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, Weeziblu said:

We're sailing Magic in a few weeks!  Looking forward to  your review!  Any feedback on the current CD?

You'll have a fantastic time! We didn't participate in many on-board activities or attend any shows (I know, I know...). But Simon London was a delight!  He was funny and kind with my daughter -- in the end, he made her feel special so that's all I cared about. 🙂   Lovely Jubbly!

Here's where you can find all of the Carnival cruise directors (per John Heald):

https://airtable.com/shrxzucqLGHbpDmm8/tblZJCAW6us7UhDmZ?blocks=hide

Carnival Magic - Simon London.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, dreamv said:

We are going next week. My daughter would appreciate any info on club O2. She’s curious if you have name of camp director for it? Thx

My son did Club O2, although I think he spent more time playing basketball. 🙂  I'll check to see what info I have at home and post later.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:37 PM, dani85bri06 said:

What night was the electric white hot party?  

The White Hot  Night Party was on Tuesday (first day at sea) at 10:15 pm in the Magic Lobby and the after-party was at 11 pm at the Vibe Nightclub. We set sail on a Saturday. Hope this helps!

30 minutes ago, rukkian said:

If you are looking at getting OW, you will need more than one port (at least with PADI) as you cannot do 4 training dives in one day.  

Agree with rukkian. Grand Turk would be a great place to start those four (4) required supervised dives. On your last port you'll be certified! Make sure you get those confined/basic skills dives done before you cruise. I'm hoping to have our teens certified for our next cruise! They've done discover SCUBA twice... 

Just now, Debbierpof said:

Agree with rukkian. Grand Turk would be a great place to start those four (4) required supervised dives. On your last port you'll be certified! Make sure you get those confined/basic skills dives done before you cruise. I'm hoping to have our teens certified for our next cruise! They've done discover SCUBA twice... 

My son and I got certified after doing discover in cozumel last year.  Just did my aow in Key largo last month.  We will be on this same itin in March, so looking forward to diving at either Grand Turks or Curacao.

3 hours ago, Debbierpof said:

The Steakhouse is great and offers an appetizer that pairs steak tartar with bone marrow (delicious - it's what I ordered). 🙂

We were in 12042 - quiet hallway, easy access to every place on board, and very friendly steward (very long, difficult name to pronounce).  Don't forget to ask for your complimentary scrub kit at the Spa front desk. Complimentary for spa deck rooms.

Do you have an pics or video of the12042  stateroom? Any complaints of a musty/moldy smell? I am in that room in October?

5 hours ago, khidhala said:

How is the privacy and/or shade on the 12th floor balconies?  

Non-existent. Actually, half the day it’s shaded. 😂 Privacy not really an issue. You have to really lean into the rail to see people (in the first two balconies which includes 12042). No walkway near the other rooms. 

BTW - my husband was pointing at a shark as we left Half Moon Cay. 😳

9536E217-B4BB-4AD1-921D-FD7A88EAD041.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Debbierpof said:

We actually drove from North Florida to Ft. Lauderdale so I can't help with the transfers. Port Everglades is a great port, it was certainly much more pleasant than our experience last year at Port of Miami. 

Aruba snorkeling - Even though we brought our own snorkeling and dive gear, we didn't do much in Aruba (we rented ATVs). We went to Baby Beach and Rodgers Beach (next to each other). There were sea turtles in Rodgers Beach (grassy/sandy bottom) so we just went snorkeled around looking for them -- saw some but they were too quick to get pictures. 🙂 If had to do it again, we would have gone up to Arashi Beach instead.

Look forward to your full review. thanks for the info on all the answered questions in this stream

1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

Look forward to your full review. thanks for the info on all the answered questions in this stream

Thanks! Happy to "pay-it-forward"! CruiseCritic member posts have helped us through our years of cruising. 🙂 

11 hours ago, firedisney97 said:

Can I see one for Circle C also please?  My 13yo and my husband are going on the Magic in Feb (without me, boo-hoo) and he would love to see what goes on

Here's the Circle C Activity Schedule. And it's ages 12-14 (I had written 13-14). 

Carnival Magic - Circle C.jpg

I see you had several journeys on Conquest-class ships prior to this jump to Dream class.  I have also seen many reviews from folks who say they like Dream class best of all of Carnival's fleet, even more than the newer Vista class. So, I would like to know, what about Magic felt like an upgrade / improvement over Conquest class, and what, if anything, did you think Conquest class does better?

1. How does the decor on Magic compare with Conquest ships?

2. Overall flow and layout of the ship comparison?

3. Any significant differences between teen club venue or management?

4. Entertainment comparison?

5. Dining quality comparison - both included and upcharges?

6. Crowd management in dining areas (especially Lido Buffet) and public spaces like pool, showtime, trivia?

7. Anything else better or worse, even if you feel it is the sort of little quirky stuff that is just personal preference?

Sorry if this is too demanding.  We sailed the former Triumph out of New Orleans. It is one of the closest options if we don't want to fly.  DH was interested in Vista class, but I told him the reviews are quite uneven and Dream class seems better loved. . . but Glory and Valor are in NOLA, and often better priced than either Dream or Vista class, so I'm not sure I want to rule them out entirely.

Edited by KmomChicago

Did you have stackhouse reservations before boarding? I have submitted at least 6 request for our August cruise and no conformation on a single request. We are a party of 2 wondering If it will be possible to do on board.  Hopefully they keep a few spots open for on board reservations. 

20 hours ago, rukkian said:

Yes that's ultimately my goal.  I was hoping to do 2 dives in Aruba, and possibly 1 each in Bonaire and Curacao (that way if something goes wrong on our Aruba day hopefully we have time to adjust).  But, the person I'm waiting to get certified with is really hesitant about this whole thing, so I'm honestly not sure it'll happen.  I'd do it at home and be certified for our cruises if it were 100% my call.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, TakemeOnACruise said:

Do you have an pics or video of the12042  stateroom? Any complaints of a musty/moldy smell? I am in that room in October?

I think this is a typical balcony stateroom - different colors/decor - obviously not as large as a suite. Loved the location. No complaints. We enjoyed it! 🙂 

Carnival Magic - 12042.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ahays00 said:

Did you have stackhouse reservations before boarding? I have submitted at least 6 request for our August cruise and no conformation on a single request. We are a party of 2 wondering If it will be possible to do on board.  Hopefully they keep a few spots open for on board reservations. 

We made our reservations 2 or 3 days into the sailing. I would recommend making them when you embark. 

• Thanks 1

First, thanks for all your input. I'll definitely read the full review. You mentioned Chef's Table. We're reserved for the 8 nighter leaving next weekend. Which night was CT held. Any words of wisdom / advice? We're really excited about it.

8 hours ago, mmb3124 said:

First, thanks for all your input. I'll definitely read the full review. You mentioned Chef's Table. We're reserved for the 8 nighter leaving next weekend. Which night was CT held. Any words of wisdom / advice? We're really excited about it.

This was our fourth or fifth Chef's Table. They had three CTs. Advice? Don't eat all the olives! 🙂 Sorry, that became an inside joke - and you'll understand why after your CT.  Words of wisdom - pace yourself. 🙂 If you've never done a CT, it's a 3 hour event and definitely worth it!