Live from Summit

Water709

Set sail today from Bayonne to Bermuda.  This is our 5th time in Summit.  Last year sailed from Bayonne to Bermuda and New England.  Loved it so much we came back again this year.  

We have the same cabin as last year (Sky Suite, same room).  Big changes post revolutionization!   Cabin is brighter but seems smaller without the wall of mirrors.  We miss the coffee table. Not sure where the butler will put room service. 

Disappointed that flowers and wine we paid to have in our cabin today (as well as chocolate strawberries) required repeated inquiries to have delivered. Still waiting on some items which should’ve been in our cabin upon departure and were paid for well ahead of time.  No flowers and chocolate strawberries did not arrive until after 10 pm and repeated requests.

When we got to port in Bayonne before boarding, and our luggage was taken by the stevedores (whom we tip generously) we were told we could not bring our case of bottled water onboard as luggage which we have done previously.  BIG DISAPPOINTMENT as I have a kidney issue which requires me to drink lots of water constantly and it has never been an issue checking a case of water with a luggage tag on it before (ships luggage tag).  

Otherwise the renovations seem fine, but there is less storage space in our suite. The Retreat is very nice too, tho we liked Michaels Club, it’s still a nice quiet place with great service.  

Just a heads up that bringing a case of water aboard this time was forbidden. 😕. So far a lot of things are falling thru the cracks. We booked this cruise far ahead of time for a big anniversary which is on 7/9.  Hope things improve.  Please no flaming on this post; Im just reporting on our experience so far.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to review.  We will be sailing Oct 6, so any news about the "new" Summit is welcome.  I had read about the water at Bayonne.  I wonder is this a port authority rule or Celebrity's?  I hope you enjoy your cruise in spite of this.

Just now, bookitdanno said:

Question.

Was bringing the water on board forbidden, or was treating is as luggage forbidden?

Could you bring it on board as a carry on?

The stevedore said you could carry it on, but we had a case and it was too heavy for us to carry it into the terminal after parking, etc.  Later I was thinking if you put the case inside a travel bad we probably could have had it brought onboard as luggage. Just never had to do that before.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water709 said:

The stevedore said you could carry it on, but we had a case and it was too heavy for us to carry it into the terminal after parking, etc.  Later I was thinking if you put the case inside a travel bad we probably could have had it brought onboard as luggage. Just never had to do that before.  

I guess that it was just a matter of time before this happened.

The luggage is ultimately handled by your room steward, so if everyone brought a case of water on board,

they would have a thousand cases of water in addition to the luggage to deal with.

If I was a room steward, I think I would say "Enough!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Water709 said:

Can you order water thru Celebrity and have it delivered to your room (same as you would wine or alcohol)?

Looking forward to following you along for the trip!

Here are photos of the Summit leaving NY Harbor yesterday.  The ship was really moving fast compared the the NCL Escape and Queen Mary 2 later that afternoon.

48227053111_83fc36fa6c_o.jpg

48227113412_94c0963e5f_o.jpg

48227113227_f7f9753524_o.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for the ongoing review and pictures.  That inside sofa looks pretty uncomfortable to me.

Seating doesn’t seem to be a strong point of the revolution.  The new chair in the AQ cabin was uncomfortable.  From the pictures of the SS looks like the chair doesn’t fit under the desk, the milk carton like seating on the patio combined with the, park bench and wooden straight chairs don’t spell relax on your veranda in my book.

The PH on tge Summit has the same milk carton seating🙄

• Like 3

The Captain just announced that there’s a medical emergency, and we’re heading back towards the US for a helicopter evacuation.  Not sure of our current position, but I presume it’ll be somewhere around Maryland or Virginia (don’t think we’re south enough for North Carolina.)

2 hours ago, Water709 said:

Sorry you could not take your water onboard! Esp for a medical need

Thanks for the heads up...we have a wheelie type cooler bag for drinks and food that we use for the pool at our condo..We can  probably use that for some water

( just a 6 pack), V8  and  canned soda etc.  We have the Classic package but disliked the new metal water btls on EDGE....always nice to have a few cans of soda and V 8 in the cabin.

Hope they would not turn it away at the scanner?????

Hope others will share their Bayonne/ Summit check in experiences...

31 minutes ago, I_r_a said:

Would I be wrong to suggest that the new furnishings are designed for ascetic monks on a religious retreat?

Ira

The suite size is very nice, and the balcony looks great,  but the  decor screams college dorm/ frat decor.  It may be modern but I do not see much luxury!

TV seems a distance from the bed..would prefer to watch tv from a sofa. 

OP... hope service in cabin improves as to flowers etc,  HAPPY ANNIV!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

The Captain just announced that there’s a medical emergency, and we’re heading back towards the US for a helicopter evacuation.  Not sure of our current position, but I presume it’ll be somewhere around Maryland or Virginia (don’t think we’re south enough for North Carolina.)

I hope that passenger is okay!

Thank you for your live post.   Following along.

Sorry to hear you were unable to bring water aboard.   Wonder if it was just the Stevedore or an actual regulation.    I ran into a problem in Singapore and the Stevedore refused to accept my over-stuffed suite bag because it did not have wheels on it.  I ended up having to carry it aboard myself.   Wasn't impressed.

The furniture in the sky suite screams cheap, cheap, cheap.  Some of it looks like it was picked up on curbside, placed there by someone who was upgrading their furniture after getting a real job.

On the basis of these pictures I will never book a sky suite.

Barbara

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, barbels said:

The furniture in the sky suite screams cheap, cheap, cheap.  Some of it looks like it was picked up on curbside, placed there by someone who was upgrading their furniture after getting a real job.

On the basis of these pictures I will never book a sky suite.

Barbara

Big features for suite is really the perks , luminae for meals and suite lounge open from early morning till late night with great drinks.  Suite is not that impressive.

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Looking forward to following you along for the trip!

Here are photos of the Summit leaving NY Harbor yesterday.  The ship was really moving fast compared the the NCL Escape and Queen Mary 2 later that afternoon.

48227053111_83fc36fa6c_o.jpg

48227113412_94c0963e5f_o.jpg

48227113227_f7f9753524_o.jpg

Sorry to repeat these photos but wanted to let Pistol Pete know how much I enjoy them..  Great lighting and perspective...Have you submitted any to CC  where they post photos at bottom of the page..

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sorry to repeat these photos but wanted to let Pistol Pete know how much I enjoy them..  Great lighting and perspective...Have you submitted any to CC  where they post photos at bottom of the page..

Thank you hcat.  I live about 1 mile from this vantage point on Staten Island but never paid attention to the ship schedule until I came back from my first Bermuda cruise this past Memorial Day week.  Now I'm a bit addicted every Sunday afternoon!  Here is a link to my full album of ships I've seen in the NYC area and photos of my Bermuda cruise (where I saw the Summit for the first time).

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9GLGM

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDYU3rQ

Edited by PistolPete13
typo
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thank you hcat.  I live about 1 mile from this vantage point on Staten Island but never paid attention to the ship schedule until I came back from my first Bermuda cruise this past Memorial Day week.  Now I'm a bit addicted every Sunday afternoon!  Here is a link to my full album of ships I've need in the NYC area and photos of my Bermuda cruise (where I saw the Summit for the first time).

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9GLGM

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDYU3rQ

Thank you...we will be  back on Summit in 2020....Also a fan of QM2