Live from Summit

Water709

On 9/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

The new furniture is so bad it’s laughable. The balcony chairs remind me of 1950s school desk chairs, and I feel like they just ran to Walmart or IKEA to hodge podge the balcony decor. 

When I first saw the picture, I thought it had to be a joke and someone had decided to Photoshop in those chairs in place of the real ones.

Just picture any petite or even average sized woman sitting at the desk in the white chair and trying to use that mirror above the desk to do her hair and makeup.

On second glance, it looks like the mirror would even be too high for a tall person.

image.png.c966ddc306056c12c1dbf845e099f836.png

Edited by varoo

3 hours ago, varoo said:

Just picture any petite or even average sized woman sitting at the desk in the white chair and trying to use that mirror above the desk to do her hair and makeup.

On second glance, it looks like the mirror would even be too high for a tall person.

At least there’s a mirror! We are on the Summit right now, in an FV, and there is NO mirror above the desk, which is the only wall where the blow dryer can be plugged in.  That big round mirror is on a far wall, about 16 feet away. Epic design fail. I’ll post some photos when we return. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

At least there’s a mirror! We are on the Summit right now, in an FV, and there is NO mirror above the desk, which is the only wall where the blow dryer can be plugged in.  That big round mirror is on a far wall, about 16 feet away. Epic design fail. I’ll post some photos when we return. 

We will be in an FV on Summit in May. That is horrible about the mirror. How can you see to dry your hair? But I will be looking forward to your pictures. 

Laura

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

We will be in an FV on Summit in May. That is horrible about the mirror. How can you see to dry your hair? But I will be looking forward to your pictures. 

Laura

Either the ship or a prior guest left a small, round makeup mirror in one of the desk drawers.  It helps, but it’s not a real solution. 

The FV is beautiful. But there are a few design fails, and that is one of them. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:09 PM, JFontaine said:

What I was told about the blower was that it was a slightly different voltage (120?) than the normal US voltage. I have no idea if this is true or not, but my sister’s good blower worked at the desk in the living room, and mine sparked. I also tried an outlet by the desk in the bedroom (a converter was apparently left by the previous occupant, unbeknownst to me) and that sparked too.  I’ve traveled with this blower for years including a dozen cruises, and never had a problem.  I was annoyed to be shocked with the electrician standing there encouraging me (how many electric shocks can the heart stand?).  The suite manager explained the lack of US outlets because the suite was designed by someone from Britain.  Huh?  Edited to add that the blower did work at an outlet by the bed, and there was a mirror there. 

This seems to be a dangerous situation.

I am not clearly understanding. Was it the blower you had or the outlet? Did other items like phone chargers work okay?

Our Summit booking is in a regukar  balciny cabin.  Not sure what to expect overall.

Edited by hcat

12 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

IKEA furniture is a lot better than the old looking school desk chairs and at least functional.  Those chairs look absolutely awful.  Do they not want people on their balcony?

They must have purchased those from Wayfair. 

Fortuna+Dining+Chair.jpg

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, hcat said:

This seems to be a dangerous situation.

I am not clearly understanding. Was it the blower you had or the outlet? Did other items like phone chargers work okay?

Our Summit booking is in a regukar  balciny cabin.  Not sure what to expect overall.

The blower was fine - it was the outlet.  There were electrical problems throughout the penthouse. 

9 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Laura

Let me add to what I posted above. We are in a corner FV; as I said earlier, there’s no mirror on the wall above the desk/blow dryer outlet.   After I posted, I saw our next door neighbors in a non-corner FV, and asked them about the mirror situation in their cabin. As in ours, there is no mirror on the wall above the desk/outlet. However, they said there IS a mirror on the wall in the second room, so if they stand up when they are using the blow dryer and stretch the cord as far as it will go, they can just barely see around the room divider to that mirror.  Sheesh. 

But probably the worst thing about it is that they deliberately eliminated some of the best features of those FV cabins, the wonderful mirrored wall above the long desk that had large storage cupboards on both sides.

Why would anyone want to do such a thing?

image.png.5dc4d4bcb85ad62a57b5372203723bc2.png

To think that they actually spent a lot of money (our money) to ruin those cabins.

They could easily have just repainted/refinished what was already there to fit the new color scheme.

Edited by varoo

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Let me add to what I posted above. We are in a corner FV; as I said earlier, there’s no mirror on the wall above the desk/blow dryer outlet.   After I posted, I saw our next door neighbors in a non-corner FV, and asked them about the mirror situation in their cabin. As in ours, there is no mirror on the wall above the desk/outlet. However, they said there IS a mirror on the wall in the second room, so if they stand up when they are using the blow dryer and stretch the cord as far as it will go, they can just barely see around the room divider to that mirror.  Sheesh. 

Could I bring an extension cord or is the hair dryer cord attached to something? There will be us 3 women in the cabin and we will all be drying our hair.

Laura

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Could I bring an extension cord or is the hair dryer cord attached to something? There will be us 3 women in the cabin and we will all be drying our hair.

Laura

I’m pretty sure you can’t bring your own extension cord, but perhaps they can give you one on board. 

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m pretty sure you can’t bring your own extension cord, but perhaps they can give you one on board. 

I’m on the Summit right now in a Concierge cabin.  There is a large round mirror above the desk (lights up) and we did bring an extension cord.  I used it from night stand to plug in my own travel hair dryer, plus curling iron to allow them to be used at the desk with the mirror.  Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, sscats said:

I’m on the Summit right now in a Concierge cabin.  There is a large round mirror above the desk (lights up) and we did bring an extension cord.  I used it from night stand to plug in my own travel hair dryer, plus curling iron to allow them to be used at the desk with the mirror.  Hope this helps!

I’m on board with you. You were lucky on embarkation in Bayonne. The security agent in our line was confiscating extension cords. 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m on board with you. You were lucky on embarkation in Bayonne. The security agent in our line was confiscating extension cords. 

Guess we were lucky to get it through. Won’t bring it next time, will get another three way plug for our next cruise.

We were so lucky to have wonderful weather every day.  

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Yes- happened to me also- you aren't supposed to bring extension cords, irons, steamers.   You can bring hair dryers and curling irons. 

It happened to me in Fort Lauderdale.

Couldn't you just stick the extension cord in your pocket? Or do the scanners read it? Just curious.

Laura

On 9/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thank you Turtles06 for this info. We are cruising in May in a next-to-corner FV. That means I have 7 months to grow my hair to pony-tail length or get a shorter do! What a mess they seem to have made. Regardless, we are so looking forward to this cruise, I know it won't really matter. Can't wait to see your pictures.

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, barbels said:

The furniture in the sky suite screams cheap, cheap, cheap.  Some of it looks like it was picked up on curbside, placed there by someone who was upgrading their furniture after getting a real job.

On the basis of these pictures I will never book a sky suite.

Barbara

newbie here reading reviews to learn about the ship and this made me laugh and i soooo agree. i just spent a week on ncl in the haven and for half the price my room looked 10x more sophisticated. those chairs at the end of the bed are just...well..amazing.  i do love reading these reviews. i learn so much!  if you havent been in ncl haven i recommend it.  i think you will be pleased.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, TheGinBoy said:

I'm a millenial that cruises Celebrity 👍

Whilst the general tone of the new decor really does appeal to me, and I don't mind those high stools in the retreat lounge - those wooden chairs on the balcony look ridiculous.

I want to spend hours out there, maybe fall asleep with my music and a drink - not sit bolt upright thinking about what I've done wrong.

this made me LOL. turn the chair around to the corner and put on a dunce cap too!

maybe thats what the schools need these days..but thats for another forum. i love this review!  my gf is a millenial and i am dying to show her all these hip new furnishings now