Live from Summit

Water709

I'm a millenial that cruises Celebrity 👍

Whilst the general tone of the new decor really does appeal to me, and I don't mind those high stools in the retreat lounge - those wooden chairs on the balcony look ridiculous.

I want to spend hours out there, maybe fall asleep with my music and a drink - not sit bolt upright thinking about what I've done wrong.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TheGinBoy said:

I want to spend hours out there, maybe fall asleep with my music and a drink - not sit bolt upright thinking about what I've done wrong.

Exactly!  We're supposed to sit back and relax, right?

• Like 3

On 7/7/2019 at 11:38 PM, Water709 said:

Set sail today from Bayonne to Bermuda.  This is our 5th time in Summit.  Last year sailed from Bayonne to Bermuda and New England.  Loved it so much we came back again this year.  

We have the same cabin as last year (Sky Suite, same room).  Big changes post revolutionization!   Cabin is brighter but seems smaller without the wall of mirrors.  We miss the coffee table. Not sure where the butler will put room service. 

Disappointed that flowers and wine we paid to have in our cabin today (as well as chocolate strawberries) required repeated inquiries to have delivered. Still waiting on some items which should’ve been in our cabin upon departure and were paid for well ahead of time.  No flowers and chocolate strawberries did not arrive until after 10 pm and repeated requests.

When we got to port in Bayonne before boarding, and our luggage was taken by the stevedores (whom we tip generously) we were told we could not bring our case of bottled water onboard as luggage which we have done previously.  BIG DISAPPOINTMENT as I have a kidney issue which requires me to drink lots of water constantly and it has never been an issue checking a case of water with a luggage tag on it before (ships luggage tag).  

Otherwise the renovations seem fine, but there is less storage space in our suite. The Retreat is very nice too, tho we liked Michaels Club, it’s still a nice quiet place with great service.  

Just a heads up that bringing a case of water aboard this time was forbidden. 😕. So far a lot of things are falling thru the cracks. We booked this cruise far ahead of time for a big anniversary which is on 7/9.  Hope things improve.  Please no flaming on this post; Im just reporting on our experience so far.  

I feel for you as I also drink at least 72 ounces of H2O daily because of having a bout with a kidney stone 2 years, there is no pain on earth worse than a kidney stone.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:20 AM, Water709 said:

We bought the whole photo package (prints and digital).  There was a LOT of confusion by staff in the photo gallery.  A lot of photos never made it on display, and yesterday when I and a few other passengers asked about the missing photos, one of the photo staff guided us to a HUGE lucite bin filled with hundreds of photos all mixed together and told us we could sort thru them to find our photos!!!!  We were all aghast; it would’ve taken Hours to pick thru those and only 2 people could look at one time.  After paying almost $300 for our photo package none of us wanted to spend our last day onboard digging thru tons of photos in a bin to find our own.  When we complained the photo staff just said sorry, they fell behind developing them and “ran out of room” to display them.  This is really unacceptable and Celebrity really dropped the ball on this one.  I think we got most of ours but not sure.  They said you could check on the kiosks and if you didn’t have any they would print them out for you.  We did get 3 printed and picked them up later; there was total chaos in the photo gallery all day.  And they need more kiosks !!

Wow!!!

I am surprised that Revolutionized Summit still has old system with printed photos.

Most companies have switched to digital displays with face recognition or at least by room # long time ago, so no need to print photos and throw them away. Only ones that guest actually wants to buy are printed.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, Water709 said:

And the mini circular chairs were not used by most passengers in the Retreat either.  I don’t think the designers were thinking about comfort or practicality when they chose these:

B27DB87E-06E8-4CD5-80AC-0E6C8EBB3290.jpeg

We were on the same sailing and I noticed those little stool chairs in some of the public ladies washrooms lol. 

We booked this cruise rather last minute and were put in a guarantee cabin - #9027 fwd, great location close to the stairs and very convenient to pop up to the buffet or our choice of a few bars to grab a drink. Balcony furniture consisted of a small round table and two reclining lounge chairs - much more comfortable than what yours looked like! Makes me a little wary of what the furniture will be like when we cruise again in September on the 'revolutionized' Equinox, though we will be in a Celebrity Suite and from what I've read they didn't do anything to the suites during the refit. I hope you had a good cruise! We enjoyed ourselves...though I am not enjoying trying to unpack and manage all this laundry now that we're home!

22 hours ago, CruisinCons said:

I work for a CPA.  You'd be surprised how many 23 to 38 year olds can afford it.  Some are making ridiculous amounts of money.  We have one client that makes $150k a year teaching people how to put on make up on YouTube.  Another makes over $1M a year putting together those annoying "lists" that try to get you to click through.  I kid you not. 

I would have to agree with you regarding Millennial having good jobs and money.   We live in Silicon Valley which I am sure is an anomaly.   It is not uncommon for a younger folks from companies like Google, Apple or Facebook to buy $1.5 Million + properties for all cash.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would have to agree with you regarding Millennial having good jobs and money.   We live in Silicon Valley which I am sure is an anomaly.   It is not uncommon for a younger folks from companies like Google, Apple or Facebook to buy $1.5 Million + properties for all cash.   

OK, I’m not *that* kind of millennial 😂 

I’m the half decent job working in social media kind of gay millennial - I still have to budget 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Tatka said:

Wow!!!

I am surprised that Revolutionized Summit still has old system with printed photos.

Most companies have switched to digital displays with face recognition or at least by room # long time ago, so no need to print photos and throw them away. Only ones that guest actually wants to buy are printed.

EDGE was totally up to date in that area...and had excellent photographers on board!  Maybe it will take time to bring M Class ships into the new system.????

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, CruisinCons said:

I work for a CPA.  You'd be surprised how many 23 to 38 year olds can afford it.  Some are making ridiculous amounts of money.  We have one client that makes $150k a year teaching people how to put on make up on YouTube.  Another makes over $1M a year putting together those annoying "lists" that try to get you to click through.  I kid you not. 

You're talking about exceptions and not the rule. You just don't see many people in that age group in Luminae or MC etc. I'm not sure that X would be the first choice cruise line for many twenty somethings either, regardless of how much disposable income they have. Take a look at the videos of X ships on Youtube and you'll see the vast majority of passengers are much older. 

3 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

7/7/19 cruise.  Photos of PH.  Loved the Revolution renovation.  Way too much storage space.  There were some issues that still need to be addressed.

IMG_1548.JPG

OMG...the view from that jacuzzi tub is incredible...so totally jealous...

IF I could ever afford this, you'd never get me out of that tub! 😂

Edited by red919
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mynki said:

You're talking about exceptions and not the rule. You just don't see many people in that age group in Luminae or MC etc. I'm not sure that X would be the first choice cruise line for many twenty somethings either, regardless of how much disposable income they have. Take a look at the videos of X ships on Youtube and you'll see the vast majority of passengers are much older. 

I think this is more nuanced than most people will dive into. Maybe the majority of Celebrity cruisers are older but I think that is currently changing. In general, I would say most cruise lines have an older demographic than the overall traveling population.

I grew up cruising on Celebrity and now cruise with my wife and children almost exclusively on X. We have friends that have the money to cruise in suites with us but prefer land vacations/luxury all inclusive resorts. Ultimately, the traveler and their whole family have to like cruising (I.e. not get seasick) for it to work.

We are millennials and see more people in our age group each time we cruise. I think the 2008 recession really delayed the disposable income generation of many people our age. I believe we will see the affects of that start to fade as their careers and families grow.

19 hours ago, TheGinBoy said:

OK, I’m not *that* kind of millennial 😂 

I’m the half decent job working in social media kind of gay millennial - I still have to budget 😂 

Would be interested to find if you identify with being an Millennial?    Many if not most millennial I know don't like the label any more than baby boomers think of themselves as being  labeled and grouped by characteristics with such a broad classification.   

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Would be interested to find if you identify with being an Millennial?    Many if not most millennial I know don't like the label any more than baby boomers think of themselves as being  labeled and grouped by characteristics with such a broad classification.   

I’m Gen X, does that make me a natural born X cruiser?  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

7/7/19 cruise.  Photos of PH.  Loved the Revolution renovation.  Way too much storage space.  There were some issues that still need to be addressed.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Hello.  We will be in the PH next year with two teenage boys.  What is the size of the sofa bed?  Can a rollaway be put in?

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, Water709 said:

This morning I went out on the balcony and looked at the furniture and told my husband I waited six months to be able to sit out on the balcony, and we spent several thousand dollars so I could be comfortable sitting on this every day of vacation while I read my book:

71B725FC-BEA1-4F9C-B66F-02E628D5B7EC.jpeg

0MG.  This is depressing.  I'm sailing the summit in a few weeks  Oh noooooooo.  Who in their right mind picked out this furniture?  Was not impressed with the decor inside also.  What a shame to spend so much money, time, and effort and end up with this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I just looked at the chart

Here are the birth years for each generation:
  • Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
  • Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
  • Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
  • Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.

My sister who is a few years younger than me is 1977 and my son is 1991. I don't feel that they belong to the same generation at all 🙂 ...

1977 can be a parent to 1995 🙂  Same generation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shacky316 said:

Hello.  We will be in the PH next year with two teenage boys.  What is the size of the sofa bed?  Can a rollaway be put in?

Sofa bed is the size of a double bed.  (very wide).  There is more than enough room for a roll away bed (or two!).  But does the ship even have any roll away beds onboard??

44 minutes ago, lolane1 said:

0MG.  This is depressing.  I'm sailing the summit in a few weeks  Oh noooooooo.  Who in their right mind picked out this furniture?  Was not impressed with the decor inside also.  What a shame to spend so much money, time, and effort and end up with this. 

And that foot stool weighs about 50 pounds!  Watch your toes!

41 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I just looked at the chart

Here are the birth years for each generation:
  • Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – TBD.
  • Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
  • Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
  • Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.

My sister who is a few years younger than me is 1977 and my son is 1991. I don't feel that they belong to the same generation at all 🙂 ...

1977 can be a parent to 1995 🙂  Same generation?

I'm an OF,  Old fart.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

I assume that third picture down is the veranda, I have a question, where do you sit and it seems there's a lot of wasted space. 

It seems like they have their own private  outdoor deck!  Needs  more furniture  but overall awesome.  Must be a  hot tub someplace out there!  

Can't believe there's a chart for age groups!