Cruise Critic Community
Cruisingfan42

Viva Vino changes to wine list

Posting this out of interest for any wine lovers.  Currently on NCL Spirit and noticed that there have been considerable changes to the wine offerings on the Viva Vino list.  For example, there is no longer a Cabernet Sauvignon or Chateauneuf du Pape in the connoisseur offering, instead they have been replaced by blends. Seems like the previous better wines were removed despite prices remaining the same between the previous and current Viva Vino packages.  Doesn’t seem like the Viva Vino holds as much value now, but this is just my opinion.

first world problems! 😜

2A51E235-D0B8-4AD6-8502-05E8B2270FB8.jpeg

77E28A9E-4413-4A76-8482-6F23162B38F3.jpeg

Edited by Cruisingfan42
Typos fixed

I have seen various Viva Vino menus over the years, so there isn’t a specific previous Viva Vino menu to compare this to. They have always varied between ships etc. It could just be one of the various ones which are around now.

Having said that, this does look a bit different to ones I’ve seen before, so it may represent a change.

Edited by KeithJenner

I agree with Keith, I've seen various Viva Vino menus over the years.

Neither of those pictured above is the same as the one on our April cruise on the Dawn, although the newest one is the closest with only a few minor differences.

viva vino list 001.jpg

We just visited the winery at the Biltmore recently and the Sommelier there told us that several of their traditional wines are not currently available due to the weather changes at both their North Carolina and California vineyards.  Many grapes need very specific conditions to grow correctly and many regions are experiencing unusual weather over the last couple of growing seasons.

6 hours ago, Cruisingfan42 said:

Posting this out of interest for any wine lovers.  Currently on NCL Spirit and noticed that there have been considerable changes to the wine offerings on the Viva Vino list.  For example, there is no longer a Cabernet Sauvignon or Chateauneuf du Pape in the connoisseur offering, instead they have been replaced by blends. Seems like the previous better wines were removed despite prices remaining the same between the previous and current Viva Vino packages.  Doesn’t seem like the Viva Vino holds as much value now, but this is just my opinion.

first world problems! 😜

2A51E235-D0B8-4AD6-8502-05E8B2270FB8.jpeg

77E28A9E-4413-4A76-8482-6F23162B38F3.jpeg

Chateauneuf du Pape in one of my favorites, but prices for that wine have shot through the roof in recent years.  I don't buy it anymore.  

We board Spirit next week for B2B out of Southampton.  Does anybody know if there is a grocery where we can buy some wine to take on with us -- we understand the corkage fees, but have found that in Europe we can buy decent local wines that are nicer than most they offer on board for about the same money including the corkage.

Not sure about buying on a Sunday.

Edited by azcruise
Typo

Can someone please tell me where one actually registers or purchases the viva vino package.  I am boarding Epic on May 3rd, 2020 and would like to purchase this wine package. I have seen no info on this on the NCL website. It appears to be a hidden gem!  Many thanks.

12 minutes ago, Mabel_sunshine said:

Can someone please tell me where one actually registers or purchases the viva vino package.  I am boarding Epic on May 3rd, 2020 and would like to purchase this wine package. I have seen no info on this on the NCL website. It appears to be a hidden gem!  Many thanks.

Go to any bar on the ship to purchase it. We always buy it on embarkation day, not sure if you can purchase it after that.

Thank you! 

P.S. Look like Chateauneuf du pape is back!

Edited by lixogab

10 hours ago, lixogab said:

Thank you! 

P.S. Look like Chateauneuf du pape is back!

But remember that the list does vary between some ships, so don’t be surprised if the list you have is different.

So you can get 4 bottles of wine for $88 ( The Enthusiast list) or $98 (The Afficionado) and 20% grat. Is there still a delivery charge as well? Trying to figure out if my $15 bottles of wine plus a $15 corkage fee is even worth carrying on. I didn't know you could get it like this, I thought it was only the wine on the wine list in the restaurants/bars with that wine price included. 

1 minute ago, scubamommy! said:

So you can get 4 bottles of wine for $88 ( The Enthusiast list) or $98 (The Afficionado) and 20% grat. Is there still a delivery charge as well? Trying to figure out if my $15 bottles of wine plus a $15 corkage fee is even worth carrying on. I didn't know you could get it like this, I thought it was only the wine on the wine list in the restaurants/bars with that wine price included. 

The total cost is $88 plus 20%. There is no delivery charge or anything else.

Like the corkage fee, the price hasn't changed for many years, whilst all other bar prices have rocketed. In comparison to other NCL prices, Viva Vino is a bargain.

The other bonus is the storage, opened a bottle that you didn't finish during your specialty dining dinner?  They'll bring it wherever you eat dinner tomorrow or you can take it with you.

13 minutes ago, scubamommy! said:

Trying to figure out if my $15 bottles of wine plus a $15 corkage fee is even worth carrying on.

Research your port, both Honolulu and Barcelona didn't charge me anything for a corkage fee during check in, maybe you'll get lucky as well.

30 minutes ago, scubamommy! said:

Your $15 wine is likely going to be better than the wine you get from NCL for 88 or 98 dollars.

The wine in the $110 package is essentially $15 wine.

Edited by fastpitchdad

26 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Your $15 wine is likely going to be better than the wine you get from NCL for 88 or 98 dollars.

The wine in the $110 package is essentially $15 wine.

I don't think that most people do it for the comparative quality, but  because it is much easier than carrying bottles onboard. By the time you have purchased a $15 bottle and paid $15 corkage, you have paid $120 for four of them, so the prices are very comparable.

The question becomes whether you would rather go for ease or quality, and it can depend a lot on your circumstances. If I was driving to the port I would certainly pay corkage. If I am flying and having to buy the wine in an unfamiliar place then Viva Vino is very appealing.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I don't think that most people do it for the comparative quality, but  because it is much easier than carrying bottles onboard. By the time you have purchased a $15 bottle and paid $15 corkage, you have paid $120 for four of them, so the prices are very comparable.

The question becomes whether you would rather go for ease or quality, and it can depend a lot on your circumstances. If I was driving to the port I would certainly pay corkage. If I am flying and having to buy the wine in an unfamiliar place then Viva Vino is very appealing.

We always bring wine with us when we fly (even to CPH on our latest cruise) 🙂 . My suggestion would be to bring wine you like and pay the corkage fee. It might end up costing a little bit more in total but you won't be disappointed in the wine.

11 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

We always bring wine with us when we fly (even to CPH on our latest cruise) 🙂 . My suggestion would be to bring wine you like and pay the corkage fee. It might end up costing a little bit more in total but you won't be disappointed in the wine.

It's irrelevant to me at the moment as we get the beverage package, but there is no way that I would bother with taking wine on a flight with me. It just isn't worth the effort for us. I can drink whatever wine I want when at home, and am quite happy to make do when away.

Everyone is different though.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I agree with comments above.  For we Canadians, the package isn't a bad a deal as at home we are taxed at a crazy rate for alcohol.  For example, I'm thinking of the "tier 3" package to get 4 bottles of Brut Chandon.  Viva Vino price at USD $110/4 = USD $27.50 per bottle.  This may be a bit of a shocker for those in the States, but one bottle of this at an Ontario liquor store would be CAD $31.70 (likely 50% of the price is tax, lol).  If I assume an FX rate of 1.3 (for argument's sake), then I'm paying roughly USD $24.38 for that same bottle of sparkling at home.  BUT, I then need to pay a USD $15.00 corkage fee raising the price to almost USD $40 / bottle.  Viva Vino is actually a bargain vs. buying at home and carting on the plane. (and I'd never bring more than one bottle on the plane).  Of course it's not champagne or even great quality sparkling, but it's actually nice to drink, it's not bad at all.

I did think about sourcing out a liquor store near the port, but can't see me buying 4 bottles locally to cart onto the ship unless perhaps I could find it in very close proximity to the port.  

Edited just to add...the other wine I was considering from VV is the Louis Jadot Chardonney - CAD $38.95 at home.  So, I think all things are relative, but for me, VV is a bargain.

Edited by GettotheSun