Cruise Critic Community
ed01106

Is the Sunrise a new ship?

Is Sunrise a new ship or a renamed one?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sunrise a brand new ship.

• Yes
    • No, it is renamed formerly the Triumph

Discussion requested by jumbo5544.  In another thread he claimed Sunrise was a new ship.  I said it is a renamed ship and Carnival renamed it because the name Triumph is associated with the “poop cruise” and they were having trouble selling tickets because of the disaster.

He said that my pointing out that the ship was not new was bashing and off topic (even though he was the one who first brought up the claim the ship was new) and said if I want to discuss if it is a new ship or a renamed ship to star a new thread....

So here goes...new ship or renamed ship?

Just now, purplephenom said:

I'd go with refurbished.  It's not brand new, it's not just renamed.  

Carnival has refurbished other ships in their fleet, but didn’t rename them.  Wonder why.

22 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Discussion requested by jumbo5544.  In another thread he claimed Sunrise was a new ship.  I said it is a renamed ship and Carnival renamed it because the name Triumph is associated with the “poop cruise” and they were having trouble selling tickets because of the disaster.

He said that my pointing out that the ship was not new was bashing and off topic (even though he was the one who first brought up the claim the ship was new) and said if I want to discuss if it is a new ship or a renamed ship to star a new thread....

So here goes...new ship or renamed ship?

Ahhh more bashing....or should I say name calling....

Edited by jimbo5544

The Triumph received a significant refurbishment, enough so that they felt that it created the opportunity to rename, just the same as they did with the Destiny (which became the Sunshine).

I don't know the extent of the renovations.  Was it stripped down to bare metal everywhere?  Was the entire propulsion system replaced? 

If it was taken down to just a metal hull, then I could lean towards treating it as a "new" ship.

If the refurb was less severe than that then I would call it a refurbishment - a major one, perhaps, but still a refurb (e.g. the walls refinished in some areas, new paint job, but other areas like existing cabin walls/carpets untouched, same engines and propulsion).

IMHO it is not just a rename - there were too many changes that we do know about, far more extensive that what they did to the Elation, for example.

So your question needs a third option.

Just now, ed01106 said:

Carnival has refurbished other ships in their fleet, but didn’t rename them.  Wonder why.

Two makeovers to date, one to go.  Destiny to Sunshine and Triumph to Sunrise, one at 150 mill the 2nd (your topic post) is at 200 mill.  Both total makeovers.... I have been on the before and after version of each...have you?

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

I believe that it has to do with the amount of refurbishment that was involved.  With both the Destiny and the Triumph, they added staterooms and perform other refurbishment that went significantly beyond the typical non-structural refurbishment that happened on other ships (the addition of bars, etc. notwithstanding, as they didn't require the significant structure changes as adding staterooms and changing the size/orientation of other public areas).

11 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Sunshine was the Destiny, right?  That's at least one.  And the Radiance is another one- not sure what that was before.  

I think you're right, there should be a distinction between brand new ships, ships, that go into dry dock to get more "stuff", and these transformation ships.  Some of us like to know the details.  Are you saying Carnival calls the ships that go into dry dock, refurbished? 

2 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

Sunshine was the Destiny, right?  That's at least one.  And the Radiance is another one- not sure what that was before.  

I think you're right, there should be a distinction between brand new ships, ships, that go into dry dock to get more "stuff", and these transformation ships.  Some of us like to know the details.  Are you saying Carnival calls the ships that go into dry dock, refurbished? 

Radiance will be the new ship that was once Victory.  I have no idea on setting the distinction between the two will be, but clearly this was not just a drydock.  

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Radiance will be the new ship that was once Victory.  I have no idea on setting the distinction between the two will be, but clearly this was not just a drydock.  

thanks.  I don't know how you do it either, but I'd call the Sunshine/Radiance/Sunrise refurbished, not the ones that go into drydock for a simply spruce up- or even adding waterslides or something.  

That said, I guess I really don't care that much, I tend to pick on itinerary, price, sail date, and departure port before I even worry about the ship.  Using those filters, my choices of ships are pretty limited.  And like I said, the I loved the Sunshine so I'd be perfectly happy trying the Radiance/Sunrise.  

The Funship 2.0 upgrades, for example, do no warrant a name change, since they are fleet-wide, and touch more on the "services", not infrastructure so much - even if they are some pretty big changes from a cruise-guest POV.  (The Triumph had the Funship 2.0 upgrades in 2016, if I am reading stuff online correctly.)

Elation's upgrades of balconies and some cabins (and addition or upgrade of water slides?) was not really enough to warrant a name change IMHO, but I suppose if Carnival had done so I would not have been surprised, in retrospect.

What other ships have had non-superficial upgrades/changes that haven't resulted in renaming?

I have an issue with your choices.  Neither are accurate.  Refurbished is closer to the correct response.   But what does it matter?

This topic came up in a different topic as we were debating the idea of carnival’s service to the New York market. They sent their newest ship last year and this year they sent the Sunrise. Is the sunrise a new ship or is it serious downgrade to those of us who like to leave out of NY - our home port. 

Does the Sunrise compare to Anthem of the seas, Adventure of the seas , NCL escape and gem (prob close to the second) and we can throw in the refurbished Celebrity Summit??? 

It is my opinion that they are not even close in the NY market. I think they have missed their mark -  But that said I am going on her later in August because it fits my schedule and I am planning to have a great time! 

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Lipstick on a pig. The hull is the same... once the poop ship, always the poop ship. Sorry to disappoint.

LOL, I need to find that pot stirrer icon.....Let’s get you back on a funnel ship before you pass judgement on the whole fleet.

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, I need to find that pot stirrer icon.....Let’s get you back on a funnel ship before you pass judgement on the whole fleet.

Not passing judgment, bud. Everyone is free to have their own opinions. I just think it will remain the poop ship forever 🙂

Just now, xDisconnections said:

Not passing judgment, bud. Everyone is free to have their own opinions. I just think it will remain the poop ship forever 🙂

Wondering if I reply will mention it again😎  SO I guess we can safely say that any negative event we need to call the ship by that name forever....got it.  What was the name again?

An absolutely ridiculous either/or choice.  The renaming follows a precedent previously set in the Destiny/Triumph Class that will eventually see all 3 ships 9 figure retrofitted and renamed.  Don't sail on it if that's your preference.  None of us give a damn. 

Refurbished and renamed.   The stern area and our balcony itself showed its age.  Still, we had a fun cruise in May and the redone areas, including the cabin interiors, are very nice.  

Jimbo:

I don't remember from your earlier excellent photos of the current Carnival Sunrise (and thanks, again, for posting those) but did any of those show the area near the theater entrance where the old/former plaques of Carnival Triumph were once displayed?

Are those former items still available for viewing??   I will find out later this year, but thought I'd check, via your memory, prior to that.

I was excited to cruise on Sunrise as it’s the “newest” ship I’ve been on. NYC is my closest port but because of cost I’ve only cruises from there twice. 

I dont agree that Carnival renamed it because of the poop cruise. It’s a remodel like Sunshine and the ship has s completely different feel then Triumph. 

2 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

Jimbo:

I don't remember from your earlier excellent photos of the current Carnival Sunrise (and thanks, again, for posting those) but did any of those show the area near the theater entrance where the old/former plaques of Carnival Triumph were once displayed?

Are those former items still available for viewing??   I will find out later this year, but thought I'd check, via your memory, prior to that.

I know where you mean, but cannot remember.  We will be on her on 7/22 and I will see and inquire, stay tuned for my review which I will start on the cruise.

2 hours ago, pohlerbear said:

I was excited to cruise on Sunrise as it’s the “newest” ship I’ve been on. NYC is my closest port but because of cost I’ve only cruises from there twice. 

I dont agree that Carnival renamed it because of the poop cruise. It’s a remodel like Sunshine and the ship has s completely different feel then Triumph. 

It certainly does, the Op seems to think otherwise (which is fine).  As with the Sunshine, the majority of negative posts actually came from posters who never stepped anywhere near the ship....go figure.  

Royal Caribbean has been spending $150 apiece on ship refurbishings the past few years and haven't renamed those ships.  Since 2012, Carnival has 2 new ship builds (Vista and Horizon).  Royal Caribbean and Norwegian have 5 builds apiece in that time frame.  This renaming 20+ year old ships because of some scrambling of the deck plans is tacky.  And it also misleads lots of potential customers into thinking they're booking sailings on "new ships".

BTW, I sailed on the "Sunshine" in 2016 in an aft-facing balcony and could clearly see the large amount of rust around the rear of the ship along with the imprinted "Destiny" across the back under the multiple attempts of paint.  

Another clown thread. The haters should just go to another cruise line if carnival is so bad.