Is the Sunrise a new ship?

ed01106

Is Sunrise a new ship or a renamed one?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sunrise a brand new ship.

• Yes
    • No, it is renamed formerly the Triumph

13 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Another clown thread. The haters should just go to another cruise line if carnival is so bad. 

Why if you criticize or make a point that is negative about the brand do people want you to jump ship to the other companies.  

I have not read anything good or bad that I don’t think the person who wrote didn’t have a fair point. 

Maybe if carnival just just fixed up these older ship  left the common areas and didn’t cram more people in they would be better received. 

Carnivals  next ship will be the largest  and hold more people will still be smaller than than Royals largest ship that holds less people. Does this mean because I say this I cannot book it? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Why if you criticize or make a point that is negative about the brand do people want you to jump ship to the other companies.  

I have not read anything good or bad that I don’t think the person who wrote didn’t have a fair point. 

Maybe if carnival just just fixed up these older ship  left the common areas and didn’t cram more people in they would be better received. 

Carnivals  next ship will be the largest  and hold more people will still be smaller than than Royals largest ship that holds less people. Does this mean because I say this I cannot book it? 

Here’s a clue. Because it’s always the same people. 

37 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Here’s a clue. Because it’s always the same people. 

And it's always the same shareholders.......er, people, that defend everything Carnival does as if they were their own namesake.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

And it's always the same shareholders.......er, people, that defend everything Carnival does as if they were their own namesake.

You'd be quite wrong. 

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Royal Caribbean has been spending $150 apiece on ship refurbishings the past few years and haven't renamed those ships.  Since 2012, Carnival has 2 new ship builds (Vista and Horizon).  Royal Caribbean and Norwegian have 5 builds apiece in that time frame.  This renaming 20+ year old ships because of some scrambling of the deck plans is tacky.  And it also misleads lots of potential customers into thinking they're booking sailings on "new ships".

BTW, I sailed on the "Sunshine" in 2016 in an aft-facing balcony and could clearly see the large amount of rust around the rear of the ship along with the imprinted "Destiny" across the back under the multiple attempts of paint.  

Can you point me to the refurbs from Royal?  What in the world does new builds have to do with any of this?

13 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Discussion requested by jumbo5544.  In another thread he claimed Sunrise was a new ship.  I said it is a renamed ship and Carnival renamed it because the name Triumph is associated with the “poop cruise” and they were having trouble selling tickets because of the disaster.

He said that my pointing out that the ship was not new was bashing and off topic (even though he was the one who first brought up the claim the ship was new) and said if I want to discuss if it is a new ship or a renamed ship to star a new thread....

So here goes...new ship or renamed ship?

Hi

Just wondering... does it matter?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Or people who an’t accept facts....

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Can you point me to the refurbs from Royal?  What in the world does new builds have to do with any of this?

Royal Amplified (AMPED) project covers a total of 10 vessels over 4 years. Further details on Oasis-Class ship upgrades are still forthcoming.

• In 2018 were "AMPED" the ships Mariner and Independence.
  • For "AMPED" drydocks in 2019 are scheduled the ships Oasis, Voyager,
  • For "AMPED" drydocks in 2020 are scheduled the ships Allure, Freedom, Explorer, Navigator,
  • For "AMPED" drydocks in 2021 are scheduled the ships Adventure, Liberty. Full refurbishment details per vessel will be revealed each year.

That's along with the upcoming new build Spectrum of the Seas.  Notice the the names of the refurbished ships remain the same.

What the new builds have to do with this is that other cruiselines are ACTUALLY building NEW vessels whereas Carnival attempts to pass off 20 year-old refurbished ships as brand new builds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Listen we can play these childish games if you want.  I have sailed royal, and frankly (I know a royalist may find it hard to believe) was not impressed.  That said, I do not wander off to royal boards and tout that (of course I can).  Is it really important that Carnival gets creative with renaming 200 mill upgrades and royal calls it amped up?  We can each cite instances of things working or not.   Your call......

14 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Royal Caribbean has been spending $150 apiece on ship refurbishings the past few years

I don't think $150.00 is a lot of money for a refurb.

Heck that is 1/4th of my bar bill on an 8 day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

Royal Amplified (AMPED) project covers a total of 10 vessels over 4 years. Further details on Oasis-Class ship upgrades are still forthcoming.

• For "AMPED" drydocks in 2020 are scheduled the ships Allure, Freedom, Explorer, Navigator,
  • For "AMPED" drydocks in 2021 are scheduled the ships Adventure, Liberty. Full refurbishment details per vessel will be revealed each year.

That's along with the upcoming new build Spectrum of the Seas.  Notice the the names of the refurbished ships remain the same.

What the new builds have to do with this is that other cruiselines are ACTUALLY building NEW vessels whereas Carnival attempts to pass off 20 year-old refurbished ships as brand new builds.

Looking into these a bit, it seems like this is more similar to adding the 2.0 upgrades on Carnival ships.  I see one ship is getting a new waterslide, and another is getting maintenance/technical updates.  Carnival didn't rename ships with the 2.0 upgrades either, which makes sense to me.

In my googling, I haven't been able to find another cruise line doing what Carnival is doing with these 3 ships- Sunshine, Radiance, and Sunrise.  I think it's a relatively unique situation.  Should they be doing it this way? No idea. But I will say, I booked the Sunshine primarily for the itinerary, but I also was intrigued that it had the new stuff at a cheaper price that the other ship doing the same route, which I think was the Magic.  And I LOVED it.  I currently have 2 cruises booked on the Horizon, so I guess Carnival's technique to show cruisers the new stuff at a cheaper price hoping they book the more expensive new ships worked on me.  

EDIT:  I just googled to see what Carnival is saying about the Sunrise.  In their "ultimate guide" they do reference the Triumph and call it an upgraded ship.  I'm sure some people who don't research every detail of their vacation would think it's a new ship, but it seems if you google the ship name, it doesn't take a lot of looking to find out it's not brand new. 

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/the-ultimate-guide-to-carnival-sunrise

Edited by purplephenom

Just to be clear.  I am not anti-Carnival.  Like all lines it has its pluses and minuses.  

But it is disingenuous, to call an old ship a new ship just because it had a remodel. 

The website is called cruise critic, not cruisefanboy.com.  Being critical and honest about the cruise lines is a vital component of this board. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Another clown thread. The haters should just go to another cruise line if carnival is so bad. 

Your quote seems irrelevant to the topic. Why is it if you think the ship is not new (which it is not) the person is a "hater"? "Shake it off, shake it off."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Navigator of the Seas in 2019 also. We really enjoyed the enhancements from Royal Amplified and look forward to enjoying them once again during our Allure Transatlantic cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I don't think $150.00 is a lot of money for a refurb.

Heck that is 1/4th of my bar bill on an 8 day.

You might save money, by buying the drink package then.  

2 hours ago, purplephenom said:

Looking into these a bit, it seems like this is more similar to adding the 2.0 upgrades on Carnival ships.  I see one ship is getting a new waterslide, and another is getting maintenance/technical updates.  Carnival didn't rename ships with the 2.0 upgrades either, which makes sense to me.

In my googling, I haven't been able to find another cruise line doing what Carnival is doing with these 3 ships- Sunshine, Radiance, and Sunrise.  I think it's a relatively unique situation.  Should they be doing it this way? No idea. But I will say, I booked the Sunshine primarily for the itinerary, but I also was intrigued that it had the new stuff at a cheaper price that the other ship doing the same route, which I think was the Magic.  And I LOVED it.  I currently have 2 cruises booked on the Horizon, so I guess Carnival's technique to show cruisers the new stuff at a cheaper price hoping they book the more expensive new ships worked on me.  

EDIT:  I just googled to see what Carnival is saying about the Sunrise.  In their "ultimate guide" they do reference the Triumph and call it an upgraded ship.  I'm sure some people who don't research every detail of their vacation would think it's a new ship, but it seems if you google the ship name, it doesn't take a lot of looking to find out it's not brand new. 

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/the-ultimate-guide-to-carnival-sunrise

The haters are the ones who use the term “new ship” more than anyone. They want you to think carnival and others are saying the ships are brand new. Just look at the poll and the words brand new. They can say whatever they want. I’ve been on the triumph. I’ve been on the destiny. I’ve been on the sunrise. And I’ve been on the sunshine. These ships are as new as new can be. The sunrise didn’t just add new cabins. It added many more bars and eateries. They changed a lot of the decor. They revamped many public places. It’s about as new can be. Oh my god, they changed the name to try and trick us. Carnival has said a 1,000 times that he Sunrise used to be the triumph. 

People need to to grow up and stop whining about things hat don’t mean a thing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Your quote seems irrelevant to the topic. Why is it if you think the ship is not new (which it is not) the person is a "hater"? "Shake it off, shake it off."

LOLOL

10 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Navigator of the Seas in 2019 also. We really enjoyed the enhancements from Royal Amplified and look forward to enjoying them once again during our Allure Transatlantic cruise.

Yet you always post on the carnival board. RCL board??