Is the Sunrise a new ship?

Is Sunrise a new ship or a renamed one?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sunrise a brand new ship.

• Yes
    • No, it is renamed formerly the Triumph

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

The haters are the ones who use the term “new ship” more than anyone. They want you to think carnival and others are saying the ships are brand new. Just look at the poll and the words brand new. They can say whatever they want. I’ve been on the triumph. I’ve been on the destiny. I’ve been on the sunrise. And I’ve been on the sunshine. These ships are as new as new can be. The sunrise didn’t just add new cabins. It added many more bars and eateries. They changed a lot of the decor. They revamped many public places. It’s about as new can be. Oh my god, they changed the name to try and trick us. Carnival has said a 1,000 times that he Sunrise used to be the triumph. 

People need to to grow up and stop whining about things hat don’t mean a thing. 

The Sunshine when it was first launched was advertised as a completely brand new ship despite it being refurbished.

Dry Dock Dave’s feedback from the shipyard is enough to be mindful of when sailing on Sunshine. I remember a friend sailed on the Sunshine when it was first launched and her room smelled like feces for an entire cruise because of the exhaust going straight to her room accidentally instead of the air conditioning unit (or something along those lines). She slept in the lobby until Carnival gave her a new room after a few days. And let’s not forget the leaks and poor condition when Carnival took over that ship as well.

I’m not running to sail on Sunrise, Sunshine or Radiance.

Edited by xDisconnections

13 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

The haters are the ones who use the term “new ship” more than anyone. They want you to think carnival and others are saying the ships are brand new. Just look at the poll and the words brand new. They can say whatever they want. I’ve been on the triumph. I’ve been on the destiny. I’ve been on the sunrise. And I’ve been on the sunshine. These ships are as new as new can be. The sunrise didn’t just add new cabins. It added many more bars and eateries. They changed a lot of the decor. They revamped many public places. It’s about as new can be. Oh my god, they changed the name to try and trick us. Carnival has said a 1,000 times that he Sunrise used to be the triumph. 

People need to to grow up and stop whining about things hat don’t mean a thing. 

I don't see Carnival calling it a new ship.  The information is out there.  But, I think some people don't like the concept of refurbishing ships.  Because it's more crowded, because they prefer the newer ships, whatever.  So to them, it means a lot that there are more refurbished ships around, because there are then fewer new ships.

You see the same types of comments on the Fantasy class- some people say they're floating rust buckets, they'd never be caught dead on them, whatever.  But, others love them and hope they stay around because they're less crowded, easier to get around, cheaper, whatever.

Ultimately, a cruise is a cruise. All these ships are out there, and all these lines are out there.  Everyone can make educated choices (or even uneducated choices) and pick what they like.   Personally, I'd be fine if everyone hated the Sunshine and prices dropped and I could get another cheap cruise in.  

1 hour ago, John Reid said:

You can paint it any way you like and have any opinion you want. It is not and cannot be a new ship. Refurbished and renamed. 

LOL, well if you say it, it must be so...It has been done many times, does the name bother you?

13 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

The Sunshine when it was first launched was advertised as a completely brand new ship despite it being refurbished.

Dry Dock Dave’s feedback from the shipyard is enough to be mindful of when sailing on Sunshine. I remember a friend sailed on the Sunshine when it was first launched and her room smelled like feces for an entire cruise because of the exhaust going straight to her room accidentally instead of the air conditioning unit (or something along those lines). She slept in the lobby until Carnival gave her a new room after a few days. And let’s not forget the leaks and poor condition when Carnival took over that ship as well.

I’m not running to sail on Sunrise, Sunshine or Radiance.

Yeah, but you are not running to get on any Carnival ship, so the point is moot.....  

2 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Just to be clear.  I am not anti-Carnival.  Like all lines it has its pluses and minuses.  

But it is disingenuous, to call an old ship a new ship just because it had a remodel. 

The website is called cruise critic, not cruisefanboy.com.  Being critical and honest about the cruise lines is a vital component of this board. 

So....only critical posts count?  

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah, but you are not running to get on any Carnival ship, so the point is moot.....  

I was running to sail on the Victory if you remember correctly 🙂

Just now, xDisconnections said:

I was running to sail on the Victory if you remember correctly 🙂

I do....rebook it (lol, or wait till it becomes the Radiance)...😁

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

You might save money, by buying the drink package then.  

My wife does not drink, So it does not pay. Thank you though.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, well if you say it, it must be so...It has been done many times, does the name bother you?

LOL - swell. When you change your shirt and pants in the morning, are you then jhimboh2so4? Why would the name bother anyone. It's the deceit that bothers people. And it is deceit for any new cruisers to Carnival.

So....only critical posts count?  

Could you explain the logic of your post? I fail to see any at all.

Once again, the logic of this post defies me. What is the point that it is made moot? Does the fact that this person avoids the reconditioned ships undo the problems with the A/C and ship infrastructure that occurred? Help us all.

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Can you point me to the refurbs from Royal?  What in the world does new builds have to do with any of this?

Glad to help with this. The entire fleet has refurbs on a rotating schedule. If they are renaming the ships, well, they are using the same name. To my knowledge the only other renaming that occurs is when a cruise line buys a ship from another line.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:56 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Ahhh more bashing....or should I say name calling....

Point me in the right direction. Where is the bashing and name calling? Or is calling the Sunshine Destiny name calling?

What I don’t understand is they can come up with new names for Destiny, Triumph and Victory, but they can’t come up with a unique name for their newest ship???

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, John Reid said:

LOL - swell. When you change your shirt and pants in the morning, are you then jhimboh2so4? Why would the name bother anyone. It's the deceit that bothers people. And it is deceit for any new cruisers to Carnival.

Here’s a link to carnival press releases. Put sunshine in the search bar. A large number of articles come up. Show me where carnival was deceitful and saying it was a new ship. The two words they use predominantly are transformation and refurbishment.  

https://carnival-news.com/press-releases/press-release-archive/

Edited by RRLLAL

2 hours ago, John Reid said:

Who said it bothered anybody (other than the negative nellies).  The new name sure seems to bother you.  How is is deceit?  What was promised and not delivered other than a new name?  Were tou on the ship?

2 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Here’s a link to carnival press releases. Put sunshine in the search bar. A large number of articles come up. Show me where carnival was deceitful and saying it was a new ship. The two words they use predominantly are transformation and refurbishment.  

Throwing facts at illogic never reaches home.  

Point me in the right direction. Where is the bashing and name calling? Or is calling the Sunshine Destiny name calling?

If I point you to two will you agree with me?

Could you explain the logic of your post? I fail to see any at all.

Your post on it being critical and cruise critic..  

3 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Yes, but these are press releases about their refurb. Of course they are not deceptive. But new cruisers to Carnival, or any line, do not say to each other, "Let's check the refurb press releases before we book." They go to the website. Now, the Carnival site is transparent. You read "Radiance - coming in 2020" and it tells you immediately it is the improved Victory - and that's great and fair and not deceptive. Great marketing. But when Sunrise was "introduced" the website and other marketing clearly said the "new Sunshine." That was the deception. The approach seems to have been corrected and is perfectly fair and informative - now.

If I point you to two will you agree with me?

Yes, I would.

Yes, but these are press releases about their refurb. Of course they are not deceptive. But new cruisers to Carnival, or any line, do not say to each other, "Let's check the refurb press releases before we book." They go to the website. Now, the Carnival site is transparent. You read "Radiance - coming in 2020" and it tells you immediately it is the improved Victory - and that's great and fair and not deceptive. Great marketing. But when Sunrise was "introduced" the website and other marketing clearly said the "new Sunshine." That was the deception. The approach seems to have been corrected and is perfectly fair and informative - now.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

5 minutes ago, John Reid said:

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

LOL....touche

10 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Suuuure.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, John Reid said:

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Ive been on some 15-16 carnival cruises. I’ve been on their website a zillion times scoping out cruises or exploring ships and deck plans. I don’t recall ever seeing carnival refer to the sunshine or sunrise as a “new” ship with no reference to what they were previously named. 

Its funny how you accused them of deception and passing off the ships as being brand new, then when presented with dozens of press releases they all of a sudden don’t count. LOL. 

Edited by RRLLAL

From the booking engine:

Shipyard: Transformation in Cadiz, Spain
Inaugural cruise: April 29, 2019
Godmother: Madeleine Arison, Wife of Micky Arison
Country of registry: Bahamas
Cost: $410 million
Cruising speed: 21 knots  
Formerly Carnival Triumph 
Shipyard: Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani, Italy
Inaugural cruise: October 23, 1999
Godmother: Madeleine Arison, Wife of Micky Arison, Carnival Corporation's Chairman.
Country of registry: Bahamas
Cost: $410 million
Cruising speed: 21 knots