ed01106

Is the Sunrise a new ship?

Is Sunrise a new ship or a renamed one?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sunrise a brand new ship.

• Yes
    • No, it is renamed formerly the Triumph

38 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I cannot consider these ships "new" because they basically have the same bones and deck designs that are 20 years old.  Sure, with a 2 month dry dock you can basically gut the decor and replace all the furniture... and change the top deck features.  But the plumbing and electric plant are mostly the same.  Engines and generators - I think the same but refurbished as any ship dry dock (open to being told this was more - can't find any info on this.)

The added cabin capacity worries me as I was on Destiny and it was crowded at times.  So the changes for the entertainment and food venues is critical but that buffet crowd... that's what I would expect to be trouble.

I think it is misleading for Carnival to market them as "all new."  I would be happier with "Reinvented" or something like that.

Carnival isn’t marketing them as all new. 

10 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Carnival isn’t marketing them as all new. 

They probably learned their lesson when the Sunshine was leaking water throughout the ship into drip buckets and constantly delayed due to vandalism. If Carnival was able to deceive others again, they would be marketing the Sunrise and Radiance as brand new... just as they did to the Sunshine.

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

They probably learned their lesson when the Sunshine was leaking water throughout the ship into drip buckets and constantly delayed due to vandalism. If Carnival was able to deceive others again, they would be marketing the Sunrise and Radiance as brand new... just as they did to the Sunshine.

LOLOL. 

9 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Sunshine-was-set-back-by-vandalism-reveals-CEO

4 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Oh yeah, Gerry Cahill. Forgot about him now that the focus is on Duffy the Destroyer.

I heard good things about Uncle Bob though. He wouldn't call this a new ship. 😉

Edited by xDisconnections

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

I cannot consider these ships "new" because they basically have the same bones and deck designs that are 20 years old.  Sure, with a 2 month dry dock you can basically gut the decor and replace all the furniture... and change the top deck features.  But the plumbing and electric plant are mostly the same.  Engines and generators - I think the same but refurbished as any ship dry dock (open to being told this was more - can't find any info on this.)

And most of the cruisers who purposely avoided the Triumph  did so  because of a lack of trust in the engines and electric plant.  Carnival keeps the crappy generators and upgrades the waterslide and restaurants.  Woohoo! 

3 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

And most of the cruisers who purposely avoided the Triumph  did so  because of a lack of trust in the engines and electric plant.  Carnival keeps the crappy generators and upgrades the waterslide and restaurants.  Woohoo! 

Yea, they never fixed those issues. 

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

The added cabin capacity worries me as I was on Destiny and it was crowded at times.  So the changes for the entertainment and food venues is critical but that buffet crowd... that's what I would expect to be trouble.

I think it is misleading for Carnival to market them as "all new."  I would be happier with "Reinvented" or something like that.

See post 76 and tell me how that is misleading.  Have you sailed on the Sunshine or the Sunrise?

48 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Yea, they never fixed those issues. 

Has the Triumph power plant failed since the incident in question?

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Jason.....it is getting pretty weak from argument perspective.  Whenever I see probably in the beginning of a post I say uh oh.  What they did learn was to use a facility that could do the jog right and finish on time.  Pretty impressive actually.  

13 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Has the Triumph power plant failed since the incident in question?

They did have a couple of propulsion issues. Once for a few minutes and once where they took the ship out for one cruise and had work done. 

1 minute ago, RRLLAL said:

They did have a couple of propulsion issues. Once for a few minutes and once where they took the ship out for one cruise and had work done. 

a couple minutes..... and the 2nd when the work was done was an alarm issue and nothing propulsion wise.  So the fire happened in 2013, for argument sake lets say beginning 2014 she has had no issues,....5 1/2 years, 265 sailings (at least), error free, yeah she is barely keeping afloat.....  IF (a big if) people actually thought that way (I would give odds the vast majority of cruisers that sailed her never heard of the event in question) then that alone is reason enough to do a name change.  But wait, that logic flies out the window because they are doing 3 reinventions (which are actually really impressive).  

Now the generators wee placed on board because of a design flaw (which is how the fire actually started) and being able to have the redundancy they thought they originally had.  All that said, stuff does happen, to Carnival, to Royal, to Princess, etc, etc.  When you use these beasts week after week after week the law of averages demands it.

I just read all 6 pages, and I have come to the conclussion that all of this nastiness is ridiculous. What a silly thing to get upset about. I'm thinking some of you are the type who feel they had a bad day when they break a fingernail.Why do so many "first world" problems have to get so ugly?

15 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Again, the word “new” is used by haters. Thanks for showing some examples. 

The word NEW was used by Carnival on their website, for the Sunshine, until they were shamed into removing the red banner over the picture of the ship. I have a screenshot somewhere, but that was what, 5 years or more ago?  I'd have to search for it, now, but is it really worth the effort to prove the point to you?  Nobody cares how much you protest.  You're just wrong about this. 😂

18 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

The word NEW was used by Carnival on their website, for the Sunshine, until they were shamed into removing the red banner over the picture of the ship. I have a screenshot somewhere, but that was what, 5 years or more ago?  I'd have to search for it, now, but is it really worth the effort to prove the point to you?  Nobody cares how much you protest.  You're just wrong about this. 😂

Did you ever click on the ship to see what this “new” ship was? Or did you get tricked? And you’ll notice some are talking about all 3 transformations. 

Edited by RRLLAL

25 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

From 2012

0FB4A846-1E34-4989-B0FC-7E26A08C6286.png

5 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Did you ever click on the ship to see what this “new” ship was? Or did you get tricked? And you’ll notice some are talking about all 3 transformations. 

Your primitive obfuscations aside, Carnival had a red banner over the picture of the Sunshine on their website proclaiming it as NEW.  The banner was quickly removed when they were called out for trying to be deceptive. End of story. There are screenshots in case you don't believe your lying eyes. 😂

3 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

Your primitive obfuscations aside, Carnival had a red banner over the picture of the Sunshine on their website proclaiming it as NEW.  The banner was quickly removed when they were called out for trying to be deceptive. End of story. There are screenshots in case you don't believe your lying eyes. 😂

Can vouch — I saw it live and was actually excited when the Sunshine announcements were originally announced. Schultz was kind enough to post the banner on CC years ago.

I even almost booked the 18 day crossing on the Destiny to Rome because it was so cheap. Glad I decided against that.

15 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

The horror. I guess since the Mardi Gras and radiance both have the same banner, coming 2020, they must be of the same status. Brand new. 

And if if you had clicked on the sunshine banner you would have seen it wasn’t a brand new ship. I don’t know of a single person who books a cruise based upon a banner on the explore our ship page. 

Edited by RRLLAL

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What the heck are you trying to say....I read this 4 times and have no idea...

Dear jimbo554,

Simply in your laymans English;

Same ship, new name and new Godmother. Adding multiple cabins and nmot more space nor seating for us Paying Cruisers as you well know that four letter word ((FREE) is not actual as you pay for it in the fares.

Greed got the betterment of this ship build..

5 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Dear jimbo554,

Simply in your laymans English;

Same ship, new name and new Godmother. Adding multiple cabins and nmot more space nor seating for us Paying Cruisers as you well know that four letter word ((FREE) is not actual as you pay for it in the fares.

Greed got the betterment of this ship build..

I was not aware that other cruise lines limited the number of cabins....huh.  Do you really think there is to limited space for seating?  Have you been on the ship?

Is it just possible that on these particular ships carnival Just missed their mark with the process and advertising of them?? I am not a fan of all the common area they ate up to put more rooms. I don't care if they add rooms but the cost of common space which is a premium to begin with on some ships is a problem that I share with some people. It only take a small weight over the threshold to break a camels back, maybe 400 more people is too much for this ship? Maybe they didn't add what Carnival loyalist like? Maybe they were just a tad too greedy? Maybe people believe that all the ships will some day be enlarged with more cabins and less common space? Maybe make profits by redesigning but not advancing the ships is because cut backs don't seem to be doing enough??

Many ships have issues not all as serious as the Triumph did, but if carnival did a refurb on it and modernized it like it was in the same sphere as the some of the other new  ships that have recently been delivered would this even be a discussion??

Just a thought - the carnival faithful can take over again

Speaking of Royal Amplified, the press release for Allure was just recently posted and they are NOT changing the name of the ship. There's some great changes coming- looking forward to them on the transatlantic.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1403/new-amplified-adventures-on-royal-caribbeans-allure-of-the-seas-to-make-a-summer-splash-in-europe/?fbclid=IwAR0SEzqeT3AZDjo-9poHdMYePUSQk93Eo3Cg9PXgT5e-8DnanxuIv7OPgCM

38 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Speaking of Royal Amplified, the press release for Allure was just recently posted and they are NOT changing the name of the ship. There's some great changes coming- looking forward to them on the transatlantic.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1403/new-amplified-adventures-on-royal-caribbeans-allure-of-the-seas-to-make-a-summer-splash-in-europe/?fbclid=IwAR0SEzqeT3AZDjo-9poHdMYePUSQk93Eo3Cg9PXgT5e-8DnanxuIv7OPgCM

I will move on as we are now doing commercials for Royal (wonder where they got the ideas for the slides and water park)?  If you think this is similar to what was done on the Sunrise I give up.