Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ed01106

Is the Sunrise a new ship?

Is Sunrise a new ship or a renamed one?  

113 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Sunrise a brand new ship.

    • Yes
      4
    • No, it is renamed formerly the Triumph
      110


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

 

Upset? Who’s upset? I’d say it’s this people falsely downplaying what changes were made. Pretty much everything was changed inside that ship and some can’t admit it. The changes are no big deal supposedly. Anyone that sailed the triumph and now the sunshine can see the total makeover. W en all the color schemes were changed and it is a beautiful ship. If you don’t like steakhouse fine. If you don’t like Italian food fine. If you don’t like bbq fine. If you aren’t interested in the largest red frog pub at sea oh well. Of you don’t enjoy a huge water park ok. If you don’t like rope courses fine. If you have no interest in suites at the very forward of the ship that’s fine. If total makeovers of all cabins in decor, colors, USB ports and bathrooms oh well. If a reconfiguration of one of the dining rooms to add more seating is a bad idea then hmmm. Do you like having a real coffee shop with huge doughnuts and muffins? Mmmm. Better than a counter in a hallway. A full bonsai sushi restaurant? Yes. A serenity area that triumph didn’t have. Adding ADA elevators to the upper decks is great for those handicapped. Do you like shopping? More stores were added. How about using the spa? It was expanded and modified. Relaxing. Do you like Asian food? Try the lucky bowl. Like many food options, it’s Free. 

 

Thats many of the changes, but not all. So anyone saying the changes were blah or no big deal can keep saying that. If you can get past the crowding on the lido deck buffet and figure out when to go or by using other free food options, you’d have a great time on a beautiful new ship. 

 

Try it, you just might like it. 

Hate to jump in since you seem like a huge cheerleader.... almost press agent. But having just gotten off the ship last week, a few comments. The color schemes are better but still a bit of a rusty ship if you look at it closely, cabin decor was decent but balcony door was still old, balcony dividers were old and clanky waking me up, bathroom could not have been updated, it's hideous and cheap. I tried to get coffee and donuts 3 times at the new coffee shop but gave up when I realized the one barista working wasn't going to get to me within 30 minutes.  Serenity was decent (especially the bar) except for the fact that the kids club and water slides are right next to it making it not very serene. I'm not sure how many shops there were before but i don't recall seeing more than 3 or 4. Massages I had were great in the spa but I was annoyed that I paid extra for a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony to get access to the Thermal Suite but they didn't add a thalassotherapy pool like they did on Sunshine so it was useless to me. Lucky Bowl was good but they only had 3 dishes each day and it was pre-made bowls of noodles and veggies that they would top with meat and a laddle of broth. Not sure why but there was always a wait even though it should be very quick. But I'd take a 5 minute wait over the 30 minute wait at the buffet. Italian restaurant was bad for both lunch and dinner. Steakhouse was very good. 

 

I don't have an idea of how big the other Red Frogs are but when there was an event like trivia, you could barely find a place to stand much less sit. And I'm not sure what you mean by "huge water park", it was 2 slides. 

 

I think the changes made the ship more up to date and bearable but it's still old and adding extra cabins made it way too overcrowded. They're trying to squeeze in as much as possible but it creates a sub-par product... In my opinion. At least it wasn't as tacky as past Carnival ships I've been on. 

 

PS - I didn't appreciate the power going out 2 seconds after I finally hit a bonus on a slot machine. Came back on after 5 or 10 minutes, and after waiting for the machine to reboot, the bonus popped up where it left off. But still never heard of why the ship went dark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paulras said:

Hate to jump in since you seem like a huge cheerleader.... almost press agent. But having just gotten off the ship last week, a few comments. The color schemes are better but still a bit of a rusty ship if you look at it closely, cabin decor was decent but balcony door was still old, balcony dividers were old and clanky waking me up, bathroom could not have been updated, it's hideous and cheap. I tried to get coffee and donuts 3 times at the new coffee shop but gave up when I realized the one barista working wasn't going to get to me within 30 minutes.  Serenity was decent (especially the bar) except for the fact that the kids club and water slides are right next to it making it not very serene. I'm not sure how many shops there were before but i don't recall seeing more than 3 or 4. Massages I had were great in the spa but I was annoyed that I paid extra for a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony to get access to the Thermal Suite but they didn't add a thalassotherapy pool like they did on Sunshine so it was useless to me. Lucky Bowl was good but they only had 3 dishes each day and it was pre-made bowls of noodles and veggies that they would top with meat and a laddle of broth. Not sure why but there was always a wait even though it should be very quick. But I'd take a 5 minute wait over the 30 minute wait at the buffet. Italian restaurant was bad for both lunch and dinner. Steakhouse was very good. 

 

I don't have an idea of how big the other Red Frogs are but when there was an event like trivia, you could barely find a place to stand much less sit. And I'm not sure what you mean by "huge water park", it was 2 slides. 

 

I think the changes made the ship more up to date and bearable but it's still old and adding extra cabins made it way too overcrowded. They're trying to squeeze in as much as possible but it creates a sub-par product... In my opinion. At least it wasn't as tacky as past Carnival ships I've been on. 

 

PS - I didn't appreciate the power going out 2 seconds after I finally hit a bonus on a slot machine. Came back on after 5 or 10 minutes, and after waiting for the machine to reboot, the bonus popped up where it left off. But still never heard of why the ship went dark. 

 

The color scheme used to be purple and dark woods. Now it’s light colored wood and lots of gold and silver. The bathrooms used to be a pinkish color now it’s a bluish. If you think the carnival bathrooms are cheap, I’ve heard many complaints about the size on other lines. I went to the coffee shop every single morning of the 14 days. I never waited more than 10 minutes and sometimes it was 5 minutes. You think the counter was quicker of the triumph? Fewer people maybe because it wasn’t a real coffee shop? According to carnival it is the largest red frog. Yes it could get crowded but we always found a seat. Either near the entrance on a couch or around the corner in the back. The water park was more than two slides. Those are the bigger ones. They had several smaller ones for kids along with a splash area for the kids and a bucket that dumps water on you. Triumph I think had the one slide.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Paulras said:

Hate to jump in since you seem like a huge cheerleader.... almost press agent. But having just gotten off the ship last week, a few comments. The color schemes are better but still a bit of a rusty ship if you look at it closely, cabin decor was decent but balcony door was still old, balcony dividers were old and clanky waking me up, bathroom could not have been updated, it's hideous and cheap. I tried to get coffee and donuts 3 times at the new coffee shop but gave up when I realized the one barista working wasn't going to get to me within 30 minutes.  Serenity was decent (especially the bar) except for the fact that the kids club and water slides are right next to it making it not very serene. I'm not sure how many shops there were before but i don't recall seeing more than 3 or 4. Massages I had were great in the spa but I was annoyed that I paid extra for a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony to get access to the Thermal Suite but they didn't add a thalassotherapy pool like they did on Sunshine so it was useless to me. Lucky Bowl was good but they only had 3 dishes each day and it was pre-made bowls of noodles and veggies that they would top with meat and a laddle of broth. Not sure why but there was always a wait even though it should be very quick. But I'd take a 5 minute wait over the 30 minute wait at the buffet. Italian restaurant was bad for both lunch and dinner. Steakhouse was very good. 

 

I don't have an idea of how big the other Red Frogs are but when there was an event like trivia, you could barely find a place to stand much less sit. And I'm not sure what you mean by "huge water park", it was 2 slides. 

 

I think the changes made the ship more up to date and bearable but it's still old and adding extra cabins made it way too overcrowded. They're trying to squeeze in as much as possible but it creates a sub-par product... In my opinion. At least it wasn't as tacky as past Carnival ships I've been on. 

 

PS - I didn't appreciate the power going out 2 seconds after I finally hit a bonus on a slot machine. Came back on after 5 or 10 minutes, and after waiting for the machine to reboot, the bonus popped up where it left off. But still never heard of why the ship went dark. 

It's as though he personally selected segments of the dry dock or participated in its execution...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

It's as though he personally selected segments of the dry dock or participated in its execution...

 

No. It’s as if I can read and see. Unlike others I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

 

No. It’s as if I can read and see. Unlike others I guess. 

I’m really glad you enjoy the Carnival Sunrise. It’s truly genuine.

Edited by xDisconnections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the tale of two ships. 

 

I will I’ll agree with one comment about the coffee shop that always annoys me. They don’t have baristas on the ships to keep the am crowd happy with their Java. You can wait a while for your cup of joe. 

 

Carnivals bathrooms are larger than the other lines but the curtain is a drawback. All the other ships on the other lines except one had a shower door that was def more sanitary. 

 

RRLLAL is defiantly a carnival enthusiast - but hey that’s great! Nothing wrong with that. Just wondering have you been on the other lines newer ships? Out of NY I have taken advantage of NCL (Gem, Breakaway, escape) and Royals (anthem). I have been on all the Carnival ships since 2013 (Miracle, splendor, sunshine, horizon) and it’s interesting to compare them - a whole other topic, but I would love to hear how you would describe those ships.

 

I still don’t think the Sunrise meets the level of some of those ships - I’m not talking about the experience or the details of their unique cruising offerings. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

It’s the tale of two ships. 

 

I will I’ll agree with one comment about the coffee shop that always annoys me. They don’t have baristas on the ships to keep the am crowd happy with their Java. You can wait a while for your cup of joe. 

 

Carnivals bathrooms are larger than the other lines but the curtain is a drawback. All the other ships on the other lines except one had a shower door that was def more sanitary. 

 

RRLLAL is defiantly a carnival enthusiast - but hey that’s great! Nothing wrong with that. Just wondering have you been on the other lines newer ships? Out of NY I have taken advantage of NCL (Gem, Breakaway, escape) and Royals (anthem). I have been on all the Carnival ships since 2013 (Miracle, splendor, sunshine, horizon) and it’s interesting to compare them - a whole other topic, but I would love to hear how you would describe those ships.

 

I still don’t think the Sunrise meets the level of some of those ships - I’m not talking about the experience or the details of their unique cruising offerings. 

 

 

Ive done all carnival cruises plus one RCL out of Bayonne nj on the anthem of the seas. I loved that ship too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

 

Ive done all carnival cruises plus one RCL out of Bayonne nj on the anthem of the seas. I loved that ship too. 

 

Do you believe that the upgrades on the Sunrise hit the level of Anthem? Anthem has no water slides but has the sportsplex which is crazy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Stick93 said:

 

Do you believe that the upgrades on the Sunrise hit the level of Anthem? Anthem has no water slides but has the sportsplex which is crazy! 

I had a cruise booked on the Ovation but had to cancel it. From what I saw, the Ovation looked amazing and I cannot wait for a Quantum class ship to come to Fort Lauderdale.

 

Quantum Class > Sunshine Class

Edited by xDisconnections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

 

Do you believe that the upgrades on the Sunrise hit the level of Anthem? Anthem has no water slides but has the sportsplex which is crazy! 

 

aesthetically no carnival ship I’ve been on compares to the anthem of the seas. Hopefully the Mardi Gras will which I just recently booked. But there are some upgrades the sunrise did that are better than what the anthem has unless there’s been changes since 2017. One is the free food options at lunchtime. I did a comparison someplace in this thread or maybe another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

 

aesthetically no carnival ship I’ve been on compares to the anthem of the seas. Hopefully the Mardi Gras will which I just recently booked. But there are some upgrades the sunrise did that are better than what the anthem has unless there’s been changes since 2017. One is the free food options at lunchtime. I did a comparison someplace in this thread or maybe another. 

 

Carnival has built three ships since anthem and retrofit the Sunrise. I think the point people are making is that they have not been blown out of the water by them as they have not come close to what the other major cruise lines have been able to build. Additionally if you are redoing a ship and pumping it up with a $200 million dry dock and a new name that should be something spectacular and on the next level which clearly the Sunrise is not. 

 

Celebrity has just redone the summit and it’s sisters which is sailing in NY/NJ with a total retro fit job - wonder how that compares to the Sunrise. 

 

Free food and other things are nice - but the bottom line is people are looking at the ship. It’s should have been brought much more forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I had a cruise booked on the Ovation but had to cancel it. From what I saw, the Ovation looked amazing and I cannot wait for a Quantum class ship to come to Fort Lauderdale.

 

Quantum Class > Sunshine Class

 

Dont think Florida would get a quantum ship as it’s a better winter ship than summer - can hammer that out on RCCL boards. The point is comparing the ships. I agree quantum is >>>>>>>>>sunshine class (ship to ship). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

 

It’s quite obvious you have no clue about the totality of the transformation. 

 

You're just trolling this posting.  No one could be so vehemently blind and defensive in an earnest manner.  I am quite aware of the refurbishment and redecorating and extra cabins added to this 20 year old ship during its dry dock.  Total transformation is a gut busting laugh. 

Edited by LMaxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

 

You two must be very proud.....amazing how some things never change....report back to the old crew say hi for me.

Jim relax with your personal attacks.  They are as pathetic now as they always are.  Not a good look 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

 

 

Celebrity has just redone the summit and it’s sisters which is sailing in NY/NJ with a total retro fit job - wonder how that compares to the Sunrise. 

 

 

 

I'll know in about 6 weeks when I'm on Summit (yes, 2 very different Bermuda cruises in the same summer). And I believe both Summit and Sunrise are about the same age and had major overhauls only months ago. So should be an interesting comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stick93 said:

 

Carnival has built three ships since anthem and retrofit the Sunrise. I think the point people are making is that they have not been blown out of the water by them as they have not come close to what the other major cruise lines have been able to build. Additionally if you are redoing a ship and pumping it up with a $200 million dry dock and a new name that should be something spectacular and on the next level which clearly the Sunrise is not. 

 

Celebrity has just redone the summit and it’s sisters which is sailing in NY/NJ with a total retro fit job - wonder how that compares to the Sunrise. 

 

Free food and other things are nice - but the bottom line is people are looking at the ship. It’s should have been brought much more forward. 

 

The actual size of the ship has a lot to do with how much you can actually put in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

You're just trolling this posting.  No one could be so vehemently blind and defensive in an earnest manner.  I am quite aware of the refurbishment and redecorating and extra cabins added to this 20 year old ship during its dry dock.  Total transformation is a gut busting laugh. 

 

Then bust a gut. From the triumph to the sunrise it was a total transformation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

 

Then bust a gut. From the triumph to the sunrise it was a total transformation. 

 

It took awhile, but now I can see clearly.  My wife is about to go through elective plastic surgery. The surgeon told her she will feel like a new person. I'm going to rename her. I'm deciding between Sunblock and Sunburn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Reid said:

 

It took awhile, but now I can see clearly.  My wife is about to go through elective plastic surgery. The surgeon told her she will feel like a new person. I'm going to rename her. I'm deciding between Sunblock and Sunburn. 

 

Yawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulras said:

 

I'll know in about 6 weeks when I'm on Summit (yes, 2 very different Bermuda cruises in the same summer). And I believe both Summit and Sunrise are about the same age and had major overhauls only months ago. So should be an interesting comparison. 

Would love to hear back on that comparison.  How awesome!  I think if the Sunrise wasn't so crowded it would have been better for me.  I gave it a B mainly because there were just a ton of folks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

 

Yawn

 

Hmm - Yawn was a name I hadn't considered. It has potential.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...