Cruise Critic Community
Cruise a holic

Royal Suite vs Penthouse

Posted (edited)

Hi my DH and I are booked on the Equinox in a Royal suite.  We have never been in a Royal suite and it looks wonderful!  We have a possible move up opportunity to go into a penthouse.  I want some feedback from seasoned sailors if paying additional payment is worth it.  We would not get the additional cruise critic points- but those allocated to a Royal suite.  Also it would be a bid and since no Penthouse are listed as available- probably will not even happen. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Cruise a holic

Was in RS on Equinox and it was wonderful!  I loved the added tier of benefits that included all specialty dining.  Although I have not been in the PH, the RS offered 1.5 bathrooms and plenty of living space and for the amount of time we were in our cabin, I think it was perfect.  If you are planning on entertaining a small or even large group of people then the PH might be worth it.  For us, the level of service combined with extra amenities couldn't really be enhanced further with the PH.  We are in another RS on Silhouette in November.  PH suite was available when we booked, but we opted to remain with the RS.  BUT, if the PH suite is on your bucket list, then go for it!

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Was in RS on Equinox and it was wonderful!  I loved the added tier of benefits that included all specialty dining.  Although I have not been in the PH, the RS offered 1.5 bathrooms and plenty of living space and for the amount of time we were in our cabin, I think it was perfect.  If you are planning on entertaining a small or even large group of people then the PH might be worth it.  For us, the level of service combined with extra amenities couldn't really be enhanced further with the PH.  We are in another RS on Silhouette in November.  PH suite was available when we booked, but we opted to remain with the RS.  BUT, if the PH suite is on your bucket list, then go for it!

Thank you for the opinion.  Yes, it is on our bucket list.  We are young seniors and honestly have witnessed friends dying or becoming disabled and think why wait- today we have the health and opportunity to do things- who knows about tomorrow!  Some people save their money and never live to spend it-  Perhaps we will keep the bid in place and let what happens -happen!

Ah, see?  I think you just answered your own question.  If it's on your bucket list, you are of able mind, body, and finances, then you should not wait for the opportunity to unfold in your favor as it likely will not if left up to the bidding process.  My opinion is to seize the opportunity while it is available.  (Of course, I am also really good at spending other people's money 😁)  I hope it works out!

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ah, see?  I think you just answered your own question.  If it's on your bucket list, you are of able mind, body, and finances, then you should not wait for the opportunity to unfold in your favor as it likely will not if left up to the bidding process.  My opinion is to seize the opportunity while it is available.  (Of course, I am also really good at spending other people's money 😁)  I hope it works out!

Txs

Posted (edited)

We are regular S class RS cruisers who occasionally splurge on a PH.

I would say that the S class RS meets our every cruising need for perks and comfort....

The PH offers a decadence of light and space....I cruised the Eclipse PH while on crutches and it was a long walk anywhere!!!

We do watch prices and think about ‘value added’ for the price difference.

On M class we do go for the PH because it really is a different level again of accommodation compared to the RS.

On S class we are happy with the RS...If we have something special to celebrate or prices are reasonable then we will go for decadence....

If you have never experienced and the chance arises go for it...

Edited by chemmo

If you were traveling with a family I would say the PS would offer the room that you need.   If you plan on entertaining large groups of passengers then choose the PS.

For two people the RS is decadent enough.   You have room for six folks to dine comfortably and you have an additional powder room.    You receive all of the perks of a PS at a better price.

I am happy to spend your money and advise you to let your bid ride.  The PH is a great cabin, with a nice bathroom and a fabulous bathroom.  It's a step up from the RS - which is perfectly fine - in every way.  I too am getting to the age where I look for these special ways to create lifetime memories.  I wish you many many happy cruises. 

Thanks all for your opinions-  We can pull our bid if I get cold feet and "slum" it in the Royal suite!  Better invite some cruise critic members to a cocktail party!  

We've been lucky enough to sail Royal on several cruises, all on the Solstice class ships. We just did a successful MoveUp to Royal from Celebrity on Eclipse for an Alaska cruise in a month or so. The MoveUp offer for Penthouse is more than we want to spend, even at the minimum bid level. I would think that if we were sailing with family the Penthouse might work better, however it's typically just the two of us and the nearly 600 square feet of stateroom affords us enough room to walk by each other with room to spare. The perks and amenities are all great and other than maybe cruise ship employee recognition for having a Penthouse I can't imagine service would be any better.

That said, we did have one blah experience at Murano one night (Yes, it happens) but that was because of just employee who was a jerk. We had three more reservations there and we cancelled them and dined in Luminae, knowing the service and staff there were outstanding.

Now, following your logic about aging and life I would very much encourage you to spend the dollars and book the Penthouse. No need to leave that pittance to your beneficiaries.

We are long time Celebrity cruisers and have had the opportunity to sail in both Royal Suites and Penthouse Suites on both M Class and S Class ships

The Penthouse is a wonderful experience, but these days, the pricing on the Penthouse is really getting to a point of being ridiculous.

We booked a Royal Suite on Equinox in April of 2020 and the PH is twice the price of the Royal Suite. In our opinion, the difference in price is just too much versus the difference in the experience.

Please don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to be a Penthouse guest, as staff on board will assist you in having a most enjoyable cruise. The only question is “at what price?”

If you get a chance to upgrade to a PH through Move Up or from paying extra to upgrade, if a PH shows itself last minute, look at the price differential and see if it makes sense for you.

If you do not get the opportunity to get a PH booking this time, it might make sense to keep your eyes open for future cruises. 

Enjoy tour time in your Royal Suite, or better!

Randy

I have one big problem with the S Class RS vs M Class.  When sailing with a parent or a child staying in the living room, you are stuck in the Bedroom with no way to the balcony.  There is no door to open for fresh air in the bedroom of the S Class RS.  Being stuck in the bedroom until the relative wakes up is a bummer.  We would never disturb anyone by walking past them and opening the balcony door during sleeping hours.

Cruising without a living room relative is fine except we like to sleep with the balcony door opened a bit to hear the sounds and breath some fresh oxygenated air.  When you open the drapes in the S Class bedroom you see a very intrusive jacuzzi in front of the window.  The design of the balcony makes me wonder.

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Thanks all for your opinions-  We can pull our bid if I get cold feet and "slum" it in the Royal suite!  Better invite some cruise critic members to a cocktail party!  

Yes once you place a MoveUp bid you can return at any time to modify or cancel it as long as it has not yet been accepted.

We've literally just had this decision.  Long time X cruises, CS if only 2 of us, RS if we have (adult) DD as well.  We're all 3 on Sihouette in 4 weeks in an RS.  Got the move up bid offer and did really think about it.  But the perks are really no different.  Its just about the space.  The minimum bid we felt was just too high for the benefits (additional floor space really..) which came with it.  Suite pricing has gone silly money recently.  We're all 3 back in a CS in 2020 - but would put in a move up bid to RS if the price is reasonable!

3 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

We've literally just had this decision.  Long time X cruises, CS if only 2 of us, RS if we have (adult) DD as well.  We're all 3 on Sihouette in 4 weeks in an RS.  Got the move up bid offer and did really think about it.  But the perks are really no different.  Its just about the space.  The minimum bid we felt was just too high for the benefits (additional floor space really..) which came with it.  Suite pricing has gone silly money recently.  We're all 3 back in a CS in 2020 - but would put in a move up bid to RS if the price is reasonable!

I think the jump in room quality, perks and service is definitely more between CS and RS than RS to PH...

3 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

2 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

Absolutely true!

Looking at the difference between a Celebrity and Royal suite are significant.  Two bathrooms, albeit one shower is a great perk.  Also, the whirlpool on the balcony a great perk.  And the unlimited specialty dining is wonderful.  Of course more space.  I really think that between a royal and Celebrity suite are significant-  But do we really need a penthouse?  Still have my bid in, but time to change if I really want to.

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Looking at the difference between a Celebrity and Royal suite are significant.  Two bathrooms, albeit one shower is a great perk.  Also, the whirlpool on the balcony a great perk.  And the unlimited specialty dining is wonderful.  Of course more space.  I really think that between a royal and Celebrity suite are significant-  But do we really need a penthouse?  Still have my bid in, but time to change if I really want to.

No one really ever needs a PH but should one experience one if the opportunity arises?

It was ‘Project gal’ on cruise critic whose reviews made me feel we should give a PH a go and we did! No regrets!

The RS offers every perk and service you could ever want on a cruise...The PH offers decadence....The only word I can think off to describe the experience...

would anyone like to sponsor me in a RS or PH, I don't think that I will otherwise get the opportunity unless my lottery numbers come up.

We sure enjoyed our Hawaiian cruise on the Solstice in the PH suite. Probably one of our favorite cruises to date (and there hasn't been a bad one) No regrets.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

would anyone like to sponsor me in a RS or PH, I don't think that I will otherwise get the opportunity unless my lottery numbers come up.

Along time ago in a galaxy far, far away we were steerage on RC and passed by an M class ship and spotted the amazing PH balcony....we laughed and said ‘ One day...’

Dreams do come true but sometimes you have to do some saving and do without other things rather than a fairy appearing....

Some people choose more cruises in lower cabins or more vacations per year...Some of us choose an occasional splurge into fantasy cruise land.

Edited by chemmo

It was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek too, thats my sense of humour

9 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

It was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek too, thats my sense of humour

Taken as such...I must add that as ones opportunities in life narrows in one field it can expand in others...

Note I do not believe royal suites on summit or infinity have two bathrooms like on solstice class

51 minutes ago, George C said:

Note I do not believe royal suites on summit or infinity have two bathrooms like on solstice class

That is correct. On M-Class ships there is only one bathroom in a RS. 

We’ve sailed in the RS and the PH on the Summit and in the PH on the Silhouette. 

Much prefer the M-class PH. The balcony and butlers pantry are the best features and were sorely missed on our last cruise.  

With the pricing the way it is lately, we may have to try an S-class RS, although the videos I’ve seen make it look so much smaller and closed in compared to the one on the Summit.