Miami Beach hotel one night

We just booked Symphony for next May.  Airfare is truly crazy expensive!   Those of you living within driving distance to the ports, be thankful.      We are arriving just one day pre cruise and would love to stay on Miami Beach instead of downtown.   It’s just one night, would like to just take a walk, have dinner and sleep.  Is it a hassle to/from Miami Beach as opposed to downtown? Any suggestions where to stay?    

Thanks as always for any suggestions.  

Not a hassle at all.

I always use hotwire to book my Miami Beach hotels.

The Catalina Beach Resort is a great value.  Temperpedic beds, black out curtains, free happy hour, rooftop pool, etc.

I've gotten it as cheap at $50 in summer and $100 in peak season off hotwire.

It's across the street from the beach but includes beach chairs in the resort fee.  FWIW,  all Miami beach hotels will charge a resort fee.

Not a hassle at all. 

For dinner I suggest YardBird (make reservations) right off Lincoln Road, which should not be missed for walking around before and after dinner. 

Edit: 

Are you coming Memorial Day weekend? Then Miami Beach is a hassle and should be avoided. 

Edited by Flymia

My opinion, give it a miss and stay in an airport hotel. Miami as a whole is a pit and South Beach in particular is dire. Rip off dinner prices, oh don't forget they automatically add a 20% tip to your bill which is illegal.

You give them bills and even if you pay the tip you won't get any change. We got chased 2 blocks up Ocean Drive by a waiter once because I left him 35 cents less than the total bill including tip.

We always felt a bit on edge, intimidated, English is not the first language there. 

2 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

My opinion, give it a miss and stay in an airport hotel. Miami as a whole is a pit and South Beach in particular is dire. Rip off dinner prices, oh don't forget they automatically add a 20% tip to your bill which is illegal.

You give them bills and even if you pay the tip you won't get any change. We got chased 2 blocks up Ocean Drive by a waiter once because I left him 35 cents less than the total bill including tip.

We always felt a bit on edge, intimidated, English is not the first language there. 

Aww!  Miami is gorgeous!  Sorry you had a bad experience.

Yes, they will criminally charge you if you don't pay your bill.  The mandatory service charge was put into place for our foreign visitors who don't understand our tipping system.  Hotels and restaurants were unable to keep employees.

And yes, I am a southerner, I do dream about fried chicken!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

It's actually not illegal to add a 20% tip to your bill here in the US and as Blue Herons stated is common in areas with a large tourist destination.  As many visitors come from cultures that do not tip as the wages are high in their countries in restaurants and bars, they had to do this as ours are not even close. 

Sorry you feel that Miami as a whole is a pit.  There are lots of beautiful areas here in Miami, lots of nature and beautiful beaches and water. 

English is the first language and only language for many of us that live here in Miami!

Hope your next visit to the area is a better one if you do come back.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, Flymia said:

Not a hassle at all. 

For dinner I suggest YardBird (make reservations) right off Lincoln Road, which should not be missed for walking around before and after dinner. 

Edit: 

Are you coming Memorial Day weekend? Then Miami Beach is a hassle and should be avoided. 

We won’t be there Memorial Day weekend.  Early May.    Thanks for the restaurant recommendation!

5 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

We’ve stayed in Miami twice before other cruises, to be honest, it just felt like a city.  Nothing special other than cruise ships. I’ve seen mixed reviews about airport hotels, so we’ll skip those.   If we could afford the Fountainbleu (600) we’d stay there.  

After recommendations from another board here, I looked up The Betsy. Wouldn't mind staying there! Alas, $650 for the one night before our December cruise is a little higher than my budget for the night. We booked The Mondrian (but are keeping our eyes open to see if something else pops up that looks good).

15 hours ago, stoneman56 said:

Seems like you stuck with a lot of the touristy spots like Ocean Drive. You won't find many locals eating on Ocean Drive at all. Every city has its "tourist traps" As others have stated adding a tip is not illegal, as almost 50% of our visitors are from overseas many of them don't tip. 

As for the English. It depends, though I am sure a lot of the non-English you were hearing was from visitors. Next time stay in the mainland and see the local Miami. 

10 hours ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

We won’t be there Memorial Day weekend.  Early May.    Thanks for the restaurant recommendation!

Great, then you are in the clear. Yardbird is my favorite spot in Miami Beach. You'll see locals recommend places on the mainland a lot more. Miami Beach is certainly much more "touristy" but Yardbird is great spot that locals love as well. I can recommend a few others as well if you wish. But you 100% should take recommendations when dining in Miami Beach as there are some pretty below average and even sometimes scam tourist type places. 

3 hours ago, Flymia said:

. But you 100% should take recommendations when dining in Miami Beach as there are some pretty below average and even sometimes scam tourist type places. 

We'll be in town for one lunch and one dinner - I'd like to eat Cuban at least one meal. Staying in Miami Beach, I've noted Puerto Sagua as a good option. Thoughts? 

On 7/9/2019 at 9:59 AM, BlueHerons said:

Not a hassle at all.

I always use hotwire to book my Miami Beach hotels.

The Catalina Beach Resort is a great value.  Temperpedic beds, black out curtains, free happy hour, rooftop pool, etc.

I've gotten it as cheap at $50 in summer and $100 in peak season off hotwire.

It's across the street from the beach but includes beach chairs in the resort fee.  FWIW,  all Miami beach hotels will charge a resort fee.

Thank you for advising Hotwire...   been googling it   They do give you an idea of what hotel you may get.  

On 7/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, Hoyaheel said:

After recommendations from another board here, I looked up The Betsy. Wouldn't mind staying there! Alas, $650 for the one night before our December cruise is a little higher than my budget for the night. We booked The Mondrian (but are keeping our eyes open to see if something else pops up that looks good).

Honestly, I think The Mondrian is MUCH nicer than The Betsy.  For one it is one the water.  Secondly, the pool at the Mondrian is one of the best and the largest in South Beach.  I would choose the Mondrian over The Betsy.

You also get beach and pool use at The Delano and Shore Club by staying at Mondrian.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, Hoyaheel said:

We'll be in town for one lunch and one dinner - I'd like to eat Cuban at least one meal. Staying in Miami Beach, I've noted Puerto Sagua as a good option. Thoughts? 

Yes, Puerto Sagua is excellent.  You'll see a lot of locals eating there.

Keep in mind tho it is more a diner.  If you want good Cuban and want to dine alfresco, we like the Havana 1957 on Espanola Way.  Gorgeous at night.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Thank you! [we don't need fancy - just good food 😉 ] Heck, I've also made a note to go get stone crabs at publix and have a picnic in my hotel room based on another thread, so.... 😉 

Don't forget the mustard sauce, they virtually always have it right in front of the fish case.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, Hoyaheel said:

Puerto Sagua is more "local" and Havana 1957 more corporate/refined.  We really enjoy Havana 1957 as we have a location near us, great live music and drinks, however, it's pricey for cheapo Cuban food.  You can't go wrong with either one, though.

• Like 1