Cruise Critic Community
beshears

Carnival Sensation - Miami, FL

We are thinking (8 of us) of doing the Sensation next year.  The cruise is only for 5 days.  Since we have never really spent any time in Miami, FL, I was wondering if anyone here on the boards could recommend something to see/do while we are there?  The reason I say this, we are thinking of going in a day or 2 early before we cruise. The cruise dock in Miami, is it close to a beach or anything else, or do we need to lease a car to do any traveling?

If you have never been here take an everglades tour/airboat you will see all kinds of wildlife. enjoy your stay in our beautiful state.

Posted (edited)

I like Vizcaya - a historic mansion estate turned into a museum which is not very far from the cruise port. And I like South Beach, which is also nearby. Funky quirky area with Art Deco architecture.  There are a massive number of accommodations within a 30 minute drive to port including most chains if you are loyal to a brand, or in the Miami Beach area there are everything from the storied Fontainebleu (pronounced Fountain-Blue) where many famous people have stayed to even more luxurious options like the Four Seasons, or back the other way, simple old 3 story historic properties that offer little more than clean sheets and a door that locks.  Various levels of restoration and upgrades over the years provide tremendous choice.

I would rent a minivan or similar for the couple of days to have total control of my transport rather than rely on Ubers or other ride services for a group that large, but that's just me. 

Edited by KmomChicago

Thank you for your advise in Miami.  I know a couple years ago, we had some extra time before our flight, and we were able to get a FREE bus transportation to town.  That was a wonderful experience walking and checking it out, as well as eating in town too.  This way we were not sitting for hours just looking at our phones or people, but actually checking out an area that we had never been/seen before.