Cruise Critic Community
wirral36

Royal suite and general independence questions

we are going on Indy at the end of August. I have some questions if anyone knows the answers. 

Do they take take away your belongings from the suite deck loungers if you’re in the pool more than 30 mins or away for more than 30 mins ? I know they do with the normal chairs round the pool. 

is ice cream self serve or is someone there making them ?

royal suite - does anyone know how many the hot tub on the balcony will hold ?

and also is the sofa bed comfy ? My kids will be sleeping in there. It looks grubby in some pictures and not in others. Any ideas ? 

Does anyone have the past 2019 cruise compass for Southampton to Spain and France ?

Many thanks

•  

Posted (edited)

Royal Suite Hot tub....based on the photos...I would say 2 comfy, 4 if you are 'close'  😉

GOPR2330-1024x768.thumb.jpg.818eb0dde63fbfb4793dd95fefe37b0f.jpg

My 12 and 8 yr old have split a RC sofa beds many times (Royal Suite Grandeur and owner's loft on Anthem) and never complained that it was uncomfortable.  In fact...they say it was more comfy than the pull out bed at the beach house 😉

Ice cream is 'usually' self serve, but sometimes they have someone working the machines during high demand times

RC has a 'stated' policy around deck chairs...I've never seen the staff move anything however.  With that said...I've also never had a problem getting a seat....but.....we usually get to the pool just before they open it for the day, swim for a couple hours, and then go do something else.

Edited by dodgestang

Thank you so much for your reply. Last tile we sailed on Indy, our stuff was taken regularly after 15 minutes of being away from the lounger. Took the kids to the toilet in the room and everything was gone when we got back. 

Also a guy it was doing the ice creams on the pool deck and was adamant 1 ice cream per person and I wasn’t allowed to get 1 for each child unless they were with me. He measured them too up against each other so they weren’t too big. 

Saw a pic of a large hot tub that was on the presidential suite. Seems in the refit the pd has been replaced by 2 grand suites and hot tub gone. Was hoping the larger one was in the royal suite but doesn’t look like it is. Looked like it sat 6. 

Well maybe with indy being so much bigger things are different.

In my experience

On Grandeur no one ever manned the ice cream machine.

On Anthem it had an attendant a couple of times at peak time but other than that was also unmanned.

I’m used to the oasis class and quantum class. Going on Indy was a shock to the system as everything is monitored and chargeable. The drinks package is very closely monitored. 1 drink per 10 minutes. 

1 minute ago, dodgestang said:

Well maybe with indy being so much bigger things are different.

In my experience

On Grandeur no one ever manned the ice cream machine.

On Anthem it had an attendant a couple of times at peak time but other than that was also unmanned.

I've seen the frozen dessert machine manned by crewmembers on Adventure.  They actually made the line go faster and the area was much cleaner than when guests had direct access. 

10 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

The drinks package is very closely monitored. 1 drink per 10 minutes. 

That’s very unusual. 

I’m hoping it was a one off. I think we had a bad sailing that week. Most of the bad reviews online were of that week. Not royals fault, the people sailing were very lacking in clothing and manners. It was like an 18-30 hol. Over run with teens, drunks, fighting, being sick on the outside decks and other things. Felt intimidated and unsafe for first time ever on a cruise. So giving Indy another go this time. Hoping for a better experience. 

Stay in your suite ;).

Order drinks, sit in the hot tub, watch the waves go by 😉

Recently in the Royal Suite on the Mariner and there is no hot tub anymore.  Evidently they leak a lot and so no more hot tubs.  Not sure which other ships are affected.. The Sofa bed is very large and should be fine for your grandkids.

12 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

I’m hoping it was a one off. I think we had a bad sailing that week. Most of the bad reviews online were of that week. Not royals fault, the people sailing were very lacking in clothing and manners. It was like an 18-30 hol. Over run with teens, drunks, fighting, being sick on the outside decks and other things. Felt intimidated and unsafe for first time ever on a cruise. So giving Indy another go this time. Hoping for a better experience. 

I understand that Royal no longer sells drink packages on short cruises out of the UK.

They are selling them for the 6 night sailing out of Southampton 

Just now, wirral36 said:

They are selling them for the 6 night sailing out of Southampton 

Aren't there shorter (3 or 4 night) sailings out of Southampton?

13 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Stay in your suite ;).

Order drinks, sit in the hot tub, watch the waves go by 😉

Hmmm. Sounds great. Where do u usually sail out of ?

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Aren't there shorter (3 or 4 night) sailings out of Southampton?

There are yes, this year though there are 6 and 14 nights out of Southampton aswell. This is only until Indy moves onto usa and Caribbean sailings. 

We sailed on Indy recently.  Noticed that the ice cream on pool deck was manned.  Two crew members during peak times and sea days.  I really liked it that way, seemed to move faster and more sanitary.  

The other thing we noticed was that they didn’t  have water dispensers anywhere near the Solarium.  We had to wait in line at bar for water.  All of the other ships we have been on had water and lemonade type drink available.

Just now, TinkBellaMom said:
2 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

We sailed on Indy recently.  Noticed that the ice cream on pool deck was manned.  Two crew members during peak times and sea days.  I really liked it that way, seemed to move faster and more sanitary.  

The other thing we noticed was that they didn’t  have water dispensers anywhere near the Solarium.  We had to wait in line at bar for water.  All of the other ships we have been on had water and lemonade type drink available.

Did u have to carry the drinks cups around with u for the dispensers ?  Did u go in school holidays ? Just wondering how busy is was onboard. So many people have said it’s overcrowded since the refit. I guess it depends what you do and if it’s in peak times. I think we will stay onboard when people get off so we can do the things we missed out on last time. This time it’s about relaxing rather than running around doing everything. 

do you remember what time they closed the pools off ?

11 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

Hmmm. Sounds great. Where do u usually sail out of ?

Bayonne, NJ, USA

and

Port of Baltimore, MD, USA

8 minutes ago, TinkBellaMom said:

The best I've seen in the Solarium on a Voyager/Freedom class ship is a container of ice water with glasses nearby.  An I don't see this very often at all.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:26 PM, wirral36 said:

I don’t, I do remember walking on that deck  in Solarium and there would be netting over pool around 9:00 or so.  Hot tubs in Solarium were busy, Bar was closed on that side, you had to go out into main pool area for a drink.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:26 PM, wirral36 said:

Since the lifeguards have been added, it seems that the pools are closed around 10pm.

hi, thank you. 

Do do you have ideas on things to take for storage ? 

3 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

hi, thank you. 

Do do you have ideas on things to take for storage ? 

Magnetic hooks (for ceiling & walls) are useful.  Also, shoe organizers that mount on a door.

We tried that on harmony last year, the magnets kept sliding off 😂