Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alberta Quilter

Boston - what's the best way (for us) to get from airport to hotel?

Travelling with my 83 year old mother, who uses a cane while travelling. We'll have a suitcase and carry-on each.  Our flight lands at 6:20 pm on the Saturday night of Labour Day weekend and we'll be staying at the Boston Sheraton in Back Bay.  I don't think we're up to schlepping two bags each on a subway in an unfamiliar city.  What are our options for getting to the hotel? 

I've not used Uber yet.  Is Uber better (more economical) than a taxi?  I did read about a shuttle to Back Bay; is that something to consider? Or would there be a bit of a hike in Back Bay to get to the hotel from the drop-off point?  What would be the simplest?  We'll be tired (and possibly hangry!) after a fairly long travel day so simple can be good, even if it's not the most economical.  Safety is also a consideration.

Thanks for your help!

I have generally found uber to be less expensive than a taxi but one of the two would be my recommendation.

From the totality of your description, I'd just grab a cab and be done with it. Yes, Uber is probably less expensive, but you've not used it before, and there are several levels of Uber service in most metropolitan areas (pool, Uber-X, etc.). Traveling with your 83 year old mother with a cane is not the time I'd experiment!

I would agree with the posters above and just take a taxi.  The fare should be between $25-35 including tip (US) depending on traffic.  At that time on a Sunday evening, even with the holiday weekend, the traffic should not be too bad.  It will be about a 15 minute ride.

The Logan Express Back Bay bus would drop you off at the Hynes Convention Center which is literally next door to the Sheraton, but it is still a fairly long walk and down a fairly steep hill to the front entrance to the Sheraton.  It is $3 per person so it is quite economical but after a long day of travel the taxi might be much easier.  There a many places to eat very close to the Sheraton including the Boston location of Eataly by Lidia Bastianich.  I am not sure of the hours on Sunday, but there are many restaurants and markets within.  The mall attached to the Sheraton also has many other places to eat as well as hundreds nearby in the Back Bay.

Have a good trip!

https://massport.com/logan-airport/to-from-logan/transportation-options/logan-express/back-bay/