Cruise Critic Community

We've been all over the Caribbean but finally got our extended family on a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso.  I know they want to see beaches.  We were never too impressed with what there is in Cozumel but have no idea what is in Progreso.  Can anyone tell me the absolute best beach to go to in either place?  Which is better as far as beaches go, Cozumel or Progreso?  We don't necessarily want a big party scene but being able to get drinks would be good.  Any help would be appreciated.  

11 minutes ago, KansasBeachLover said:

We've been all over the Caribbean but finally got our extended family on a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso.  I know they want to see beaches.  We were never too impressed with what there is in Cozumel but have no idea what is in Progreso.  Can anyone tell me the absolute best beach to go to in either place?  Which is better as far as beaches go, Cozumel or Progreso?  We don't necessarily want a big party scene but being able to get drinks would be good.  Any help would be appreciated.  

If you are not impressed with Cozumel i doubt you will be impressed with Progreso.

Maybe tell us where you have already tried in Cozumel that you didn't like, ages of your party and activities you are looking for and we will be better able to offer suggestions. 

Sorry, I was trying to keep my post from being too long and wordy.  We've been to some of the beach clubs on the west side of the island.  And we also drove around the island and stopped at a beautiful beach on the north side with a small restaurant and bar there, but nothing else around.  It was great for a stop and a drink but not an all day situation.  We will range in age from 10 to 70 actually.  We will have between 13 and 20 people.  Some are still deciding.  We have not been to Paradise beach and I've read that one is most popular with having kids because of all the floating things they have.  But how is that one for adults who might want to put on a snorkel mask and go look around?  Looking for kind of a balance.

I took another look at a map and we were actually on the east side when we found that beautiful beach with a restaurant/bar.  It was absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think it's the right type of beach for what we're doing this time.  Maybe we'll just do Paradise Beach like everyone else.  I was just curious if there was anything else to offer in Progreso.

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, KansasBeachLover said:

I took another look at a map and we were actually on the east side when we found that beautiful beach with a restaurant/bar.  It was absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think it's the right type of beach for what we're doing this time.  Maybe we'll just do Paradise Beach like everyone else.  I was just curious if there was anything else to offer in Progreso.

OK. I was thinking that  you probably meant east side in Cozumel, not north.

East side has the better beaches but the sea is too rough and currents for swimming except for a few limited areas. There are probably 6-9 bars on that side which as an older couple we prefer but not as satisfying for teens. If you solely want a beach day Paradise beach is probably good for your age range. If you want more variety and activities (but no inflatable water toys) I would suggest Chankanaab for convenient one-stop shopping but it comes with entrance fee. For true variety and customization (photo stops, tequila/chocolate tour, culture/food stops, snorkeling) you might look at a tour to various locations with ToursPlaza for 3 hours finishing at Paradise Beach and independent taxi back.

http://www.toursplaza.com

Progreso is not renowned for its swimming from the beach (gulf). This post offers good insight

We just had a stop there last week and had a pleasant time at Maya Ka, ( nice restaurant set-up and small dip pool which was quiet the day we were there but  imagine it could get crowded). Our planned excursion to Xtabentun factory and Merida was cancelled. There are many restaurants and beach set ups along the malecon but probably not what you are looking for for all day. Previously we have done the ruins and an AI Day pass.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks so much for your advice!  I think we'll plan on something like Paradise Beach in Cozumel and maybe a Merida or cenote tour in Progreso.  I appreciate the information very much.

Thank you for starting this thread.  I, as yet, have no plan for Progresso.  We are traveling with our six kids (6-19) and really are looking for a nice beach.

We are doing a Carnival excursion to Paridise Island on our Valor cruise next month.  It's pricey, but I wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in time as it is a decent distance away.

I have been to Playa Mia and Nachi Cocum on the west side and did not care for them.  The sand is so course!  It's like sharp little sesame seeds.  

I'm going to keep searching for something solid for Progreso and will be keeping up with this thread!

On 7/21/2019 at 6:32 AM, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Thank you for starting this thread.  I, as yet, have no plan for Progresso.  We are traveling with our six kids (6-19) and really are looking for a nice beach.

We are doing a Carnival excursion to Paridise Island on our Valor cruise next month.  It's pricey, but I wanted to make sure we got back to the ship in time as it is a decent distance away.

I have been to Playa Mia and Nachi Cocum on the west side and did not care for them.  The sand is so course!  It's like sharp little sesame seeds.  

I'm going to keep searching for something solid for Progreso and will be keeping up with this thread!

Oh come back and let me know what you thought of Paradise Island.  i'm curious about that.

Progreso offers what Cozumel can not FREE ACCESS BEACH. Once you disembark at the cruise terminal in Progreso you can take the free shuttle bus service. This shuttle drop you off a 2 random locations near the PUBLIC BEACH. The restaurants and bars are in front of the white sand beach, shallow for the kids. It has services such as kayaking, banana boat, jetskies and massages. The free shuttle service runs every 15-20 mins from the same spot it drop you off and back to the ship.

1 hour ago, Yucrux said:

Progreso offers what Cozumel can not FREE ACCESS BEACH. Once you disembark at the cruise terminal in Progreso you can take the free shuttle bus service. This shuttle drop you off a 2 random locations near the PUBLIC BEACH. The restaurants and bars are in front of the white sand beach, shallow for the kids. It has services such as kayaking, banana boat, jetskies and massages. The free shuttle service runs every 15-20 mins from the same spot it drop you off and back to the ship.

Perfect timing answering me!  We are on our way to NOLA right now!  Cruise out Saturday!

22 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Perfect timing answering me!  We are on our way to NOLA right now!  Cruise out Saturday!

I presume you mean Passion Island in Cozumel?